House Price Crash Forum

Brighton Area

HOLA441

should be good news (nationally) but locally I guess it isn't...

While papers and this site are celebrating (or at least announcing) price falls relating to October (ie Land Registry/Hometrack report of monthly -0.8% ;) )

index for B&H on the other hand is back up (??) +0.8%.... :ph34r:

report shows that more high range houses are selling compared to less lower end ones, which skews the average...

("Sales volumes, after hitting a high in July at 65,825, fell back in August to 58,783, the latest available figures. The drop in volumes is most acute among lower-priced properties, which are favoured by first-time buyers. The drop was sharpest among properties in the £100,001-£150,000 range where sales dropped 12 per cent from 2009 levels...")

where do all these rich people buying very expensive houses here come from?

Not a happy chappy...

:(

Edited by Capt. Picard

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

should be good news (nationally) but locally I guess it isn't...

While papers and this site are celebrating (or at least announcing) price falls relating to October (ie Land Registry/Hometrack report of monthly -0.8% ;) )

index for B&H on the other hand is back up (??) +0.8%.... :ph34r:

report shows that more high range houses are selling compared to less lower end ones, which skews the average...

("Sales volumes, after hitting a high in July at 65,825, fell back in August to 58,783, the latest available figures. The drop in volumes is most acute among lower-priced properties, which are favoured by first-time buyers. The drop was sharpest among properties in the £100,001-£150,000 range where sales dropped 12 per cent from 2009 levels...")

Not a happy chappy...

:(

These rich people are just swapping off houses between themselves, obviously skewing the average. It is clear from these figures that FTB's are very rare indeed. Under these conditions the market can only fall. I'm seeing prices marked down - the market is falling.

HOLA443

These rich people are just swapping off houses between themselves, obviously skewing the average. It is clear from these figures that FTB's are very rare indeed. Under these conditions the market can only fall. I'm seeing prices marked down - the market is falling.

Gotta admit that these days my faith in the HPC is faltering,

while yours is quite firm! So I thank you for your support castrogtx

:)

Thing is... still peak prices and above round here... :(

Edited by Capt. Picard

HOLA444

People buying very expensive houses in brighton

EXHIBIT A)

Young couple may have bought this 2 bedder in Shoreditch in 2001 for £150,000. Oh it was SO much fun in trendy East London and they saw lots of YBA Tracey Emin type things and ate authentic Vietnamese all the time but now Oh God she's expecting a baby and they don't want to send their kid to the local cesspit / school . . SO WHY NOT SELL UP AND MOVE TO BRIGHTON!!!! Everyone else is doing it. It's so clean down there! Not like Shoreditch. And Zoe Ball's always saying how great it is. So sell the 2 bedder in East London for £700,000 and buy 6 bedder overlooking St Anns! for £700,000 - no mortgage or anything and get to feel really clever and posh and smug!

Other exhibits to follow once I've calmed down and had me dinner.

HOLA445

EXHIBIT A)

Young couple may have bought this 2 bedder in Shoreditch in 2001 for £150,000. Oh it was SO much fun in trendy East London and they saw lots of YBA Tracey Emin type things and ate authentic Vietnamese all the time but now Oh God she's expecting a baby and they don't want to send their kid to the local cesspit / school . . SO WHY NOT SELL UP AND MOVE TO BRIGHTON!!!! Everyone else is doing it. It's so clean down there! Not like Shoreditch. And Zoe Ball's always saying how great it is. So sell the 2 bedder in East London for £700,000 and buy 6 bedder overlooking St Anns! for £700,000 - no mortgage or anything and get to feel really clever and posh and smug!

Damn it! Should have known better!

Bloody Londoners again...

Edited by Capt. Picard

HOLA446

EXHIBIT A)

that has actually made me feel a little bit sick

HOLA447

that has actually made me feel a little bit sick

I know. I'm sorry. It's painful for me, too.

I guess exhibit B would be the retirement couple who sell this really quite mingingly unimpressive 4 bedder in 'Wimbledon' (though actually it's Merton) with its thoroughly overhauled interior thanks to major mewing over the years, and buy this and still have nearly a million to retire on / dole out to their kids for deposits on their first properties. They only paid £70,000 for their Merton, I mean, Wimbledon abode all those years ago and it's funny cos he's no high flyer and she's never even worked and now look at them! Million bloody aires! Ha ha! And all cos of the 'ouse! Luvvely jubbly. End of.

HOLA448

I know. I'm sorry. It's painful for me, too.

I guess exhibit B would be the retirement couple who sell this really quite mingingly unimpressive 4 bedder in 'Wimbledon' (though actually it's Merton) with its thoroughly overhauled interior thanks to major mewing over the years, and buy this and still have nearly a million to retire on / dole out to their kids for deposits on their first properties. They only paid £70,000 for their Merton, I mean, Wimbledon abode all those years ago and it's funny cos he's no high flyer and she's never even worked and now look at them! Million bloody aires! Ha ha! And all cos of the 'ouse! Luvvely jubbly. End of.

