• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443

Kingston sale, asking price in November was 320k recent sold price was 230k ... the over priced property will just sit there unless they accept a big reduction.

That is a massive reduction, presumably on a flat? I have noticed that the asking prices have been coming down on flats much quicker and they seem to be moving faster than houses. There is so much more supply that there are probably quite a few forced/motivated sellers in the mix.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA444

My house in Kingston is under offer, and I keep getting these unsolicited letters from the marketing manager of another estate agent.

The latest one says, :

"Although I have not heard from you following my previous two letters, I am reluctant to give up hence writing again"

Goes on(paraprhasing a bit)

I believe your house is still for sale... keen interest in assisting you.

The most common reasons for not selling -- .not enough viewings, wrong type of person viewing...

agent does not have coverage,not tenacious enough at selling the appointment.

Goes on, explaining why their agency is brilliant.

This hard sell has made me not want to have anything to do with them.

HOLA445

My house in Kingston is under offer, and I keep getting these unsolicited letters from the marketing manager of another estate agent.

The latest one says, :

"Although I have not heard from you following my previous two letters, I am reluctant to give up hence writing again"

Goes on(paraprhasing a bit)

I believe your house is still for sale... keen interest in assisting you.

The most common reasons for not selling -- .not enough viewings, wrong type of person viewing...

agent does not have coverage,not tenacious enough at selling the appointment.

Goes on, explaining why their agency is brilliant.

This hard sell has made me not want to have anything to do with them.

Good for you. I would not listen to any of this either.

When I am looking at buying, I scan Findaproperty or Rightmove for the type of property I am after. It doesn't matter if that property is on with an agent who has taken one uninspiring picture and has an office not modernised since the 1970's or Foxtons where you get a 'marketing pack' and a free bottle of sparkling water while sitting down with the negotiator.

If anything, I would prefer to buy from the former type because the price is likely to be less. Unfortunately, most vendors are taken in by this type of tactic, so the best properties end up with the most aggressive EAs.

Good luck with your sale!

HOLA446

Good for you. I would not listen to any of this either.

When I am looking at buying, I scan Findaproperty or Rightmove for the type of property I am after. It doesn't matter if that property is on with an agent who has taken one uninspiring picture and has an office not modernised since the 1970's or Foxtons where you get a 'marketing pack' and a free bottle of sparkling water while sitting down with the negotiator.

If anything, I would prefer to buy from the former type because the price is likely to be less. Unfortunately, most vendors are taken in by this type of tactic, so the best properties end up with the most aggressive EAs.

Good luck with your sale!

Previous experience with them has scarred me to the point where I simply don't look at the details for any property from the latter... Shame really, some of them look like they might be nice.

HOLA447

Previous experience with them has scarred me to the point where I simply don't look at the details for any property from the latter... Shame really, some of them look like they might be nice.

I know what you mean. I shudder at the thought of having to deal with that type of EA, but if the right house came on with them at something approaching reasonable money, I would do it.

HOLA448
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Just noticed this has come onto the market. I quite like the idea of selling without an EA, but I think they will be struggling at this price.

http://www.mypropertyforsale.co.uk/property101402.html

It is a nice sized flat and has the advantage of a small third bedroom. The location is great too, but it is still a basement flat with no off street parking and only communal outside space.

Asking prices for good two bed flats with OSP in the same area now seem to be around £325k (down from £360k+ at peak). Assuming the OSP is worth about £10k, this vendor seems to be asking £125k for an 11' x 8' bedroom. :blink:

• 3 months later...
HOLA4410

So what's going on with prices then? I have read the last three pages, and it seems to be all about two bedroom flats for 550K?

I've been normally looking at East Dulwich. Starting to wonder whether we should really buy in a different area. I looked at Kingston and within .5 of a mile and got back some houses around Norbiton, New Malden. One thing I noted, was the rubbish properties that were on for 200-300 K all had tons of property bee reductions. That doesn't make them cheap. But it did make me wonder why people selling 350 K properties, don't seem as inclined to reduce as much.

