House Price Crash Forum

Mortgage Calculations Xls

Fred

HOLA441

Firstly, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Does anybody have, or can anybody make an excel sheet that I can show how much you end up paying on a 100k morgage on a mortgage lasting from 1 to 30 years. Lets say based on a 5% rate.

I'm not very good in excel and could maybe do the basic figures but dont really know how to take into account the bits that get paid off as the years go by.

I'm trying to show soembody how much less you pay overall if you have a 20 year mortgage instead of a 25 etc.

Thanks

Edited by Fred

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Does anybody have, or can anybody make an excel sheet that I can show how much you end up paying on a 100k morgage on a mortgage lasting from 1 to 30 years. Lets say based on a 5% rate.

I'm not very good in excel and could maybe do the basic figures but dont really know how to take into account the bits that get paid off as the years go by.

I'm trying to show soembody how much less you pay overall if you have a 20 year mortgage instead of a 25 etc.

Thanks

Take your pick.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/tools-and-cal...l?in_page_id=86

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Steve Cook

Thanks

Yes, I've got one I built some time ago. It calculates an amortisation mortgage based on any number of years for the term, on interest only or interest plus capital. Also, it allows you to plug in overpayments and then calculates forwards in terms of much this will shorten the term of the loan.

Give me a minute or two to locate it and I will post it here shortly.

Steve

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA448
Yes you pay almost double or over double depending on your interest rate with most mortgages. Thats why it always makes me laugh when people say renting is dead money, so is mortgage interest!

Don't. I had this argument for about half an hour with a man who works for an investment bank on Friday, and his wife just kept saying "but then at the end of it we have a house and you do not". Uh huh, but if I have £500,000 and you have a house worth £200,000, then...

Eventually it emerged that his argument centred around the fact that he would be better off financially buying a small flat than renting a large one. Then he accused me of comparing apples and pears because if I bought somewhere it would be smaller than where I live now!

Yes, yes indeed, people who live frugally save more money than people who chuck it around. But I could rent the small place, if that was the priority... Mad!

He also claimed that in the long-term houses go up more than shares. Umm, nope.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Thanks

I think I have attached a spreadsheet.

Apparently I am not allowed to upload this file.

The file is here

Edited by injustice

HOLA4411
Guest Steve Cook
I think I have attached a spreadsheet.

Apparently I am not allowed to upload this file.

You can get round this by zipping the file up prior to uploading

HOLA4412
Guest happy?
Don't. I had this argument for about half an hour with a man who works for an investment bank on Friday....

What does he do the rest of the week?

There was a time when tax relief made having a mortgage a no-brainer renting was always going to lose you money. Nowadays the tax relief's gone but the argument hasn't caught up with reality.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
There was a time when tax relief made having a mortgage a no-brainer renting was always going to lose you money. Nowadays the tax relief's gone but the argument hasn't caught up with reality.

Yeah - although beyond a certain level of deposit, unless your money is all in an ISA, you'd still gain more from "interest you don't pay" (not taxed) than from "interest you do earn" (taxed).

We should campaign for renters to have higher ISA allowances really.

HOLA4415
What does he do the rest of the week?

Yup, mortgage at 2.5% (staff rate) and salary increasing at 100% every 2-3 years. But still limited to max of 4x salary and 90% LTV.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Thanks

I converted the BBC Mortgage Calculator in to Excel.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/property/mortgagecalculator.shtml

And I have added a few cells for you to use in your example.

BBC_Mortgage_Calc.zip

BBC_Mortgage_Calc.zip

HOLA4419