House Price Crash Forum

Ayrshire

cannonfodder

HOLA441

now now boys lets keep to the subject here please, take it out with the thread please and set up your own argument thread, i may even take part in it if its more than just a slagging match.

Anyway here s an idea for marketing and the EAs to keep their jobs, the last thing we need round here is more unemployed,

why not have a two page spread mainly featuring houses that have "sold subject to contract,"

Alongside the initial asking price have the "agreed sale price", all of which will be lower than what they had been marketed at.

This will have a two fold effect. It will hi lights to potential sellers that they are not going to get a sale at the asking prices of last year and that they should market their property at a realistic price, and it encourages more sales as potential buyers realise they will get huge discounts if they put in low offers.

The local EA's are finally on the side of the buyer. This would help them keep jobs and not loose all that lovely commission.

Just trying to help! ;)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Long Way Down,

Thanks for the response in earnest, indeed i am enjoying the hunt for a house (quite exciting i tell you!), As you may not be aware, the underclass as you state include more that those simply with mental disorder, it includes people disenfranchised from modern society for one reason or another! Read up more on the social structures in society etc, and thanks for highlighting my typing skills (or lack of, i didnt profess to be J, Archer), Tell me, have you found your calling as an english teacher? If so , I hope that you are not so presumptious about your pupils;). The NHS in my opinion is a better place without the likes of yourself, afterall practising when you appear to know it all is quite dangerous.!

As Karl Marx quoted, people look under the surface for the reality, many people who have bought over priced homes or decide to be greedy should have, i own 2 properties but bought for good prices, which will lose money, so in my opinion i can state the opinions i quite want to!, if this irks you , tough old chap. Having empathy for people in work is quite different from home life, do you emesh both together?, indeed it's not my problem you are a bitter with lack of back up etc at work. Furthermore, its good some of the old stale workers are away from the NHS, which has to look forward and not be kept in the past, i await your nice response;) lol

shuggy

Glad to be away from the NHS, full of know it all smart a*ses like yourself. Impossible to manage, and dangerous.

Old stale workers? Thanks, I'm only in my thirties!

No, I'm not an English teacher, and have no desire to be one.

You obviously know it all, a key skill of NHS workers today.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing - something I witnessed on a daily basis in the NHS - and one of the many reasons why I left!

Not bitter, just glad I no longer work with people like you.

HOLA443

Now boys can we keep to the subject of the Ayrshire Housing market and stop this silly slanging match!!

:P:P

Anyway noted a big drop on this house today, previously had a big spread on it in the Ardrossan Saltcoats Herald followed by a drop to 230K now have offers over price again although much reduced, will be interested to see if this now generates a sale!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-176...=3&tr_t=buy

HOLA444
HOLA445

Sorry guys nothing really to report only that moving 2 have had to close a couple of their offices and there have been more layoffs with the other EAs, after popping round them all today, the problem according to them is that sellers are dictating their price and not the other way about. According to all the EAs i visited today apparently the blame lays firmly with the and i quote one when she said "greedy sellers"

When i questioned them about what they were incentives they were offering their clients say after 8 weeks who had not sold they just stared at me blankly, I suggested you know like in england where if a property wont sell in 8 weeks you agree when you take on the property that you will gradually lower it to spark interest.... more blank stares but they 2 said they have started over pricing property at the bottom end and then offering 3 to 10 grand cash back depending on the price so as people can get their deposit from the cash back.

Is this legal?????

I must say they were really rather pleased with themselves about that one.

Another blamed the Irish for coming over and buying up all the property ?????? WHIT!!!!! who are these people?

anyway nothing to report just frustrated at those greedy sellers, oh and the Irish ... aye right!

Thoughts anyone?

HOLA446
Thoughts anyone?

Oh yes :D No sympathy for estate agents one little bit - they've had their snouts in the trough for several years by encouraging up the high prices with BS. They want, not necessarily the highest house price, they need quick turnover - nothing moving means no payment so I am surprised they aren't inserting clauses into the type you suggest by price reductions at particular stages. They obviously feel that it needs them all to do that otherwise they may miss out on getting the custom in the first place.

