House Price Crash Forum

Brown To Face House Price Demo

HOLA441

http://money.guardian.co.uk/houseprices/st...2074647,00.html

Brown to face house price demo

Press Association
Tuesday May 8, 2007
Guardian Unlimited
Frustrated first-time buyers are planning to upstage Gordon Brown at a festival in a bid to highlight the negative impact of spiralling house prices.
Campaigners from web-based group Priced Out will picket the chancellor when he speaks at the Dome concert hall as part of the Brighton Festival on Sunday.
Brighton has seen the largest hike in house prices per square metre of any city in the UK over the past decade, according to figures from Halifax released last month.

Nice gesture Priced Out but the most effective method to ***** Gordon's bubble would be for a general strike. Until you turn off the tap the monster will continue to grow. JUST SAY NO.

3 months of FTBs just saying know and we will have the greatest crash in history a few months before it is due.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinv...DING-URGENT.XML

Property adviser Savills says year started well
Wed May 9, 2007 7:12 AM BST136
LONDON, May 9 (Reuters) - British upmarket property adviser Savills Plc (SVS.L: Quote, Profile , Research) said on Wednesday it had made a strong start to its financial year and expected interest rate rises had not had a noticeable impact. "Strong global money flows continue to provide a positive backdrop to our markets and anticipated rises in UK interest rates have not had any noticeable impact," the firm said in a statement ahead of its annual shareholder meeting.
"Subject to any unforeseen circumstances, such as a global economic downturn, we continue to be confident of a good result for 2007."

In other words: **** you.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Come on RB why don't you put your money where your mouth is. You dislike Gordon Brown so much you get your bear bottom down to Brighton with a "No to HPI-MEW economy" banner and you tell the man what you think of him.

You'd have to peel him off his sofa first. Some of those pressure ulcers can be pretty painful.

HOLA446
Come on RB why don't you put your money where your mouth is. You dislike Gordon Brown so much you get your bear bottom down to Brighton with a "No to HPI-MEW economy" banner and you tell the man what you think of him.

I'm not sure any STR people should risk getting interviewed by the press on this issue.

It's hardly likely to elicit much sympathy is it, compared to a genuine priced-out FTB?

HOLA447

If I was in that area I would most certainly be there. But I do feel that the most effective way of demonstrating is with the feet. If all FTBs could catch on to the idea that they hold the power to crash the market overnight by just saying no the nightmare would be over by this summer.

Distribute hundreds of signs: "JUST SAY NO" Join the house price revolt and refuse to buy. Distribute them to FTBs to put up outside their rentals or parent's houses. Bumper stickers. Post them on lamposts. Empty shop windows. Fight them in the fields, fight them in the streets, never give up!

You gotta have a catch phrase to drive the thing. "JUST SAY NO" written in large caps made up with brick style letters.

Channel 4 is the best bet as BBC would not touch it with a bargepoll. Rupert Murdoch does not like Brown either and may help. Forget the Tories they are as VI as the rest of them including the muppets at Gordon's bank.

HOLA448
I'm not sure any STR people should risk getting interviewed by the press on this issue.

It's hardly likely to elicit much sympathy is it, compared to a genuine priced-out FTB?

I am a STM--I thought you knew. ;)

Had it not been for a job transfer back to the UK I would still own my gaff in California. But then again maybe not as that market is crashing badly now. Its so bad the Wall Street Journal are running an article on the local situation this week. San Diego always was the bellwether and strangely enough a mirror market to the UK but with a lag of around 6 months.

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...ost&id=4113

Chilling?

HOLA449
If I was in that area I would most certainly be there.

But what if the press interviewed you, and it was found out that you STR'd, with a view to making a few bob on falling house prices?

Do you think this would help the HPC cause?

Perhaps your banner could read

"Bring down house prices - I want to make a quick buck"

HOLA4410

I second this.

Remember, any of us going are supporting a pricedout demo against high prices for FTBs.

It's an alternative focus to a wish for a HPC, and to be fair, one that is more public friendly.

Let's support their message; not hi-jack it.

HOLA4411
But what if the press interviewed you, and it was found out that you STR'd, with a view to making a few bob on falling house prices?

But I didn't STR so I couldn't answer the question. I returned to the UK to work and wanted to buy a house but found I was priced out and did not want to invest decades of savings in an about to crash asset.

I, together with most FTBs want to buy a house for a fair and reasonable price that bears some resemblance to our wages.

For people like me on job moves Gordon's HPI-MEW miracle is as unwelcome as it is to anyone with any financial sense.

Face it, HPI is an economic evil. Inflation is a disease whether it is in house prices or any other item. It destroys economies eventually and it will destroy this one. You should get off the bull side and join what is right. HPI is evil. Accept it as that. Those who support it must also be tagged with same label--including the chief instigator: Brown and the muppets who follow his orders.

