House Price Crash Forum

New London Rightmove Property Index

HOLA441

Based on the work I did for my Chrome plugin (https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/rightmove-london-property/ddnkogahnfkgkechllbdfgacnkikddbf) I've built an index of London asking price data and price per square foot. It's updated weekly.

I only have data since October, so I can't see what happens at the end of the year typically, but there is definitely an upward trend since November.

Here's the raw averages for ALL properties in ALL of London:

hpi_all_all_20240101_112832_avg.png.jpeg.2cc63007e3b73885db2091b240cd69fd.jpeghpi_all_all_20240101_112832_ppsqft.png.jpeg.b944c7b2a23174e18aca7bd6e1be83b1.jpeg

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
12 hours ago, Housepricecrash91 said:

What's the reason for the increased asking prices do we think?

Sellers feeling more confident due to inflation coming down and mortgage rates falling? Or less homes on the market currently?

That's just the houses advertised over Christmas, many listing get removed so distorts the figures for a couple of weeks

HOLA4412
1 hour ago, spxy said:

That's just the houses advertised over Christmas, many listing get removed so distorts the figures for a couple of weeks

Yes, indeed, the count went down significantly, albeit with many new postings on Boxing Day. The ppsqft figure should adjust for this, though.

Or properties that came on are more optimistically priced over xmas. I guess next year I'll have a better idea.

HOLA4413

Can you include median prices as these are less sensitive to skew, and if using average - please use the geometric mean rather than the arithmetic mean? This too will reduce skew caused by a few high value properties.

But good job.

HOLA4414
2 hours ago, micawber said:

Can you include median prices as these are less sensitive to skew, and if using average - please use the geometric mean rather than the arithmetic mean? This too will reduce skew caused by a few high value properties.

But good job.

Thanks.

Indeed that does change things. For SE ppsqft, for example: 

Screenshot2024-01-02at14_36_15.png.3fa9e4f2d604fc7ea4f8e3f3cb51dbdd.png

And for all London properties (arithmetic vs geometric vs median):

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 14.42.55.png

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Just to note that you will pay more per square foot in a studio than you will pay per square foot in a family house.

Not sure if that is a helpfull observation or not.

HOLA4417