House Price Crash Forum

Forget Buying Overseas, Rent Your Way Around The World

soldintime

HOLA441
Once you enjoy your heavily subsidesed rental property in a nice warm location somewhere on our globe the next step is to swap it. Escape the busy school summer holidays and swap it for a nice place in Berlin, Paris, Barcelona or anywhere you fancy.

Check out these two websites:

http://www.homeforexchange.com/

http://www.intervac-online.com/index.php

Good quality life can be found on the cheap. Forget property ownership for the moment it is expensive and inflexible to a changing lifestyle.

Agree. We've been doing this for years. Given the high cost of properties in many European countries this is highly recommended. We're about to do our second 1-year swap. So it isn't only for 2-3 week holiday. This also works great for a few months or a year.

Here's another house swap site to look at:

1st Home Exchange

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Very sensible posts here - renting somewhere to stay on holiday, whether villa, apartment or hotel, has to be the only sensible way of enjoying your holiday without all the worry associated with property ownership.

I've always found it difficult to understand why anybody would want all the hassle of buying a holiday home in a foreign country where they don't understand the language or the law.

Or why anybody would want to come on holiday, only to find that the place needs cleaned, a long list of repairs need carried out, it's very hard to find an electrician, a plumber, a glazier, when you don't speak the local language, the local authority taxes need paid, and the garden is a wilderness because the chap you've been paying hasn't been coming.

Add to this that you HAVE to come to the same place every year, and the total is more worry than fun!

Dogbox, I was in Kalkan just over a year ago, and there are literally hundreds of villas for rent (and of course hundreds of owners who're desperate to find renters - most are lucky to get takers six weeks a year), so either your search terms are wildly off, or you're awfully fussy!

And going by the numbers of attempts at hard sell on property by practically everybody we came across, most of them seem to have realised that there just aren't enough renters around, and are trying to sell - there are about 800 (yes really!) houses for sale in Kalkan, out of a total of fewer than 2,000.

Soldintime's spot on, now's the time to rent!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA443
Very sensible posts here - renting somewhere to stay on holiday, whether villa, apartment or hotel, has to be the only sensible way of enjoying your holiday without all the worry associated with property ownership.

I've always found it difficult to understand why anybody would want all the hassle of buying a holiday home in a foreign country where they don't understand the language or the law.

Or why anybody would want to come on holiday, only to find that the place needs cleaned, a long list of repairs need carried out, it's very hard to find an electrician, a plumber, a glazier, when you don't speak the local language, the local authority taxes need paid, and the garden is a wilderness because the chap you've been paying hasn't been coming.

Add to this that you HAVE to come to the same place every year, and the total is more worry than fun!

Dogbox, I was in Kalkan just over a year ago, and there are literally hundreds of villas for rent (and of course hundreds of owners who're desperate to find renters - most are lucky to get takers six weeks a year), so either your search terms are wildly off, or you're awfully fussy!

And going by the numbers of attempts at hard sell on property by practically everybody we came across, most of them seem to have realised that there just aren't enough renters around, and are trying to sell - there are about 800 (yes really!) houses for sale in Kalkan, out of a total of fewer than 2,000.

Soldintime's spot on, now's the time to rent!

There are still a few good places to invest. However travelling around the world is working out very cheap at the moment - camping; hostelling; renting an apartment for around 6 months, can work out next to nothing. There is a new forum just started at http://hiday.net/ which encourages people to share travel ideas and experiences, as well overseas property hot spots - worth a try!

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA444

I have been doing this for three years now, I can work from anywhere as I have an online business. My main places have been New Zealand, Spain and Asia. I have managed to save much more money than I would have in the UK....and will eventually by in the SW of England as a cash buyer.

Like someone else said, companies relocate and offshore staff so why don't you follow suit! Just find work that can be conducted over the web.

• 4 months later...
HOLA445

Here an update:

The renting abroad concept is great. I have been able to negotiate my rent down here in Malta. It has also given me the flexibilty to go out and travel and rent again when I am back. I am now in Bali and loving it here. I am in Ubud a trendy place with lots of arty shops, very cheap food £1-£3 a meal and a bit cooler climate (2-3 degrees cooler as at sea level) as it is up in the hills a bit. I have had a look around and £250 - £350 would give me a great 3 bedroom house with beautifull views and a daily cleaner and gardener. There is also a great expat community out here.