Edited by Realistbear

HOLA4412

From another thread:

While Beeny enjoys television, she's obviously passionate about property. In spite of her own involvement in the property development industry, she thinks the rises in house prices have made everyone much worse off, that the buy-to-let phenomenon has badly damaged the market, and that the banks are irresponsible when their lending lands people with massive mortgages.

Face it--HPI is evil and it is making everyone worse off. How can you live with your conscience being a property Bull?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
I second this.

Remember, any of us going are supporting a pricedout demo against high prices for FTBs.

It's an alternative focus to a wish for a HPC, and to be fair, one that is more public friendly.

Let's support their message; not hi-jack it.

That's a good point, thanks Timm. The protest is indeed a Priced Out demo, and it needs to be treated as such, especially as we're going to have the press there. The campaign needs to be seen as accessible to the public as possible, and we very seriously need to avoid any banners that say things like 'house price crash now!' or 'immigrants out!'

We're going to provide plenty of placards with our own slogans on anyway, so anyone coming along can pick up one of those if they want.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest Yeahbutnocrash
But I didn't STR so I couldn't answer the question. I returned to the UK to work and wanted to buy a house but found I was priced out and did not want to invest decades of savings in an about to crash asset.

I, together with most FTBs want to buy a house for a fair and reasonable price that bears some resemblance to our wages.

For people like me on job moves Gordon's HPI-MEW miracle is as unwelcome as it is to anyone with any financial sense.

Face it, HPI is an economic evil. Inflation is a disease whether it is in house prices or any other item. It destroys economies eventually and it will destroy this one. You should get off the bull side and join what is right. HPI is evil. Accept it as that. Those who support it must also be tagged with same label--including the chief instigator: Brown and the muppets who follow his orders.

I agree HPI has become a form of 'economic evil' for many people

But surely there are many potential 'economic evils' for people depending on their circumstances and where they live in the world etc

For example losing your job or earning a pittance or being in an economic depression

Surely these things are often a consequence of being part of an imperfect economic system based on supply & demand

If we had not had the evil of HPI we may have instead had to suffer the evil of a depression

Also if we are lucky the affordability factor may improve but it looks like it's gong to take a few years

I don't see any quick fix for it as that may only help cause other economic problems ('evils')

Regarding one's stance of bull or bear there can obviously be a difference between what you think should happen or think is 'right' compared to what you think will actually happen

A person can be of the opinion that HPI is wrong but still think prices will rise this year - So they would obviously not be a bear...

Edited by Yeahbutnocrash

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
I agree HPI has become a form of 'economic evil' for many people

But surely there are many potential 'economic evils' for people depending on their circumstances and where they live in the world etc

For example losing your job or earning a pittance or being in an economic depression

Surely these things are often a consequence of being part of an imperfect economic system based on supply & demand

If we had not had the evil of HPI we may have instead had to suffer the evil of a depression

Also if we are lucky the affordability factor may improve but it looks like it's gong to take a few years

I don't see any quick fix for it as that may only help cause other economic problems ('evils')

Regarding one's stance of bull or bear there can obviously be a difference between what you think should happen or think is 'right' compared to what you think will actually happen

A person can be of the opinion that HPI is wrong but still think prices will rise this year - So they would obviously not be a bear...

This would be describing a housing Bull then?

HOLA4422
Guest Yeahbutnocrash
Could be - But I just used that example to help differentiate between moral stance and a stance based on what an individual thinks is likely to happen

If such a person was convinced a crash was to follow then they would be a medium-term bear or if they were not sure then they could be a 'neither'

If they felt IR's might come down next year, or are convinced about the lack of supply argument then they may be a bull

In each case they may all accept that massive HPI is not a good thing for society in general but have different views on what will happen

Indeed - They would not all adopt a bear stance saying 'HPI is wrong therefore there will be a crash'

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
If I was in that area I would most certainly be there. But I do feel that the most effective way of demonstrating is with the feet. If all FTBs could catch on to the idea that they hold the power to crash the market overnight by just saying no the nightmare would be over by this summer.

Distribute hundreds of signs: "JUST SAY NO" Join the house price revolt and refuse to buy. Distribute them to FTBs to put up outside their rentals or parent's houses. Bumper stickers. Post them on lamposts. Empty shop windows. Fight them in the fields, fight them in the streets, never give up!

You gotta have a catch phrase to drive the thing. "JUST SAY NO" written in large caps made up with brick style letters.

Channel 4 is the best bet as BBC would not touch it with a bargepoll. Rupert Murdoch does not like Brown either and may help. Forget the Tories they are as VI as the rest of them including the muppets at Gordon's bank.

What a load of tosh - 'Just say no, I can't be bothered'.

The Priced Out thing will reach a lot more FTBs than your 11,500 posts ever have.

HOLA4425
Guest d23

I think continued moderate HPI for this year is on the cards, next year i'm guessing we'll see stagnation / falls. For the sake of having to wear a label I call myself a neither on this site

you said yourself you don't see yoy falls happening till next year, does this make you a housing bull? When I said the same you said it was 'extremely bullish'