House Price Crash Forum

Cardiff Bay Overdevelopment..... "slum Of The Future"

HOLA441
Cardiff Bay could become a "slum of the future" because of overdevelopment, a leading academic has warned.

The building of large numbers of flats in the area with poor planning of vital amenities was to blame, said Urban Design Professor John Punter.

BBC

I'm not convinced journalists and others steal ideas from this site. But either they are, or we're way ahead of our time.

New build flats the "slums of the future" eh.

Must have posted that ten times..... :ph34r:

It is feared the value and condition of the unoccupied flats will decline and the absence of amenities and sense of community will lead to the area becoming a place where social problems do proliferate.

Ms Barrett said: "I'm concerned that when you've got empty properties, the landlords may well just rent them out to a wide range of people who may not be suited to that type of living.

"I think we could be storing up some social problems for the future."

"who may not be suited to that type of living" :lol:

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Just seen this on the BBC Wales News:

Cardiff Bay could become a "slum of the future" because of overdevelopment, a leading academic has warned.

The building of large numbers of flats in the area with poor planning of vital amenities was to blame, said Urban Design Professor John Punter.

Lorraine Barrett AM added there was lack of community in the area which could lead to a "ghost town feel".

But leader of Cardiff Council Rodney Berman said sustainable communities were being created.

Prof Punter from Cardiff University told the BBC's Politics Show: "There are an enormous number of apartments in the Bay at the moment which are unlet and unoccupied.

"We know we've been building something like 1,250 apartments a year. I would suggest that probably one third to one half of those are unoccupied.

"I think some of them could be the slums of the future, especially the ones which are more remote, more poorly designed."

Full news item here;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7442388.stm

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
How does this sort of amateur BTL find £80,000 to repay the balance?

well he doesnt, does a runner. its 9.4 time average earnings, and that doesnt take into account interest rates. so its around 10.1 per average earnings.

Edited by crash2006

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I saw it too, but took a different angle on the story..... thread

IMPO, the BBC saw FP's interview with the Swansea Evening Post last Tuesday, in which I believe he described the appartment developments such as those in Swansea as slums of the future, and they then went out and did an article on Cardiff... because everyone in Wales knows that BBC Wales really means 'BBC Cardiff'! :unsure:

HOLA4413
IMPO, the BBC saw FP's interview with the Swansea Evening Post last Tuesday, in which I believe he described the appartment developments such as those in Swansea as slums of the future, and they then went out and did an article on Cardiff... because everyone in Wales knows that BBC Wales really means 'BBC Cardiff'! :unsure:

Our "future slums" will be more famous than yours jack - getoverit :P;)