What I wanted to know is how are the prices in comparison to 2007? Are these discounts or did it drop 15 percent like here, and then bounce back 10 percent? Anyone got any knowledge on average asking to achieved prices?

HOLA4411

What I wanted to know is how are the prices in comparison to 2007? Are these discounts or did it drop 15 percent like here, and then bounce back 10 percent? Anyone got any knowledge on average asking to achieved prices?

On average, I'd say that is about where Kingston is in comparison to 2007. As with most areas, the nicer districts now have asking prices above the 2007 peak, the worse ones are still about 10% below.

Norbiton can be a good part to look at. Proximity to stations drives a lot of the prices around here. This station is in zone 5, compared to zone 6 for Surbiton and Kingston. The journey from Norbiton takes about 25 minutes, which is only 8 minutes longer than from Surbiton - you are more likely to get a seat AND it is cheaper.

Norbiton has traditionally been cheaper because of it's proximity to the Cambridge estate, but once you get a few roads away from it, I doubt you would get any trouble from there. The nice Victorian area between the estate and the mega-mansions of Coombe Hill is probably 25% cheaper than the river roads area near Surbiton station.

I don't know much about New Malden, except that is in zone 4 and the prices seem a bit cheaper still (once you get past the other side of Coombe Hill, of course!)

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4412

I have just come across this classic:

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=9111282

This '4 bed mews house' looks more like a 1970's townhouse to me. It is a nice part of town, but I am sure that these go for around £500k. I am not sure if £749,950 is a typo that is supposed to be £479,950 of whether they think that the mews house status really adds a lot more value.

HOLA4413

I have just come across this classic:

http://www.findaproperty.com/displayprop.aspx?edid=00&salerent=0&pid=9111282

This '4 bed mews house' looks more like a 1970's townhouse to me. It is a nice part of town, but I am sure that these go for around £500k. I am not sure if £749,950 is a typo that is supposed to be £479,950 of whether they think that the mews house status really adds a lot more value.

Surely a typo? At that price you'd at least expect an ensuite bathroom.

Sometimes this type of house can be very spacious inside, but this one doesn't look anything special.

Of course the location + garage and parking are going to add a premium, but even so....

HOLA4414

Surely a typo? At that price you'd at least expect an ensuite bathroom.

Sometimes this type of house can be very spacious inside, but this one doesn't look anything special.

Of course the location + garage and parking are going to add a premium, but even so....

I'd have thought it is a typo, but if it is it hasn't been corrected.

G-Pees aren't normally one of the worst for ramping, but they do seem to sell a lot of the £1m+ houses in this road. This, combined with the 'mews house' description and the back garden photos (these look fairly grotty from the front), make me think that they might actually be serious.

HOLA4415
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4416
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417

what's up with kingston? seems the madness is never ending. was talking to a friend yesterday who told me about her friend who has a kid in tiffin school and wanted to buy a property near the school to reduce the commute for the kid. apparently she saw a house for 600k with 3 beds etc and a small garden and was so desperate that she put in a full price offer before seeing it because apparently there were a lot of other interested parties. she put in her offer on a friday and the next day she got a ten minute slot to see the property. she was truly disappointed because it was tiny and the pictures were very misleading and she withdrew her offer. but apparently there were many interested parties. somehow i find it difficult to believe even though the house is near a desirable school. only thing i can think of is that there is not much on the market and every new listing gets a lot of interest before it may peter out. please tell me there is no hpi in some areas of kingston. the same woman looked at other properties nearby and they all seem very expensive

HOLA4418

what's up with kingston? seems the madness is never ending. was talking to a friend yesterday who told me about her friend who has a kid in tiffin school and wanted to buy a property near the school to reduce the commute for the kid. apparently she saw a house for 600k with 3 beds etc and a small garden and was so desperate that she put in a full price offer before seeing it because apparently there were a lot of other interested parties. she put in her offer on a friday and the next day she got a ten minute slot to see the property. she was truly disappointed because it was tiny and the pictures were very misleading and she withdrew her offer. but apparently there were many interested parties. somehow i find it difficult to believe even though the house is near a desirable school. only thing i can think of is that there is not much on the market and every new listing gets a lot of interest before it may peter out. please tell me there is no hpi in some areas of kingston. the same woman looked at other properties nearby and they all seem very expensive

It's the schools - not just the two Tiffins, but in N Kingston there are 3 very good primaries and another in Coombe.

