House Price Crash Forum

Krugerrands Seling For £700+ On Ebay

HOLA441

Looking at completed listings for the last few days Krugerrands are now selling for £700+.

As far as I can see eBay is almost the only place you can actually buy them at the moment.

Bodes well for the coming year - I can see a super bubble coming.

Glad I bought the bulk of mine at under £300 :P Only problem is I'd like to get some more but it's so difficult now.

HOLA442

Yes. I'm in the same boat. This has been the case for a while. Last time I called a large Bullion dealer in London, they admitted to me they had just one Krugerrand in stock!!!!!!

I use a http://www.bullionsupermarket.com which is a tool that searches ebay and compares prices to the Current gold fix to identify the best value stuff.

It covers lots of other alternatives to Krugerands too. Maples etc

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
1oz britannias are even rarer, you don't even see them listed on ebay very often now.

People that have them seem to be holding on to them.

<smug>

I have got about 20 of those. All 2007, in mint condition, still in Royal Mint packaging

ner-ner :P

</smug>

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

But, but, but £643, spot is £552.98 at time of writing so a whopping 16.3% mark up. I guess they must be finding someone to sell them to but why are they always so expensive?

Why would I pay Baird's premium's when https://online.kitco.com/bullion/products_uk_2.html has phils at £594, I get the coins by post exactly the same, they are both 1 oz. It doesn't matter to me if its a UK or Canadian company, in fact I prefer to buy abroad to stop the UK government logging my name anyplace. I only wish Apmex would ship to the UK to force competitive prices.

Perhaps I should buy a stack to put on ebay. It seems there are enough people out there willing to pay above dealer prices. I could make a fast profit. Perhaps these coins are not selling at, all but are bid up by shills in order to convince the suckers to buy at those prices.

Edited by thod

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
It would be good to here your thoughts before going any further.

Seems off topic for a krugs thread.

Your link looks like a brokerage to me. If you are wanting to trade PM contracts then there are vast numbers of brokers and platforms out there. What do you want to know? You haven't stated a query or area of concern.

• 1 year later...
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I found this comment on the Telgraph web site interesting. :

With regard to the price of gold, I think it is hard for most of us to understand the value of gold, because nobody has lived through a financial crisis like this- ever. This is different because of global interconnectness, computer trading and the massive derivitive market.

We can learn a few lessons from the Weimar inflation period the Great Depression, but they cannot tell us what to do now.

The UK is in a very delicate position. It is the financial walking wounded. Any shock will collapse the UK and the Pound.

What if the Irish elect Sinn Fein and they decide to refuse the EU/IMF loan after the election ? That would mean default on the loans to UK banks. That's it. That's enough to finish us. And that's not even a black swan event. Its a distinct possibility.

The Pound will be finished. That means hyperinflation since we are massive net importers of energy, food and raw materials. Savings, pensions and house prices will be wiped out. Now, what do think those nice arabs would accept for oil? Devalued pounds or gold? What would those nice Canadians accept for their bread wheat. Pounds or gold?

That is the value of gold. It's not like the tulip bubble, the Internet bubble, or any other bubble. Gold IS money. Has been for thousands of years. Yes, it's buying power varies, but it will ALWAYS have value as a means of exchange and store of wealth. We have to get our heads around that this is not just a cyclical recession. We are on the edge of a seismic shift. Do your research and get prepared. There is even a possibility that you have until Tuesday. There is an outdide chance that the Irish will not vote for the bailout on 7th December.

Its all happening on the 7th too.

Edited by GinAndPlatonic