The Irish have been coming over for hundreds of years - how far back in history do they lay the blame at? Maybe you could ask them next time. :D

As for the cashback offer, new house builders offer these discounts as well as financial services ie credit cards et al so while it appears sinister, my hunch is that it won't be illegal - though I wouldn't stick the mortgage on me being right. :D

After years of talking the market up, it will be a slow process for the EAs to turn sentiment around. Remember, people up to their early 30s may never really experienced a prolonged downturn and/or recession such as the one being faced now...this is all a new to them being hit by the harsh reality of life.

HOLA447
Oh yes :D No sympathy for estate agents one little bit - they've had their snouts in the trough for several years by encouraging up the high prices with BS. They want, not necessarily the highest house price, they need quick turnover - nothing moving means no payment so I am surprised they aren't inserting clauses into the type you suggest by price reductions at particular stages. They obviously feel that it needs them all to do that otherwise they may miss out on getting the custom in the first place.

The Irish have been coming over for hundreds of years - how far back in history do they lay the blame at? Maybe you could ask them next time. :D

As for the cashback offer, new house builders offer these discounts as well as financial services ie credit cards et al so while it appears sinister, my hunch is that it won't be illegal - though I wouldn't stick the mortgage on me being right. :D

After years of talking the market up, it will be a slow process for the EAs to turn sentiment around. Remember, people up to their early 30s may never really experienced a prolonged downturn and/or recession such as the one being faced now...this is all a new to them being hit by the harsh reality of life.

As an Irishman who has recently told Move2 where to stick their houses you may have just caught a particular bitter EA!! :lol:

HOLA448

Just saying a quick hi !

Am originally from the Garnock Valley and 10 years ago married and moved to England with my hubby who was in the armed forces. He's recently left the forces and we've moved back up and are renting a 3 bedroom house in the Irvine area.

Patiently waiting for a drop in prices. We have 4 children, so really need a 4 bedroom house to live in comfortably. Have been lurking on site for months and avidly following ( using property bee) the market in this area. Cannot believe house prices are so high in this area considering your average run of the mill job here which must be working in one of the big supermarkets or in one of the shops in the retail parks here. What else is there to do ? Years ago I used to work in a big computer components factory at the top end of Irvine, but am not sure what's up there now.

We moved up last week and in both the carpet and furniture outlets we visted for bits and pieces for the house there were no customers in and we were jumped on the minute we walked in.

As another aside, 2 days after moving in here an estate agent turned up with viewers. He wasn't aware that the vendor had let the place as yet. After informing him that no, it wasn't convenient for him to be showing folk around ( family in and we were eating lunch, boxes, bubble wrap and step ladders everywhere and a baby sleeping upstairs)... he beat a retreat red-faced. He came back grovelling for a date for viewing 20 mins later. Said it would be 'in our interests' as the person's viewing were looking for a 'buy to let' for investement/retirement purposes and that they ex-pats over from Oz specifically for viewing properties here. Not entirely sure why they'd be coming back, perhaps the NHS ? Anyway this was backed up by my daughter coming to the kitchen when they called and telling me that ' there were a load of 'old people' standing at the door. After a chat and a follow up phone call, they are coming back next week to view. The vendor is apparently desperate to sell..though the agent did ask us if we were interested in buying the place ourselves. Hubby, also an avid follower of this site ( Hi Luv !)... told him no, not until house prices settle. Got the usual speil about 'prestigious address' and 'properties in this area being 'snapped up'.

Got to say I feel a bit miffed. Have just moved in with 4 kids, lock stock and barrell from south of England with hassles and expense galore. 3 kids are all starting new schools this week, and I'm having to leave the house 2 weeks after moving in for an hour so viewers can be shown round !!!!! :( I know I could've refused, but, if these people really ARE buy to letters, then we feel it would be better to let them have a shuftie and perhaps have them buy with tenants in situ and of course, don't really want to piss the (london based and desperate to sell) landlord off by being too awkward. Rock and a hard place really.