Great way to sit out the global recession.

Visa wise you could stay here for a year.

HOLA446

Soldintime,

Interesting you speak of Indonesia. I used to live in East Java for three years. How can you stay on a one year visa? This one is news to me - I always thought visas like that had to be sponsored by a local firm?

As regards renting your way around the world - yes it must be a great lifestyle. Lot of a problem if you have 4 kids of school age as I do! Internatioonal schools are damned expensive - I know.

You also talk about exchanging houses - again, fine in theory. However, can you really do this when you're only renting and not owning the place? Surely the terms of your rental lease prohibit such exchanges.

Cheers,

John

HOLA447
Here an update:

The renting abroad concept is great. I have been able to negotiate my rent down here in Malta. It has also given me the flexibilty to go out and travel and rent again when I am back. I am now in Bali and loving it here. I am in Ubud a trendy place with lots of arty shops, very cheap food £1-£3 a meal and a bit cooler climate (2-3 degrees cooler as at sea level) as it is up in the hills a bit. I have had a look around and £250 - £350 would give me a great 3 bedroom house with beautifull views and a daily cleaner and gardener. There is also a great expat community out here.

Great way to sit out the global recession.

Visa wise you could stay here for a year.

OMG Bali Ubud :o , one of my favourite places ever. Monkey Forest Road, Ubud, Bali, one of my favourite addresses on the planet. :( Jeez how quickly time goes, please tell me it's not over developed and ruined, havn't been there for 16 years, what's happening there?

HOLA448
Soldintime,

Interesting you speak of Indonesia. I used to live in East Java for three years. How can you stay on a one year visa? This one is news to me - I always thought visas like that had to be sponsored by a local firm?

As regards renting your way around the world - yes it must be a great lifestyle. Lot of a problem if you have 4 kids of school age as I do! Internatioonal schools are damned expensive - I know.

You also talk about exchanging houses - again, fine in theory. However, can you really do this when you're only renting and not owning the place? Surely the terms of your rental lease prohibit such exchanges.

Cheers,

John

John,

You get the multiple entry visa for Indonesia which allows you to stay 1 year with 60 days at a time. Some officials can be bribed to let you stay longer than 60 days for a small fee.

With regards to exchanging my rented home. Yes it is possible. I just exchange my house, it is allowed for friends and family in my contract. Exchangers are friends.

Yes having lots of children makes this lifestyle harder. I only have a 1 year old and I envisage to have to stop this country hopping lifestyle will have to stop when she reaches 5. I have 4 years to make the most of it. After that I hope for longer stints in certain countries.

But my neighbour was an accountant in the UK. He is doing now all his work remotely, his kids 9 & 11 go to local schools and he is happely renting. It does not suit everyone but it can be done.

Cheers,

Soldintime

HOLA449
OMG Bali Ubud :o , one of my favourite places ever. Monkey Forest Road, Ubud, Bali, one of my favourite addresses on the planet. :( Jeez how quickly time goes, please tell me it's not over developed and ruined, havn't been there for 16 years, what's happening there?

I was in Ubud 14 years before that. It has changed a lot. Boutique stores and arts shops line the streets of Ubud surrounded by rice fields. Hotels and houses have all a SPA feel which is great. It has a lot of good things to make it a base for a few years:

* SPA feel without the SPA prices - 1 hour massage only 3.50

* Good restaurants with more choice than Indonesian only. Again at prices I won't have to cook

* Cheap rental - nice furnished places in the middle of ricefields can be had for 350 a month

* Boutique shops to keep the wife entertained

* expat community (lots of artisitc and yoga minded types though)

* international chreches are available

* can afford to have a driver, a cleaner and gardener.

Minus - fast internet is expensive, I need this to do my work.

So Ubud has developed but not over developed. I could not recognise Kuta after 14 years.

