House Price Crash Forum

Monoline Rescue?

HOLA441
HOLA442
After the pull-back from rescuing the monoline insurers last week have there been any developments since? Surely the markets are going to just tank until this gets sorted?

Yes I think this is the key question of the week. From CNBC on Friday it looks like a massive road-block kas been encountered - and the Americans were as usual trying to schmooze it over on the report. However, if it does collapse we can expect that Black $$Day some time very, very soon.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Until - if - this gets sorted there are just going to be big reductions in the stockmarkets. Without a rescue plan in place then the risk to all those bonds is enormous. I suspect those rescuers are just haggling for a better deal unless, of course, they are now begining to wonder whether it is worth their while funding a rescue. If they don't then it will be down, down, down for the markets.

HOLA445
Until - if - this gets sorted there are just going to be big reductions in the stockmarkets. Without a rescue plan in place then the risk to all those bonds is enormous. I suspect those rescuers are just haggling for a better deal unless, of course, they are now begining to wonder whether it is worth their while funding a rescue. If they don't then it will be down, down, down for the markets.

http://markit.com/information/products/cat...ory_graphs.html

AAA now trading at 60c in Dollar. Freefall.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Rescue? Why would they need rescuing? They've just had their AAA ratings reconfirmed. Don't you trust Moodys and S&P?

p-o-p

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

They only had their AAA ratings confirmed because there was a rescue package in place. If there is no rescue package the ratings will drop and that will mean those expensive bonds that the banks hold will be worse less. I don't know why exactly they are worth less but I suspect it is that they are considered more risky if there is no insurance underwriting them.

Anyhow, at the moment it seems to me that a little old lady removing 10 bucks from an ATM machine is enough to send the US and UK stockmarkets into a pants wetting panic!