House Price Crash Forum

Firstplus

HOLA441

Following on from the Firstplus info in the other threads

Banking giant Barclays is cutting 300 jobs at its home loans division in Cardiff, it has announced.

Firstplus, which employs around 430 at its base in the Pentwyn area of the city, said it was no longer taking on new customers due to slowing demand.

A total of 130 staff will stay on to deal with existing customers. Alternative roles are being sought for the 300 across Barclays businesses.

The UK's biggest trade union Unite said it was "incensed" at the decision.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7495511.stm

HOLA442
Guest sillybear2

Not lovely.

"Barclays should replace the 300 jobs lost with work from other parts of the bank."

Like the in department filing for repossession orders, and CCJ's?

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
I wonder how many of the 300 are urban professionals who have bought into the luxury flat, IMPO, nonsense of Cardiff?

They are daft if they have, i rent a flat in Cardiff Bay and like most other place, its a heck of a lot cheaper to rent flats around here than it is to buy the gratuitously overpriced boxes they call 'luxury apartments'.

HOLA446
Guest happy?

Am I right in thinking that FirstPlus have used Carol Vorderperson as their pusher of choice? See - every cloud has a silver lining.

HOLA447

Trade union were "incensed".....does that mean someone hit them with a joss stick???

Nemo, Picture and now these guys...Cardiff's mini sub-prime financial sectorette has imploded since january.......there's only Fat Mac's Credit Emporium and DvD rental shop on Ninian Road left.

HOLA448
Guest happy?
Trade union were "incensed".....does that mean someone hit them with a joss stick???

Nemo, Picture and now these guys...Cardiff's mini sub-prime financial sectorette has imploded since january.......there's only Fat Mac's Credit Emporium and DvD rental shop on Ninian Road left.

It's always difficult to find any good when a business fails and people lose their livelihood, but having seen the effects of secondary lenders' activities they're pretty low on my list of priorities.

HOLA449
The UK's biggest trade union Unite said it was "incensed" at the decision.

Horribly OT, but...

I'll never cease to be amazed by union pronouncements like this. First Plus are, by the looks of it, completely buggered, and so regardless any other considerations, there's not exactly a lot of point in keeping the bulk of the staff on. Okay, I'm no union man, not by a long chalk, but whilst I can see the sense in unions doing their damnest to help their members maintain decent pay and conditions, I've never been able to understand "you must continue to employ people, regardless of whether it makes any economic sense or not" stuff like this. I just don't get it. It's like being "incensed" by rain!

HOLA4410
Horribly OT, but...

I'll never cease to be amazed by union pronouncements like this. First Plus are, by the looks of it, completely buggered, and so regardless any other considerations, there's not exactly a lot of point in keeping the bulk of the staff on. Okay, I'm no union man, not by a long chalk, but whilst I can see the sense in unions doing their damnest to help their members maintain decent pay and conditions, I've never been able to understand "you must continue to employ people, regardless of whether it makes any economic sense or not" stuff like this. I just don't get it. It's like being "incensed" by rain!

and the 130 kept on to service existing customers is bogus. Skipton owned HML will be pitching for this management business as we speak.