Sold

HOLA4410

Ooo just what I thought when I saw Ubud mentioned. I stopped there for 2 months in 1989 (at the top of Monkey Forest Road) opposite Satri's Warung and fell completely in love with the place and the people. Went back 10 years ago with Mr Quine and I think it has changed. Feels quite international, food on a par with any top city and flashy, expensive hotels. (Satri's Warung has moved to the opposite side of the road and Cafe Ubud (one in the middle of the rice paddy) had gone!!!)

Reminder to self: mistake to go back and expect everything to be the same. Best to leave the most fantastic memories as they are. Still brings a sentimental tear to my eye when I remember my time there nearly 20 years ago.

• 6 months later...
HOLA4411

Yeah renting is still the way forward. I have found I have had enough of island living in Malta and because I do not have to sell I can move whenever I want.

Why buy a house in Spain. Check this website wit cheap long term rentals. http://www.eyeonspain.com

Have a look at this property I found. http://www.eyeonspain.com/Holiday-Rentals-...aspx?apt=RP2181

3 bedroom apartment with communal swimming pool for €295 a month. It must be much cheaper than the mortgage on the place. Plus when you have had enough of it you go.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Bali is a great place to hang out, I prefer the coast to Ubud, somewhere like Seminyak nr kuta, quality at a cheap price! Same the visa situation is so tricky though!

Liked your blog and forum. It seems like you have had a great time going around the globe whilst earning. At the moment we do a mix of 3 things:

* Staying at a home base for 4-5 months a year

* Home Exchanging our base for 2-3 months a year.

* Travelling the rest of the year.

I am trading the forex market whilst doing this.

HOLA4414

I could not PM you so here a short version of what i was going to send you.

I like to trade on a platform that is called metatrader. Metatrader is used by 50% of the retail forex brokers in the world. The reason is that there is a lot of software written that can automate trades. Watch out as there are a lot of con artist out there promissing quick riches.

Best websites are:

* www.babypips.com - do all their classes first before doing anything else. This is a fantastic and free website dedicated to forex training.

* www.forex-tsd.com - forum dedicated to automated trading

* www.forexfactory.com - the housepricecrash forum for forex - it is huge.

* www.forexpeacyarmy.com - great website trying to give baised reviews- tells you when it is a scam or not.

* www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6457269717 - forum dedicated to finding good trading robots.

Good luck.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
soldintime, can you recommend a trustworthy broker who provides metatrader data?

I believe there are a lot of scammers out there - "market makers", etc

I would say for the moment to go with non US brokers. A lot of changed legislation is coming to US based brokers. First it was the ban on hedging now it will be the way orders are processed. It will be on a first in first out basis instead of based upon ticket number. This has made it difficult for a lot of good strategies. The Uk is the main beneficiary with a lot of US based brokers setting up branches in the UK, so employment opportunities there.

Market markers are not per definition scammers. ECN (non dealing desk) brokers are relatively new to the Metatrader platfrom, due to difficulties with this platform. FXCM UK is one of these brokers offering ECN style broking. Other UK broker I like and gets good reviews is Alpari UK.

HOLA4417

As with all these types of platforms.... getting on a winning trade is ok , a losing 1 also ..but when it comes time to close it with a profit and there are no guarantees of that price there and then. Slippage / gapping is open to abuse.

If there was a trading platform where you could connect to the forex market without the need for a company to provide it for you then it could work.

The chariman of one of the leading MM's said that perhaps 5% of forex traders with his company made a profit

They're all much like bookies imho, it's ok when you're losing..but after a few wins...things change

HOLA4418
Yeah renting is still the way forward. I have found I have had enough of island living in Malta and because I do not have to sell I can move whenever I want.

Why buy a house in Spain. Check this website wit cheap long term rentals. http://www.eyeonspain.com

Have a look at this property I found. http://www.eyeonspain.com/Holiday-Rentals-...aspx?apt=RP2181

3 bedroom apartment with communal swimming pool for €295 a month. It must be much cheaper than the mortgage on the place. Plus when you have had enough of it you go.