Hehe that house is a million and a half pounds. Man this country is going to be a rubbish place to live when house prices collapse. Although this current state of housing market purgatory is pretty pants too to be fair.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

when exactly ?

Have to say, rents going up and high demand for rentals is a good sign. Rents went up around the last major crashes, too. So something is giving.

But jeez - never mind who's buying the expensive places in Brighton! Who is buying the places in London that then allows Londoners to buy expensive places down here? Are there that many bankers / Euro holding speculators / Chinese investors wanting to buy a rabbit hutch like this for half a mill in Penge whose nearest primary schools are OFSTED rated 3?

Well, obviously rich investors aren't after places like that. Half a mill hutches like that are for 'normal' people. Normal people with normal wages who are reliant on big fat mortgages to move up the laddder. So HOORAY for this mortgage 'rationing' is all I can say. Low interest rates may reign, but if people just can't stretch to that massive deposit in order to move, it's all gonna collapse. And when properties in nice London suburbs with nice State schools fall more in line with people's wages, the tide of Londoners coming down here may well become a mere trickle.

But oh god so many variables! I'm really as much in the dark as anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4411

I've definitely noticed the increasing numbers of newly rich Chinese tourists spending their way like crazy through Brighton's shops. But it just me, or are there loads more non student, non tourist type Russians and Eastern Euros living in Hove / Brighton these days? I know Brighton is cosmopolitan and has a big transient community - Hove parks in particular are a melting pot of foreign academics / American Express type mums and dads, here for a year or two then back from whence they came. But I am also noticing more and more Russian and Eastern Euro parents in the parks, pushing buggies round town, and in the schools. I can't say I mind particularly. But I just wondered who they were, what they did, and why Brighton was so darned attractive to them? Anyone got any ideas? I actually know 2 couples made up of a Russian wife and an English husband and both the women are former lapdancers who met their banker husbands when they worked in the city. :blink: Brighton suits them because it's a fresh start and they're unlikely to bump into anyone who knew them in their past lives.

But who are all the others? Why Brighton over London? Any thoughts?

HOLA4412

A family of eastern Europeans recently moved into the rental house next door.

The house is usually rented to students so It makes a nice change. I haven't really had a chance to speak to them yet but my girlfriend has appologised for the baby screaming its head off every night.

It would seem the man (well dressed in a world war two underground / resistance sort of way) doesn't speak good English but the lady does. The kids are out from early till late as are both parents.

quite mysterious.

HOLA4413

quite mysterious.

I wonder what Brighton offers them? Compared to London. I know a family just like the one you describe, right down to the resistance costumes. Both parents working full time, on benefit, but also with a house rented out in London. Loadsamoney!

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414

Is this a first for our wonderful local rag?

Hove cross-dressing store to close

A trailblazing shop which catered for cross-dressers has fallen victim to the recession.
Lacies, which led the way for the transgender and transvestite communities in Brighton and Hove, is to close.
Pioneering owner Sue Sheppard will sell her last set of padded bras at the store in Portland Road, Hove, tomorrow.
Ms Sheppard, 48, herself a post-op transsexual, has run the shop which attracts customers from as far away as Wales, for eight years.
The former organiser of the annual Ms TransGender Brighton contest
blames high property prices and rents for the closure

Is even the Argus turning? :blink:

HOLA4415

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/cities/8243174/Buying-property-in-Brighton.html

If you want to live in one of the more sought-after areas – a Georgian terrace along the sea front or trendy Preston Park – you will have to pay a premium. But you will get good value for money. You should expect to pay £500,000 for a family home in a prime location, or as little as £100,000 for a one-bedroom flat in Hove, which is only a mile from the city centre.

Obviously there are bargains galore to be had in Brighton :rolleyes: And since when did Preston Park become trendy? (Since some EA decided to call it the "Golden Triangle" I guess <_< )

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

family home 'good value ' at 500K ????

I concur,

Just got back from 6 nights in Brighton - the missus was keen on moving there (not ready for the country) and we have a young family. I was HORRIFIED at what you get for 1/2 million - an average 4 bed terrace in an overcrowded area which people call the 'nicer' bits. 250K and I might be interested but to be honest I do not subscribe to this 'Brighton is great for families'; it looks rough, I see homelessness and poverty, I see average school with a lot of competition and I see limited green spaces and I feel enormously sorry for the young from around there who have no chance of making a living in the local area and be able to afford a property. If I were in my mid twenties and didn't have kids maybe it would be an alternative to London.

HOLA4418

I concur,

Just got back from 6 nights in Brighton - the missus was keen on moving there (not ready for the country) and we have a young family. I was HORRIFIED at what you get for 1/2 million - an average 4 bed terrace in an overcrowded area which people call the 'nicer' bits. 250K and I might be interested but to be honest I do not subscribe to this 'Brighton is great for families'; it looks rough, I see homelessness and poverty, I see average school with a lot of competition and I see limited green spaces and I feel enormously sorry for the young from around there who have no chance of making a living in the local area and be able to afford a property. If I were in my mid twenties and didn't have kids maybe it would be an alternative to London.