Neighbour started chatting to hubby last night over the wall. After inviting us round for summer barbies. He confided he's got three properties himself, that we should consider buying this place immediately and that he's conviced that the credit crunch and all 'that stuff' is just a 'glitch' and things will all be back to 'normal' soon. He's certainly of the opinion that an price drops won't be happening around here :rolleyes:

Ok, have introduced myself here. Looking forward to sharing my experiences in our quest for a family home. Unlike others around the site we don't have tens of thousands in the bank. We're working and saving hard, hoping that 4 bed houses in this area come down to a level where we can have a life also without paying out 3/4's of the income in mortgage payments.

Nice to meet you all. :D

ps please don't be put off by my username. It's just a favourite album of mine. ;)

Edited by violator

HOLA449

Hi Violator

Nice to meet you.

Have to say to say think you are really doing the right thing. Remain in the rental market for the timebeing. The market in Ayrshire is dead unless you keenly price your property they are the only ones selling. Neighour of mine has had 4 bedroom house on the market for 4 months now, last I heard she had not had a single viewer. Relative of mine also has house on the Market and no viewers either.

Dont let your neighbour influence you they have every reason to talk the market up!

With the changes in Mortgages in terms of loan to value and mortgage multiples the number of people who now cannot move up or first time buyer is increasing. I have been watching the North Ayrshire Market now for 6 months and what I can tell you I see real changes however the 4 bedroom properties are taking the longest to reduce prices. I suspect there are a significant number of people in these houses who managed to buy when rates were low and are now really hurting. They then put them on the market and because their neighbour got XXX a few months back they want same. They also need the money to clear debts and trade down. However they seem unwilling to lower there prices living in hope that the markets will pick up. In the meantime they are servicing their huge mortgages with credit cards!!!

I know this is the case, a couple of different people have told me their mortgages have jumped £500 per month at the end of their low interest mortgages and they cannot re-mortgage due to the LTV requirements now.

So hang tight for now I expect to see the 4 beds starting to reduce around July/Aug this is when sellers will get a reality check with Autumn approaching and credit cards being maxed out.

Good Luck

HOLA4410

hi Violator

Sorry to hear of your current quandry, thats terrible just being in the door 2 mins and people there to view, i concur with Lucy! hang in there as the prices are going to drop, indeed its the like the last resistance of the last great war ( such as theresistance, held out by Germans for the push on Berlin in 1945!) Hope all goes ok and you manage to stay in your property.

shuggy

HOLA4411

Hi Violator, stay in the rented place for a while.

Ask current landlord if he will give you a month's rent free if you allow, say, visits on 3 days of the week for the next 2 or 3 months. If he really wants to sell , this will test him ;)

I did this when I last rented and got a free month. Also, if the new buyer is a BTL person, they'll want to keep you as a tenant for a while.

You are in a surprisingly strong position, especially with the credit crunch kicking in :)

As for your neighbour saying it's a glitch ? If the price of a house is £100K in the area, then new lending rules by banks mean that the buyer will have to stump up a 10 or 20% deposit. I know the Ayrshire area quite well. How many people do you think have £20K sitting doing nothing that live around there ? Not many, I'll bet. £20K is a v. good salary around those parts !!

I read that Ayrshire has one of the most indebted populations in the UK, relative to income. Doesn't surprise me. Every time I return there, I ask myself how the 20 somethings afford brand new VW Golfs and the like, when they earn about 15K a year max ??? Obvious answer is the credit card or equity withdrawal on their ex-council house they bought for 40K which they now imagine is worth 100K ;)

Bottom line is that without 100% mortgages on offer, house prices in these areas will plummet. Sad, but true.

HOLA4412

:) Thanks all. You've really reassured me we're doing the right thing despite the hassles.

