House Price Crash Forum

Shall I Buy This?

HOLA441

Mildly interesting house on the market:

* Good location: quiet road on a hill, three minutes walk from open country (Dartmoor).

* Unmodernised: not overpaying for unwanted crap like radiators taking the best space in a room, or someone else's idea of a kitchen.

* Much lower asking price than anything sold on that road since 2003. Mortgage of less than 1xSalary leaves me money towards modernisation.

* Decent garden, veg patch, etc; may be good for ground source heat pump. Plenty of south-facing roof for solar panels.

Hmmm ... tempting ...

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

* Good location: quiet road on a hill, three minutes walk from open country (Dartmoor).

* Unmodernised: not overpaying for unwanted crap like radiators taking the best space in a room, or someone else's idea of a kitchen.

* Much lower asking price than anything sold on that road since 2003. Mortgage of less than 1xSalary leaves me money towards modernisation.

* Decent garden, veg patch, etc; may be good for ground source heat pump. Plenty of south-facing roof for solar panels.

Hmmm ... tempting ...

Linky?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest happy?

Hmmm ... tempting ...

Is it tempting because it meets your requirements or because there's so little else on the market that unconsciously you've lowered your expectations?

HOLA448

Hmmm ... tempting ...

Sounds like the sort of sensibly priced place that will sell very quickly, and possibly for a lot more than the asking price. No harm having a look at it, but if there is a bidding war, back out and wait for something else to come up.

HOLA449
Sounds like the sort of sensibly priced place that will sell very quickly, and possibly for a lot more than the asking price. No harm having a look at it, but if there is a bidding war, back out and wait for something else to come up.

Very plausible.

Saw it this morning: lots of others viewing. Agent said they've had offers above asking price. Full of junk: agent confirms the vendor is the previous owner's heirs.

Since price was the main attraction (little paid - little to lose), I'll drop it. Until and unless time passes and it's still on the market.

HOLA4410
Is it tempting because it meets your requirements or because there's so little else on the market that unconsciously you've lowered your expectations?

Neither really. Well, it meets basic requirements - once it's had quite a bit of work done on it. But it's not what I'd go for in a stable market, where I'd be looking for something much nicer and twice the price.

The attraction is a price on which I'm reasonably comfortable to take the loss, even if the market falls another 50% or somesuch.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest happy?
Neither really. Well, it meets basic requirements - once it's had quite a bit of work done on it. But it's not what I'd go for in a stable market, where I'd be looking for something much nicer and twice the price.

The attraction is a price on which I'm reasonably comfortable to take the loss, even if the market falls another 50% or somesuch.

Well there's a way to go before we hit the norm yet, and if you're prepared to take the loss the only other issue for me would be one of liquidity - if you buy now you're unlikely to sell for several years.

HOLA4413
Why does no one ever provide links for these? Do they think we're all going to come and gazump them?

In a word, yes :P

In this case, I hadn't told the full story. Namely, that a friend saw this one and asked my opinion (I'm not really looking at this precise location nor price bracket). I just thought wow, this looks interesting at the price; maybe I'll contemplate an offer myself if my friend decides she's not interested.

So it wasn't my secret to reveal.

My friend has now decided she's not going to put in an offer after we both saw it this morning (along with half a dozen strangers), so I'm not protecting someone else's find. So here's a linky.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
Guest happy?
In a word, yes :P

In this case, I hadn't told the full story. Namely, that a friend saw this one and asked my opinion (I'm not really looking at this precise location nor price bracket). I just thought wow, this looks interesting at the price; maybe I'll contemplate an offer myself if my friend decides she's not interested.

So it wasn't my secret to reveal.

My friend has now decided she's not going to put in an offer after we both saw it this morning (along with half a dozen strangers), so I'm not protecting someone else's find. So here's a linky.

Ah, the 1930's semi - not much to go wrong with a house like this. Well-tried design using traditional materials in a conventional way. Looks a little tired on the outside - the chimney needs work as does the pointing - also the roof may be going home. But none of these are major issues. I'm guessing the electrical and heating work will need doing too. Dampness around the bay may be an issue and the porch roof may be a little dodgy simply because of its age.

On the plus side these are all minor works and can be done over a period of time. Also with such a large garden it would be possible to extend sideways - anyone buying such a house should be set for a few years.

You could also keep chickens!

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
If you're thinking of this as a family home, that hill will be a killer with a pram/buggy on the two or four trips to school, playgroup, toddler club. Trust me I know.

Nope. And by the standards of West Devon, that's only a little hill.

I regularly walk or cycle a couple of the other (parallel-ish) roads going up the same hill, and see parents keeping fit pushing their buggys.