You've hit the nail on the head. Brighton is not a great place for young families, unless you can afford the really expensive areas. Obviously there are plenty of people who have grown up in Brighton without a problem, but I've known plenty fall by the wayside. The problem is that there aren't that many places in the south east that perfectly combine a bit of city life, a bit of countryside, a bit of culture, and are good for bringing up families. A compromise has to be made somewhere.

HOLA4419

I concur,

spread the word......

HOLA4420

spread the word......

Spread it all over NCT groups in London . . .

How 'bout that? Poster campaign at every mum and baby group in London. 'Dear half asleep new mum. Please stop lazily thinking of moving to Brighton. There are no school places for your child unless you want to drive 15 mins from your home to a school worse than an inner London sink school. Try Haywards Heath, Horsham, Burgess Hill instead! :) PS the swimming pools and buses are infested with grumpy, smelly old people."

:D

PS part of this post was designed for people who need a laff.

Edited by shell

HOLA4421

Spread it all over NCT groups in London . . .

How 'bout that? Poster campaign at every mum and baby group in London. 'Dear half asleep new mum. Please stop lazily thinking of moving to Brighton. There are no school places for your child unless you want to drive 15 mins from your home to a school worse than an inner London sink school. Try Haywards Heath, Horsham, Burgess Hill instead! :) PS the swimming pools and buses are infested with grumpy, smelly old people."

:D

PS part of this post was designed for people who need a laff.

don't forget the too include some photos of the street drinkers in your posters and highlight the fact that we have the highest number of heroin deaths per year in the country .....

HOLA4422

You've hit the nail on the head. Brighton is not a great place for young families, unless you can afford the really expensive areas. Obviously there are plenty of people who have grown up in Brighton without a problem, but I've known plenty fall by the wayside. The problem is that there aren't that many places in the south east that perfectly combine a bit of city life, a bit of countryside, a bit of culture, and are good for bringing up families. A compromise has to be made somewhere.

We were lucky in that a friend of ours lent us their flat in Brighton and we stayed there for 1 week over xmas. I really had no idea what Brighton was like before that other than the fact that everyone we know (from London) wants to move their and then some other friends who do live there want us to move there! After our stay, the missus and me were in full agreement that it just isn't an appropriate place for our family.

For the sake of people from Brighton I hope that prices come down substantially.

@i wanna house : I will spread the word especially to those friends of mine who already live there and think it is the best place in the world to bring up a family :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423

WTF! Take a look at the price changes on this:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31664249.html

[

]

date event

viernes, 21 de enero de 2011 0:04:18

* Brief Description changed: 6 bedroom, 4 reception room house A Grand Design Influenced by the Art Deco & Progressive Modernist Movement, this architecturally designed energy efficient home embodies modern living. A jewel in Preston Park area. The property is just a stones throw away from the local shops, supermarket, bus stops, cycle lanes, taxi ranks etc the crown, this unique detached property has its own driveway and London Road train station is just 0.4 miles away. This property is also within the catchment area of various high performi... secure off-street parking for 2 vehicles, scooters & bicycles plus l... [Found by n/a]

* Price changed: Offers in Excess of £800,000 £450,000 [Found by n/a]

martes, 18 de enero de 2011

* Brief Description changed: A Grand Design Influenced by the Art Deco & Progressive Modernist Movement, this architecturally designed energy efficient home embodies modern living. A jewel 6 bedroom, 4 reception room house in the crown, this unique detached property has its own driveway Preston Park area. The property is just a stones throw away from the local shops, supermarket, bus stops, cycle lanes, taxi ranks etc and secure off-street parking for 2 vehicles, scooters & bicycles etc. T... London Road train station is just 0.4 miles away. This property is also within the catchment area of various high performi... [Found by n/a]

* Price changed: Offers in Excess of £450,000 £800,000 [Found by n/a]

miércoles, 15 de diciembre de 2010

* Price changed: Offers in Excess of £400,000 £450,000 [Found by n/a]

sábado, 04 de diciembre de 2010

* Price changed: Offers in Excess of £425,000 £400,000 [Found by n/a]

martes, 02 de noviembre de 2010 9:17:36

* Initial entry found. [Found by n/a]

Also since when was Roundhill Crescent in the preston Park area? :blink:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Sorry can't quite focus on this because I'm ill and words swimming around :( - did it go up or down? What did it go for in end?

Anyone care to comment on the Brighton market at the moment? From what I see, decent houses in 'good areas' are still selling, and for not-much-less-than-2007 prices, albeit lower than asking prices. I feel that the Brighton market is still being propped up by London money - I know several people who have moved down in the last 12 months.

Not sure what is happening with flats - I get the feeling they are harder to shift, losing value, but I am not tracking them so that is just gut feeling.

Anyone had a candid chat with a tame EA recently?