House Price Crash Forum

School Leaving Age To Increase To 18

HOLA441

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6254833.stm

Young people will be required to stay in school, training or workplace training until the age of 18.

The Department for Education and Skills has confirmed plans to raise the school leaving age in England by 2013.

This will not mean that pupils have to stay in the classroom or continue with academic lessons - but they will have to continue to receive training.

It would mean raising the leaving age for the first time since 1972, when it was raised to the present 16 years old.

Anything to keep them off the dole, eh?

What's next? Compulsory university education complete with £30k debt?

HOLA442

Yep, growing public sector employment and 'higher education' expansion also help the figures (Jeez, even I was aware of this when I did my degree back in the 'nasty' 90's)

It's the reason why all our taxes are now being used to pay the interest on the debt Gordies built up over 10 years massaging the unemployment figures

Still, we needed a break from the socipathic Tories 'keep 'em lean' 3M unemployed strategy - appauling time...

Edited by dnd

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
Absolutely. Britain needs better-educated hair-dressers for our future life as a service economy.

Apparently 11 years is not long enough to learn how to say "do you want fries with that?" so the youth of tomorrow are going to get another 2 to see if they can get the hang of it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Apparently 11 years is not long enough to learn how to say "do you want fries with that?" so the youth of tomorrow are going to get another 2 to see if they can get the hang of it.

it is so!!!!

they need the extra 2 years for elocution lessons.

....they don't say "do you want fries with that,sir",anymore.

at the tender age of 16 it sounds like " JA WAN FRAAZ WIDDAT BLUD?"

the elementary english takes a little longer to master.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Tie it in with Blair's sudden interest in ensuring we express a desire for an army and you get one easy answer.

Will schools need to be bigger? More schools, more teachers? How many?

If 75% of kids stay on anyway how many extra teachers are needed (eek sounds like one of those horrible things about a man digging a hole takes three weeks so how long will two polish lads take?)

;-)

HOLA4419

Have you noticed that there is a get out clause for girls who have got pregnant. They will not have to do it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2007010766,00.html

"Only those who have to care for sick relatives will be allowed to leave at 16 — along with teenage mums."

So lets think through the incentives here.

Imagine yourself in the shoes of a 16 year old girl who is facing two years more in education/training and you are going to be living on very low pay or some kind of training grant with your parents and have little prospect of a job paying very far above minimum wage at the end of it. The alternative is to get preganant and then live on benefits while being bumped up to the top of the local authority list so you can have a nice flat newly kitted out to live in.

It does not take much of an education to see what the rational economic decision is here.

This initiative may well be the centre piece of the Chancellor's ten year plan but you can tell he has a degree in history rather than one in economics. :angry:

HOLA4420
Guest Bart of Darkness

I thought school leaving remained fixed at 09:05 AM.

This is just two more years during which Sharon and Kev Chav will not go to school and the authorities will fail to do anything about it.

Just look at some of the crappier aras of any town during a weekday.

Although I could be wrong. Maybe those feral gangs of hoodies are actual star pupils on a "study period".

hoodies.jpg

HOLA4421
I thought school leaving remained fixed at 09:05 AM.

This is just two more years during which Sharon and Kev Chav will not go to school and the authorities will fail to do anything about it.

Just look at some of the crappier aras of any town during a weekday.

Although I could be wrong. Maybe those feral gangs of hoodies are actual star pupils on a "study period".

hoodies.jpg

...a few more years of practice and they'll get the "skull and bones" hand symbol right!!!!!.....still a bit limp-wristed IMHO!!

HOLA4422

As someone working higher up the education system, I think this is a horrendous idea. Im sorry to say that there are some people through either genes or upbringing have no place whatsoever in an educational environment beyond the point where they know enough to live.

That brings me to the next question - is the problem that our education system has become so bad that by 16, these essential skills are no longer known? So is todays 18 year old only as well prepared and educated as a 16 year old 30 years ago? I think I already know the answer (inspite of my being one of those educated in more recent times).

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Its always funny when people criticise the education system AND THEN........ NOT THEN! demonstrate they cant spell.......

GOOD GRAMMER RULES OK! LOL

Good grammar is essential for humourous t-shirts.

For instance.

Tonight in the pub I was disheartened to see on the front of a t-shirt (worn by a male):

It isn't gonna suck its self

HOLA4425

But most new forms of employment seem to involve serving coffee, painting plastic nails, tidying up the knickers display in Primark or handing out locker keys at the local leisure complex?

Far from a knowledge economy we seem to have a 'turn up on time with a smiley face and do mindless tasks economy'.

NuLabour are just robbing the poor of two year meagre McIncome and no doubt a whole load more spurious public sector workers will be need to administrate the extra numbers of people frogmarched into NVQs on American Nail Art or a BTEC in Bricklaying in a Bulgarianised Labour Market.

Edited by CrashedOutAndBurned