House Price Crash Forum

Are You Observant Or Do You Miss The Signs ?

Guest grumpy-old-man

HOLA441
Well so far at work we have four 08 registrations, an Audi S5, a Toyota Aygo, a Peugeot 207 and a Honda Jazz.

One thing I couldn't answer, being aware I have a 3.0 TDi Audi A4 cabriolet, an IT chappie enquired as to whether he should buy a 2002 VW Passat 4.0 W8 4-Motion for the wife. It has been reduced by a local garage from £7999 to £5999, with full VW service history and a documented mileage of 50k.

He was considering buying a brand new Toyota Auris diesel on 36 months interest free but said the way things are he didn't want to take on any new commitments. Setting aside the worry that IT folks usually know whats going on before anybody else - should he take a chance with this Passat.

The petrol doesn't concern him as it will probably cover 4k annually tops and the £400 VED isn't a problem either when he is weighing it up against an £18k Toyota dropping to £12k within two years.

If only I was a poster on What Car forum !!!

If he goes for the W8 he absolutely MUST have an extended warranty..... if the cam adjusters go (which they do a lot, apparently) you're looking at a 3 to 4 grand repair.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I wouldn't recommend that Passat. The reason it is cheap is that nobody bought a 4 wheel drive Passat with an 8 cylinder engine as it's going to be *very* expensive to fix when something goes wrong - more than the purchase price. Insurance group 18, 21mpg and 317g CO2 (and that's for the manual) will mean steep running costs.

https://secure.parkers.co.uk/secure/content/pdf/22496.pdf

btw - despite what Parkers say, the Passat is not as reliable as Mondeo of the same vintage.

On the other hand he may get a good reliable car. I doubt it will have any resale value for him as the running costs will put people off. See if the dealer offers a warranty and get the car inspected to check it all works and hasn't been crashed. An HPI check and an MOT at a different garage may suffice...

I had a 4WD Passat 2.8 V6 from new for nearly 10 years, in fact only just recently sold it. It was very reliable overall. Sure the fuel consumption is high but apart from that the servicing costs were no different from e.g. a TDI. As for insurance I was paying £160 a year fully comp even though it was group 16 or 17.

HOLA443
HOLA444
apologies if already posted

THE SLEEP DEPOT LIMITED (IN ADMINISTRATION)

http://www.thesleepdepot-beds.co.uk/

"This decision will mean the immediate closure of 72 Land of Leather concessions, 31 Paul Simon concessions and nine independent stores. These closures will result in 367 redundancies, including head office and warehouse staff." :(

thats gonna hurt: thats at least 4 supersheds in this town alone

HOLA445
HOLA446

Very annecdotal, but I take a personal interest in Land Rover cars as I'm a big fan of the company, and surfing a few owners forums I've noticed a lot of owners (particularly Range Rover Sports) are selling up for cheaper cars. No comments as to why mind. Doesn't bother me as I quite fancy picking up a second hand one on the way down.

Edit to add that one was considering a Hyundai Santa Fe. Couldn't bear not to have a BIG 4x4.

Edited by Gurgle

HOLA447
HOLA448

Industrial estate where I work has a section dedicated to storing new VW cars. Normally 2 weeks after the start of new reg they have all gone - the place is still jammed full of 08 reg from March (and even 57 reg from last September still unsold) vehicles which have failed to find buyers. They must just be registering them to keep thefigures up and selling them as 'ex demo' with zero mileage I guess.

I'm so glad I sold my Range Rover last August... would hate to be still filling that with fuel and paying the road tax now...

HOLA449

i work in asda part time in north east. Figures are down from last year, hours are being cut, more people piling in at closing time, very infuriating for staff who want to get home and are late, but shows people are sniffing out those woops reductions. shopping trolleys are reduced, more brand and smart price goods, less luxuries, store credit card applications .been increased but more rejected for bad credit history, other shops quiet and closing down in area, more to buy or let signs up everywhere,easter sale prices in estate agents knocking off 15,000 from house prices, people moaning about prices rising and petrol prices yet noboby seems to have twigged yet what is happening!? :unsure: , the lull before the storm i think.

HOLA4410
Guest grumpy-old-man
Industrial estate where I work has a section dedicated to storing new VW cars. Normally 2 weeks after the start of new reg they have all gone - the place is still jammed full of 08 reg from March (and even 57 reg from last September still unsold) vehicles which have failed to find buyers. They must just be registering them to keep thefigures up and selling them as 'ex demo' with zero mileage I guess.

I'm so glad I sold my Range Rover last August... would hate to be still filling that with fuel and paying the road tax now...

I think that when everyone starts noticing changes in things that have been a set or certain way for a long time, it's very obvious that something big is happening.

2008 will not be a good year in the UK & US for sales on anything imo.

I heard on bloomberg last week that the new IPhone was to be sold at 99 euros (yes that's 99 euros :o:blink: ) in Europe, due to a big drop in sales.

HOLA4411
Industrial estate where I work has a section dedicated to storing new VW cars. Normally 2 weeks after the start of new reg they have all gone - the place is still jammed full of 08 reg from March (and even 57 reg from last September still unsold) vehicles which have failed to find buyers. They must just be registering them to keep the figures up and selling them as 'ex demo' with zero mileage I guess.

Might explain why the Wail on Sunday claimed vehicle sales were UP 0.5% on March 07. Which seemed extremely odd to me.

HOLA4412
When Credit Action change this stat

1/3rd of all groceries we buy today will end up in the dustbin.

to

No groceries we buy today will end up in the dustbin.

then we are in a deep recession. ;)

A third of the content of the dustbin ends up in our groceries

THEN we're in deep recession

HOLA4413

- More houses up for sale everywhere I go.

- Not so many people in the shopping malls or eateries. There's a few, but reduced numbers.

- More people looking for free entertainment.

- Flyers sent from EA saying that they can sell anything. Last year, it was get your home a valuation and about ten every week.

- Other people agreeing with you when you say the prices have to drop (but the ones with vested interests don't want to know.)

- House prices falling slightly on realestate.com.au but not by huge amounts.

- A smell in the air. Similar to fear, but much worse. Kind of like the scent of squealing metal or hot sparks when a train is coming and other people are standing in front of it, unable to move. There's a "low" vibe in places, as shops and places, even suburbs have less numbers of people out and about.

- General terror about IR rises and the cost of living. Every man and his dog at the local Aldi. Petrol is hurting and they are only starting to twig that it doesn't matter what the RBA does to the IR - the banks are going to add what they need to.

- People on bicycles everywhere (discounting the kamikaze racers who don't like riding in the metre wide zone but prefer 1 inch from your front left tyre). I wonder if the government will start taxing the cyclists next. :rolleyes:

- Trickle of media reports about the housing situation in Sydney and Melbourne but they are only telling the smallest measure. At least, it's better than none. Wake up, people!!!!