Nice find..ty been looking for decent site with a view to a long term rental / long holiday away lol

• 1 month later...
HOLA4419

Thats great information Soldintrade about forex trading, it is something that has interested me a lot in the past and I am looking at new challenges and way of potentially making some money!

I am actually coming out to Bali in October for a while, its a shame the internet connections there still suck, that seems the biggest drawback!

I thought there was 3G connections in Bali now?

HOLA4420
Thats great information Soldintrade about forex trading, it is something that has interested me a lot in the past and I am looking at new challenges and way of potentially making some money!

I am actually coming out to Bali in October for a while, its a shame the internet connections there still suck, that seems the biggest drawback!

I thought there was 3G connections in Bali now?

I will be in Bali for most of November before heading to Oz for a couple of months. The Idea with automated forex trading is to host the application on a VPS (Virtual Private Server). This way the trades go through and you can check it with the shitty internet connection. I was able to do this last year when in Bali. Mainly in the kuta, nusa dua region and Ubud.

HOLA4421

Just check Craigslist for rentals in Florida. You can get some great stuff in downtown Orlando, all singing all dancing for $500 a month and this is still vacation time. My guess is that $300-$400 this winter will get you a very nice place. There are hundreds of the buggers and growing by the hour.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4422

Soon off to Malaysia & Bali for a couple of months. I shall report back on the avialability and how desirable the renting situation is in these countries.

Did you know that Malaysia has a visa program called Malaysia My 2nd Home. If you meet the criteria you get a 10 year visa which allows you to rent or buy a home and stay. Malaysia was voted by International Living as the cheapest country to live in with good world class facilities. Something to think about.

After that I will rent in OZ for about 5 months.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4423

I just got back from Bali. The heat was unusual high 35 degrees and combined with the humiddity i was struggling (even the balinese were complaining). Combined with a lack of aircon based restaurants there was no refuge.

We stayed in Ubud for about 2 weeks and compaired to a year earlier (hight of the credit crunch) it was very busy for what is still considered low season. From some local expats I heard that all hotels were booked in august leading to people sleeping outside the tourist information centre. Ubud is booming with a lot of Australians now coming on holiday there due to strong Austalian Dollar. Also when we were there the movie Eat, Love, Pray was filmed with Julia Robberts. This will put Ubud even more on the map. It might kill the once tranquil place.

Bali is still a cheap place to rent and stay and enjoy a good quality of life, although it got more expensive compared to a year ago.

Whilst renting and travelling around the world I have come to realise I do not like tropical weather so Bali, Malaysia or Thailand is not for me.

At the moment we are renting in rural Australia for AUD150 a week for a 2 bedroom place, not far from the Ocean. About £360 a month.

HOLA4424

I just got back from Bali. The heat was unusual high 35 degrees and combined with the humiddity i was struggling (even the balinese were complaining). Combined with a lack of aircon based restaurants there was no refuge.

We stayed in Ubud for about 2 weeks and compaired to a year earlier (hight of the credit crunch) it was very busy for what is still considered low season. From some local expats I heard that all hotels were booked in august leading to people sleeping outside the tourist information centre. Ubud is booming with a lot of Australians now coming on holiday there due to strong Austalian Dollar. Also when we were there the movie Eat, Love, Pray was filmed with Julia Robberts. This will put Ubud even more on the map. It might kill the once tranquil place.

Bali is still a cheap place to rent and stay and enjoy a good quality of life, although it got more expensive compared to a year ago.

Whilst renting and travelling around the world I have come to realise I do not like tropical weather so Bali, Malaysia or Thailand is not for me.

At the moment we are renting in rural Australia for AUD150 a week for a 2 bedroom place, not far from the Ocean. About £360 a month.

Soldintime, this is a very inspiring thread.

Makes the rat race back in the UK seem a ridiculous choice by comparison.

This time next year I'm determined to be living this life!

• 2 months later...
HOLA4425

I am noticing rental price drops in my favourite city Barcelona. It is now possible to rent for €800-€1000 a month a nice 2 bedroom apartment in central location. After my Australia stint I am going to check Barcelona out. If you want to check Spanish rental prices look at www.pisos.com or www.idealista.com.