Had to refuse another viewing ( scheduled for 5.30pm tomorrow ). Thing is that it's just not convienient to have viewers in when the kids are around in the house, yet it's equally inconvienient to have to gather up 4 kids and mooch about in town for an hour or so, especially with the weather being so unpredictable and I don't drive. Hubby is abroad working at the moment (so we can save up like mad) so I'm on my own for now.

We've decided that we're just going to politely refuse to do them at all. We know we'll probably be out on our ear in 6 months but, better that than this sort of intrusion into daily life. I run a small online business from home also so need to be busy at the pc a good portion of the day without interruption ( barring baby demands of course ). I also was up until 11pm last night tidying and making the place look like some sort of showhome because I knew there was a viewing today. I know I shouldn't actually care.. but, well, I don't want anyone seeing my kids dirty clothes left ( as they do) lying, rumpled duvets or muddy footprints on the kitchen floor. Daft, but that's the way I honestly felt about it. :rolleyes:

Am also puzzled as to how on earth anyone affords the prices round about this area. Anyone I know in my (very extended) family, and friends here is either still in council/housing association properties, or have done a 'right to buy' for £30,000 a few years back. One of the things my hubby gets REALLY annoyed about is looking at the prices ex-council houses in a street have gone for and then looking at the price they're asking for now. An easy 40 to 70k if you can get it eh ! :blink:

Didn't the Experian report ( was it Experian ? ) a month or so ago highlight Glasgow and Ayrshire as one of the most at risk of defaults etc etc due to the very high number of 95% (+) LTV mortgages taken out last few years.. Sure I read that somewhere with Ayrshire coloured in in red compared to other areas in Scotland.

Oh well, better start monitoring the rentals again !

Edited by violator

HOLA4413

hi guys just thought i would update you all on what i have been up too. In the last three weeks I have put in three offers all been knocked backed first one offers over 179K i put 150K .... then 195k fixed i put 160K and then OO 189 I put 155K all knocked back and all offended apparently.

estate agents dont like me now its official.... lol.

But imagine you went in next week with offer 5 grand below my offers........ lol...... evil laugh. Not really evil even the goverments say property 40% overpriced now. Any one else making offers?

Usual moans from estate agents ie greedy sellers etc,,,,,,.

HOLA4414

Hi there,

Would i be right in saying next year house prices are expected to be at there lowest point. And with building firms not building at the moment due to the fact that no one is buying, Tradesman will be layed off and unemployment will grow and reposseseions will increase.

Now would be the right time to get the finances in place for next year to pick up some discounted repossesed properties ?

Kinda new to this guys so any feedback would be appreciated on finding repossesed property in ayrshire (scotland) so i can start doing my home work the now.

Cheers

HOLA4415
Hi there,

Would i be right in saying next year house prices are expected to be at there lowest point. And with building firms not building at the moment due to the fact that no one is buying, Tradesman will be layed off and unemployment will grow and reposseseions will increase.

Now would be the right time to get the finances in place for next year to pick up some discounted repossesed properties ?

Kinda new to this guys so any feedback would be appreciated on finding repossesed property in ayrshire (scotland) so i can start doing my home work the now.

Cheers

next year lowest point? I think it could take a few years to bottom out, 2 at the least what makes you think next year?

Building firms locally tying up loose ends and tradesmen already laid off from brickies to sparks, the dole queue is longer without a doubt.

Discounted and repossesed will only be bargains if bought at the bottom of the crash,,,, hard to estimate when this will be.

Prices are dropping locally, but slowly in the main, it appears there are not enough forced sellers just yet to bring about a crash but prices are dropping weekly by anything from 1k to 10k some, the odd distressed by as much as 20 to 30k.

where are you interested in, what towns or ayshire in general?

HOLA4416
next year lowest point? I think it could take a few years to bottom out, 2 at the least what makes you think next year?

Building firms locally tying up loose ends and tradesmen already laid off from brickies to sparks, the dole queue is longer without a doubt.

