House Price Crash Forum

No-one Cares About Us!

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

It doesn't help, it will just make total ownership even more distant a prospect.

Absolutely. It'll stimulate the housing market further.

I think Brown is just being super-careful not to do anything that could land blame on him when the crash comes!

HOLA445
HOLA446

What do you expect from a Chancellor whose entire career has been based on HPI and consequential MEW to stimulate the economy with imported goods?

The Budget was a lot about nothing--how many pennies he is going to spend on schools and environmental projects. Nothing about eroding employment, exporting of jobs, failing manufacturing base, house price inflation (the real inflation figures that is), 1.2 Trillion pounds of personal debt, 72% rise in repossessions and so forth.

HOLA447

Well, what was all that (budget 2006) about? No one even seems to know we exist and they definitely don't care.

How is this shared ownwrship any help. I don't want to own a tiny bit of a house!

Shared ownership helps people get on the property ladder that otherwise would not have a chance, but it certainly doest help you make any money out of property.

HOLA448

Shared ownership helps people get on the property ladder that otherwise would not have a chance, but it certainly doest help you make any money out of property.

I'm on the property ladder even though I don't own a house. My savings are climbing up that ladder every month I get paid and save it, awaiting the day(year) of reckoning!

HOLA449

Budget was boring actually. Lots of spin about how well everything is. The Boom and Bust comment angered me. He's been careful cos he wants number 10.

Surely budgets are always boring. There is very rarely any big change. The whole thing is incremental. Tax thresholds slowly falling behind wages each year etc. That way we don't realise we are being boiled.

HOLA4410

"here here".

I received a letter from the "office of the Deputy Prime Minister" the other day. After wondering what they might be after me for I opened it up to find that I had been randomly selected to take part in a housing survey. I would never normally bother to do something like this but great I thought, this will be my chance to get my opinions heard and as a wannabe ftb maybe even make a small bit of a difference. I was apparently of special interest because I am living in private rented accomodation. I had everything planned out that I was going to say , high property prices, stamp duty for ftb's etc, etc. An old biddy turned up at my house, I was given a thick booklet each page with approx 4 answers that I was not allowed to deviate from. Only once was the subject of why I was living in rented accomodation brought up. To which the only box that vaguely applied was "can't afford" which is not stictly true as I can but I don't want to be living in poverty forevermore. After a frustrating hour had passed the old lady left and I still cannot see what benefit this survey would be to anyone. And thinking like you say "no-one cares about us".

HOLA4411

After a frustrating hour had passed the old lady left and I still cannot see what benefit this survey would be to anyone.

It will be a great benefit to the countless civil servants that will now analyse and collate the answers. Essentially that survey represents their 'world view' and you don't fit into it, home owners are the majority and the minority of young people don't vote, so they don't give a stuff, when the demographic problems become apparent in 20 years the current administration will be long gone.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest DisposableHeroes

The governments job is to get re-elected. Unfortunately the majority have property, we are the minority. The government will try damn hard not to rock the housing boat. The only thing which will really help, will be rising inflation and as a result the Bank of England will put up interest rates (crash).

HOLA4414

Can someone explain how shared ownership actually works?

You can buy 25/50/75% of the property and the bank/government owns the rest, on which you then pay rent. Basically it's a heads I win, tails you lose situation, if house prices rise the unowned proportion is even more expensive and if prices fall your own share drops, and it's very difficult to sell. If prices rise 50% then you only benefit from half the increase, so if you couldn't afford anything before you certainly won't be able to afford anything else again as you're chasing your own tail.

It's very similar to those share appreciation schemes offered to old folks, it's all very well if you intend to live a cramped 1 bed room flat for the rest of your life. Of course you're also liable for all repairs and maintenance.

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I think its time for the young single FTB to pack up a leave, unless theres a HPC there is little incentive to carry on the daily slog.

Either that or take to the streets! :lol:

We live in a police state so the latter option isn't so pretty. I noticed during PMQ's before the budget speech there was a planted question from a Labour patsy MP, his question implied that people who choose not to carry the new ID cards are "criminals and others" and the Lords amendments on compulsion should be overturned (which they will). I thought this was very insightful and underscores their thinking.

Time to leave me thinks, plenty of other governments welcome young people that pay the bills.

Dr. Nick Palmer (Broxtowe) (Lab): Does my right hon. Friend agree that we were elected on a clear commitment to introduce ID cards, and that the attempt by some Members of the unelected House to allow criminals and others to opt out of carrying the card is not only anti-democratic but ridiculous?

The Prime Minister: It is particularly absurd because the purpose of the amendment is to decouple the passport from the identity card. It is vital and necessary—indeed, it is a requirement—that we introduce the new passport with the biometric details. It is therefore absurd to try to detach that from the introduction of an identity card, which can give so many benefits in terms of preventing identity fraud. It is particularly absurd that the argument now being put by the Conservative party against identity cards is cost, because the whole point of linking the passport to the identity card is that 70 per cent. of the cost is in the passport. So it makes perfect sense to link the two.

Edited by BuyingBear

HOLA4417
I was given a thick booklet each page with approx 4 answers that I was not allowed to deviate from

Guess this is the nuLab influenced version of conducting surveys....the trouble with surveys is that it's very easy to bias them to generate whatever results you feel like generating that day. Feels a bit like:

You think nuLab are the best thing since sliced bread because;

a: Tony's smile is ace

b: Gordo's a financial genius

c: I'd never have an X5 without them

d: etc

Tick only one of the above.

HOLA4418

The 'ladder' will instantly adjust to consume this extra cash. He might as well just write a cheque for £970m and hand it straight to the property developers. Without shared ownership schemes, these people would get to own all of a home instead of half of it.

HOLA4419

Can someone explain how shared ownership actually works?

It doesn't!! People tempted to go into Shared Ownership are miles better of staying at home or sharing with friends whilst saving up a decent deposit. Shared Ownership is a con!

Edited by OzzMosiz

HOLA4420

You can buy 25/50/75% of the property and the bank/government owns the rest, on which you then pay rent. Basically it's a heads I win, tails you lose situation, if house prices rise the unowned proportion is even more expensive and if prices fall your own share drops, and it's very difficult to sell. If prices rise 50% then you only benefit from half the increase, so if you couldn't afford anything before you certainly won't be able to afford anything else again as you're chasing your own tail.

It's very similar to those share appreciation schemes offered to old folks, it's all very well if you intend to live a cramped 1 bed room flat for the rest of your life. Of course you're also liable for all repairs and maintenance.

Right, so basically, I buy half of a house that I can't afford to buy all of, and rent the bit that I can't afford to buy... And how, if I can't afford to buy that bit, can I afford to rent it?

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Well, what was all that (budget 2006) about? No one even seems to know we exist and they definitely don't care.

How is this shared ownwrship any help. I don't want to own a tiny bit of a house!

Okay... Interest rates will rise.. the market will fail.. its the economic cycle...

Just remember.. realising you are priced out, whilst holding the debt you can't afford against an assett not worth enough to pay of the debt..

Feel bad for them