Proximity to Richmond Park is also a plus. I don't see Kingston itself as a draw - I avoid it as far as possible myself - but there's no denying that people do come for miles for a big M&S and John Lewis, among others.

But I do agree that it's mad. I was astounded recently when my elder and her b/f were househunting in Oxford - which I had imagined pretty expensive and probably not far off Kingston. The difference between what the same money would buy here and there - OK, not in the smartest areas - was an eye-opener.

HOLA4419

It's the schools - not just the two Tiffins, but in N Kingston there are 3 very good primaries and another in Coombe.

Proximity to Richmond Park is also a plus. I don't see Kingston itself as a draw - I avoid it as far as possible myself - but there's no denying that people do come for miles for a big M&S and John Lewis, among others.

But I do agree that it's mad. I was astounded recently when my elder and her b/f were househunting in Oxford - which I had imagined pretty expensive and probably not far off Kingston. The difference between what the same money would buy here and there - OK, not in the smartest areas - was an eye-opener.

I think you can only compare to the smartest areas. If you look at the poorer parts of RBK (Chessington & Tolworth) houses are very cheap by London standards. You could buy a 4 bed detached house there for under £400k, an amount that would get you a 2 bed terraced house at best in central Surbiton, and less still in N. Kingston. I guess there must be similar differences in Oxford, I have seen some really expensive places up there.

I must admit, I don't really understand how the school catchments work. If you were guaranteed places at Tiffin (subject to entrance exams) based on living just down the road, then that would definitely explain the prices. Two kids for seven years each at a decent fee paying school would be the best part of £200k. A lot of people would definitely rather move right to the school gates, pay £200k extra, give the kids an easy journey to school and hope to get most of that back on selling up when they go to university.

I am not sure it does work like that, though. I have often seen stories about kids coming in from other boroughs to go to Tiffin, let alone those from the far-away parts of RBK. Does this mean that local kids are not guaranteed a place?

In terms of the other benefits, I think it is that most other places are so bad! I'd probably do all of my shopping online if I wasn't a 10 minute walk from Kingston town centre. I think it is a nice town (if a bit rough at night!), and I like the proximity to the parks and river.

The alternatives are:

1. Moving to the nice commuter towns like Esher and Sevenoaks. They leafy are and quiet but have no real amenities and are just as expensive anyway.

2. Move somewhere like Guildford, which is nice and has the amenities but with a long and expensive commute to London, and prices aren't much cheaper anyway.

3. Move to another London suburb with a similar commute and amenities. Croydon, Sutton, Harrow anyone?

Edited by worried1

HOLA4420

As others have stated here, it's down to catchment etc...however, it's a con!

I'm afraid that paying over half a million for an average style property is a disgrace. When I buy, I really doubt it'll be in Kingston, as much as I love the area. However, for now, I'll let those who are mad enough to pay that sort of money to fight over that small third bedroom themselves!

By the way, sorry to hear about your burglary Mrs.Bear (read it on another thread)...I hope everything is ok.

HOLA4421

As others have stated here, it's down to catchment etc...however, it's a con!

I'm afraid that paying over half a million for an average style property is a disgrace. When I buy, I really doubt it'll be in Kingston, as much as I love the area. However, for now, I'll let those who are mad enough to pay that sort of money to fight over that small third bedroom themselves!

By the way, sorry to hear about your burglary Mrs.Bear (read it on another thread)...I hope everything is ok.

Thanks, K-J - it could have been an awful lot worse. We'd been up an hour before we even realized - they must have been in and out in no time, no mess, nothing but phones, computers, wallets stolen. As the Old Bill said, anything to sell for a quick fix.

