The Redundacy Thread

HOLA441
  • Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Redundant friends so far are roofers, lorry drivers, builders, engineers, and those who work in the offices and head offices of those companies. And they think a small reduction in VAT is going to generate optimism?

Still quite a bit of work about for lorry drivers I think, based on my own experiences.

HOLA443
Some areas of IT do contribute to cost savings for physical businesses (billing & collections processes, stock management, manufacturing control etc etc)

Not saying it's crash-proof but has a shell that will survive, maybe even thrive.

Oracle shares aren't doing too good at the moment, if a major software developer like this goes up in a puff of smoke then the number jobs deleted in IT could be enormous.

I had to take a 10% pay cut starting this week to keep my job. I am a web designer.

Bad luck, but you still have a job, I lost a good client the other week who ran his own web design business, he was doing well up until October and then business came to a complete standstill.

Edited by Lander

HOLA444

The wife has just rung me to inform me that her company have suggested everybody going onto a 4 day week, loosing 1 days pay.

Between the lines it's 20% pay cut or loose your job, take your pick......

Most have accepted the offer. She is in the civil engineering game.

Merry

Christmas

HOLA445
Oracle shares aren't doing too good at the moment, if a major software developer like this goes up in a puff of smoke then the number jobs deleted in IT could be enormous.

Oracle isn't going to vanish. They could slash headcount and cut development and live off licences if they had to.

I don't know why people think share prices are so important - in 2000-2003 shares in oracle lost about 90% of their value even as the company was growing!!

The stock exchanges are stuffed with overpaid gamblers, gambling on the path of the shareprice without much thought to the underlying business.

Re: the number jobs deleted in IT could be enormous.

Thats right, because everyone would just stop using Oracle and switch off their computer systems. And nobody would buy the company at a bargain price to get the license fees.

Yeah, right.

Oracle has a 50% market share in large databases, with the license fees and income to match. They will suffer like everyone else, they'll probably make redundancies, but they'll still be there as long as there's an economy.

I contract in Oracle and although the number of jobs has gone down, its been nowhere nearly as badly affected as Java or other "sexy" skills. (as measured by jobs on jobserve)

Nobody I know with Oracle skills is unemployed. Yet, of course - ths shit will really hit the fan over the next year, when I expect people to be unemployed in most types of job.

I have had to take a paycut mind, so its not all roses.

Edited by ItsColdUpHere

HOLA446
The wife has just rung me to inform me that her company have suggested everybody going onto a 4 day week, loosing 1 days pay.

Between the lines it's 20% pay cut or loose your job, take your pick......

Most have accepted the offer. She is in the civil engineering game.

Merry

Christmas

Engineering is one thing we need to keep pumping out.

My dream would be to work 4 days a week when I approach 35-40 years old. Obviously not ideal for you two though, sorry to hear it :(

Really scary how many people are losing their jobs!! I wonder how long it'll take to feed through ..

HOLA447
Oh dear, I agree with you on that one. Green is unfortunately nothing to do with the environment any more, and all about

taxation, and social control! The latest policies appear to be to encourage people to "buy more crap", and then recycle it in the right coloured bin!

thats all it is. luckily most of the uk population have seen it too.

Have been about 30 redundancies in my company just recently (software company in the finance sector). I'm safe for now -

mmm.....how soon is now ?

Were there any rusty trombones?

not since lauriejohn was arrested at the scout meet.....

Not been made redundant yet! but had to take a 6% pay cut in order to keep my job. I'm a software developer

6% of your life has been made redundant.

Work in the motor trade (Not a car salesman). Was made redundant at the end of last month. Saw it coming since mid year. Cosidered trying to find similar job at different dealership

not the smartest idea ive seen on this thread.

I had to take a 10% pay cut starting this week to keep my job. I am a web designer.

see. even spiders are getting hit. this recessions going from bad to worse.

My dream would be to work 4 days a week when I approach 35-40 years old.

well, ok yeah. but ive had much better dreams than that.

one even had me as head of lotus and i was in charge of picking the models for the car show.

in the end i went for a couple of 'plumpers' from chubby gay dating, as most lotus buers kind of fancy themselves and are male, so why not go direct to the target audience.? i dreamed.