Discounted and repossesed will only be bargains if bought at the bottom of the crash,,,, hard to estimate when this will be.

Prices are dropping locally, but slowly in the main, it appears there are not enough forced sellers just yet to bring about a crash but prices are dropping weekly by anything from 1k to 10k some, the odd distressed by as much as 20 to 30k.

where are you interested in, what towns or ayshire in general?

Thanks for the reply cannonfodder,

I am currently looking in and around Ayr, Troon, Prestwick ect.. as IMHO I feel these areas are well over priced and may drop faster/futher than some other towns.

Cheers

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Like you the its getting boring...........until I saw this http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-218...=1&tr_t=buy I think this house started off at offers over £237,500 had a few small falls till today.

Now the biggie.............. over 10%

I'll search the rest of the market and report any others, this of course might be the one to make the rest of Whitehirst and beyond take a tumble!!!

Edited by lucy2308

HOLA4419

OH OH more pay offs at the estate agents, did the rounds this morning morale the lowest i have ever seen. Now blaming other EAs for out pricing and bad avising to clients......mhmmmm. Its dire for everyone including us buyers at the moment as no one seems to be catching on how bad it is, wonder when the denial will lift?

HOLA4420

Hi folks

some interesting moves i think this house for sale in Whitehurst Park in Kilwinning reflects reality! link here: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-219...=6&tr_t=buy

Last year at peak this house would have reached £165k plus in my opinion> myself and the wife looked at similar one over a year ago and it was around that range, when myself and the good wife, buy in a years time could be similar houses for 100k?

shuggy

HOLA4421
Hi folks

some interesting moves i think this house for sale in Whitehurst Park in Kilwinning reflects reality! link here: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-219...=6&tr_t=buy

Last year at peak this house would have reached £165k plus in my opinion> myself and the wife looked at similar one over a year ago and it was around that range, when myself and the good wife, buy in a years time could be similar houses for 100k?

shuggy

when we get back to historical averages, this house might fall by another 40K or more.

3 times salary at current price suggests earnings of 50K pa. plus there may be a 20% deposit to find ie. 30K.

A couple with no kids and good jobs might just be able to afford it. but then why have 3 beds ;)

Not too sure on salaries in N. Ayrshire these days, but would think the typical family buying that house will have about 35-40K coming in if both are working. even less if it's only one bread winner.

You might not be far off with your evaluation. Somewhere between 75-100K max. would be realistic.

Assuming a bank will lend them the money ;)

HOLA4422

:angry: ah Jeso Im so bored with this standoff and the idiocy of the EAs locally one telling me the other day that she is advising current clients not to bother dropping prices as they wont sell anyway because the problem is there are no first time buyers!!!! OMG can you believe this stupidity? I tried to tell her otherwise but she had that glazed over look, finally she commented that she is looking for another job and should i hear anything to give her a shout! eh not in a million darling not because your an EA but because your an idiot! :angry:

anybody any other anecdotes? TO SPICE THE THREAD UP and keep us interested?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

15k off this one. Reduced from £205,000 to £189,995. Been on since Jan.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-190...se&tr_t=buy

14k off this one. Reduced from 169000, to 155,000.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-216...se&tr_t=buy

Just also had an email off the landlord we're renting with. I recently drew a halt to any more viewings taking place as we were getting phone calls from the EA every few days asking when they could show folks round and we've only just moved in. He's very polite and while understands that this is now our home for as long as we are renting it.. that he is keen to keep marketing the property as due to the current climate he anticipates that the property may take a long time to sell.

HOLA4425

just thought i would let you know i have put in 3 offers recently all 25% below asking price! none accepted! YET! Estate agent now warming to me again, after aperiod of them being very angry with me probably becaue i am serious about buying and they are now starting to undertand what is happening.

I will continue to offer between 20 and 30% below current aking prices and will not buy untill I get a houe at this price a Ayrshire ha to be one f the mot overpriced area in the UK and 30% below is being very kind.