It was just after that horrific crash on the M5, and all I could think was, don't stress about it, nobody's dead.

As for school catchments, entrance to the Tiffins is intensely competitive now, ever since the Greenwich Ruling that said they had to take more out of borough kids.

From what I've heard there are plenty of parents who move to Kingston, blithely confident that their nice bright kids will get in. Only to find that they don't.

11 plus coaching is very much alive and well in Kingston,

HOLA4422

Thanks, K-J - it could have been an awful lot worse. We'd been up an hour before we even realized - they must have been in and out in no time, no mess, nothing but phones, computers, wallets stolen. As the Old Bill said, anything to sell for a quick fix.

It was just after that horrific crash on the M5, and all I could think was, don't stress about it, nobody's dead.

As for school catchments, entrance to the Tiffins is intensely competitive now, ever since the Greenwich Ruling that said they had to take more out of borough kids.

From what I've heard there are plenty of parents who move to Kingston, blithely confident that their nice bright kids will get in. Only to find that they don't.

11 plus coaching is very much alive and well in Kingston,

Interesting about the Greenwich Ruling. I was not aware of that - when you type it into Google one o the first results is Edward Davey complaining about it.

It is a strange situation, parents in Kingston paying £200k over the odds for a house, paying more still for tutoring to get into Tiffin, whilst parents from the a***-end of Hounslow get almost as good a chance of getting their kids in for the expense of a longer journey!

HOLA4423

Interesting about the Greenwich Ruling. I was not aware of that - when you type it into Google one o the first results is Edward Davey complaining about it.

It is a strange situation, parents in Kingston paying £200k over the odds for a house, paying more still for tutoring to get into Tiffin, whilst parents from the a***-end of Hounslow get almost as good a chance of getting their kids in for the expense of a longer journey!

On the other hand, we have a local tip for local people. Have to flash a parking permit or council tax bill to drop your junk at the 'recycling center', apparently due to people from outside the borough using our facilities...

HOLA4424

Yes, there are masses of out of borough kids now, some coming from miles away, and I do think it's wrong. Kingston wanted to keep the grammars, others didn't. Why should kids from elsewhere take places from local kids, esp. when our council tax is so high?

My younger took the 11 plus just after the Greenwich Ruling came in (ages ago now). They had evidently pledged to let parents know if kids who didn't get into to Tiffin would have done so under the previous ruling. Sure enough, we got a letter to say that our younger was on the waiting list, but would have got a firm place under the old system. In fact it turned into a firm place quite quickly, and she was down to go to an independent anyway, but I couldn't help thinking how sick I'd feel if we hadn't had that option and she'd stayed on the waiting list.

Incidentally the independent she went to is one of the most fiercely competitive in the London area, highly academic, regularly comes in top 10 in the country. So that just shows how competitive the G Ruling has made the Tiffin entrance.

Grossly unfair IMO.

HOLA4425

Yes, there are masses of out of borough kids now, some coming from miles away, and I do think it's wrong. Kingston wanted to keep the grammars, others didn't. Why should kids from elsewhere take places from local kids, esp. when our council tax is so high?

My younger took the 11 plus just after the Greenwich Ruling came in (ages ago now). They had evidently pledged to let parents know if kids who didn't get into to Tiffin would have done so under the previous ruling. Sure enough, we got a letter to say that our younger was on the waiting list, but would have got a firm place under the old system. In fact it turned into a firm place quite quickly, and she was down to go to an independent anyway, but I couldn't help thinking how sick I'd feel if we hadn't had that option and she'd stayed on the waiting list.

Incidentally the independent she went to is one of the most fiercely competitive in the London area, highly academic, regularly comes in top 10 in the country. So that just shows how competitive the G Ruling has made the Tiffin entrance.

Grossly unfair IMO.

What a load of tosh, KGS is far better than Tiffins. We used to regularly beat up the tiffin pansies at the bus stop back in the days.

Thanks.