House Price Crash Forum

10K Limit Before They Inform The Revenue

HOLA441
HOLA442

Just wondering, why are dealers required to inform the revenue about gold purchases over 10k? Say if you bought sovereigns, aren't they cgt exempt and therefore what would be the point informing the revenue?

So they know who to take it off when gold is repossessed. ;)

Probably something to do with money laundering regulations etc...

HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest unfunded_liability

Just wondering, why are dealers required to inform the revenue about gold purchases over 10k? Say if you bought sovereigns, aren't they cgt exempt and therefore what would be the point informing the revenue?

They're not and they don't. They are required by HRMC to record customer documentation for single transactions over £5K or a total of £10K transactions in a twelve month period, but they are not required to pass them on to anyone.

Do you notify HMRC about my purchases ? (UK clients only)

According to HMRC's regulations we will ask you for certified and recent proof of address and certified proof of identity when you make gold purchases worth 5,000 GBP in a single transaction or worth 10,000 GBP in several transaction in the course of 12 months. We will not proactively send these documents to HMRC but keep them on file together with your order details and invoice in case HMRC wishes to check.

http://www.coininvestdirect.com/en/faq.html

HOLA445

Yes, presumably many people will be buying the gold with cash - they'll be wanting to make sure it came from a legit source.

I'm sure you realise I was being a little facetious but cash has nothing to do with my comment about money laundering. One of my local EA's has the following on all their RM listings:

"1. MONEY LAUNDERING REGULATIONS: Intending purchasers will be asked to produce identification documentation at a later stage and we would ask for your co-operation in order that there will be no delay in agreeing the sale."

As unfunded_liability has said, it's more about notifying HMRC about the transaction (ie the seller's details if over £10k worth) not the buyer. See Section 3.1 of:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000104&propertyType=document

A simple solution would seem to be to keep transactions <£10k and from different suppliers if you are worried HMRC might come after you.

HOLA446
Guest unfunded_liability

I'm sure you realise I was being a little facetious but cash has nothing to do with my comment about money laundering. One of my local EA's has the following on all their RM listings:

"1. MONEY LAUNDERING REGULATIONS: Intending purchasers will be asked to produce identification documentation at a later stage and we would ask for your co-operation in order that there will be no delay in agreeing the sale."

As unfunded_liability has said, it's more about notifying HMRC about the transaction (ie the seller's details if over £10k worth) not the buyer. See Section 3.1 of:

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000104&propertyType=document

A simple solution would seem to be to keep transactions <£10k and from different suppliers if you are worried HMRC might come after you.

HMRC is not automatically notified of bullion transactions. When HMRC limits have been met or exceeded documentation must be recorded and kept by the dealer, that is all.

7.1 Records to be kept for gold delivered or taken away by your customer

There is no mention in the above document of informing HMRC, just of recording documentation.

Edited by unfunded_liability

HOLA447

HMRC is not automatically notified of bullion transactions. When HMRC limits have been met or exceeded documentation must be recorded and kept by the dealer, that is all.

7.1 Records to be kept for gold delivered or taken away by your customer

There is no mention in the above document of informing HMRC, just of recording documentation.

Sure. 7.1 is about record keeping.

I was looking at 3.1 which is about notification.

"The first time that you make an exempt supply of investment gold which exceeds £5,000, or when the value of your supplies of exempt investment gold to any one customer is over £10,000 in any 12 month period, you must notify us within 28 days at the following address:"

Am I misunderstanding this?

HOLA448
Guest unfunded_liability

Sure. 7.1 is about record keeping.

I was looking at 3.1 which is about notification.

"The first time that you make an exempt supply of investment gold which exceeds £5,000, or when the value of your supplies of exempt investment gold to any one customer is over £10,000 in any 12 month period, you must notify us within 28 days at the following address:"

Am I misunderstanding this?

The dealer i.e. the supplier of investment gold, must send notification of themselves to HMRC.

HOLA449

The dealer i.e. the supplier of investment gold, must send notification of themselves to HMRC.

Exactly what I said at 9:02 PM which agrees with the OP's comment about dealers having to inform HMRC for transactions >£10k...

However what has not been answered is the OP's original question. Why are they obliged to do so?

Edited by pyracantha

HOLA4410
Guest unfunded_liability

Exactly what I said at 9:02 PM which agrees with the OP's comment about dealers having to inform HMRC for transactions >£10k...

jiFfM.jpg

One of us has had a long day... ...and it's probably me :) Bed time :)

Edited by unfunded_liability

• 3 years later...
HOLA4411
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4415

HMRC have implemented a new system called CONNECT which trawls through an individuals life-style. It looks at social media, purchases, spending etc etc. It looks at your life-style in greater detail every day.

It will throw up a miss-match for investigation. Basically if you get a letter, you will be guilty.

So 10K today, 5K tomorrow, 1K next month.

If you're self employed, probably best to get insurance against investigation.

• 2 years later...
HOLA4416