House Price Crash Forum

Offer was rejected

HOLA441
14 minutes ago, notnow said:

I love your line about men are dificult. Some self analysis followed.

Living in countryside most of our life, we do not understand the London thing.  living in a flat in London while earning a lot but paying a lot would never work for us

Before the world jumps down my throat, I realise you are entitled to do what works for you. 

My wife and I agree that we have had 15 fantasic years of marriage, and out of 50 thats not bad, but I would never have dared to give my wife the task of finding our next house, that would not have ended well for her as it is so stressful. 

In a normal rental market in your position I would have sold, rented for a year then bought for 20 % off. But its not a normal rental market.

Kudos to you. Its hard work.

I don't think it's a coincidence that 66% of the Jewish community live in London. My husband has faced anti semitism when looking for jobs as he has a very obvious Jewish name and so he has tended to only get job offers from banks which are very diverse.. in our friendship circle, we find that most people either work for firms where they had a connection (other Jewish people) or the civil service or are doctors etc. Or are self-employed or have their own business.  And of course most of the 'connections' are in London. 

His sisters have moved to Israel, and they got jobs instantly after arrival despite not speaking the language, even places like Manchester did not cut it for one sibling. Not their experience at all in the Uk..This is something a lot of people often miss when they try to dissect why people stay in London when not Uber rich..most people have their pride and wish to be gainfully employed. And when they are gainfully employed they wish to have a stable home and in many cases that means buying the roof over their head..if the property is a bit smaller than what you would expect, then that's neither here nor there. It's still better to be gainfully employed and anyway you can't buy any house no matter how cheap if you don't have any earnings... And it's a lot easier to be gainfully employed in a city like London despite any kind of discrimination.

Edited by desiringonlychild

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

NoHPC, you wouldn't realise this unless you had been active in the market recently, but in some markets you are not considered a serious buyer unless you have your house already under offer. It helps to inform your budget if you have you have an offer, too 

Edited by mynamehere

HOLA445
23 minutes ago, mynamehere said:

NoHPC, you wouldn't realise this unless you had been active in the market recently, but in some markets you are not considered a serious buyer unless you have your house already under offer. It helps to inform your budget if you have you have an offer, too 

Yes

When we sold our parents house recently both us and the agent were in agreement not to consider anyone who either was not a FTB or had buyers in place for the house they were selling. 

When I bought the house I am in now I asked the people where they were going and what their situation was, they replied that they had a few places they were interested in but no one would take their offers seriously unless they had a buyer. Once I agreed to buy this place they were then able to put in a proper offer on another house. 

HOLA446
3 hours ago, desiringonlychild said:

Can my husband cycle to work in moorgate from your house in 20-40 mins? If yes, then sure. Sorry it's my husband's money too and he dictates the location, I only choose the flat within the narrow map of London (east finchley, Hampstead garden suburb, Highgate, Hampstead crouch end, Muswell hill and z1-2, nowhere south of the the river) he has drawn for me.. and he has veto power too. 

When we were buying with a budget of £400k in 2019, those were the parameters too and I somehow managed to find a 2 bed flat too (in the cheapest location of all those places on that list )after 1.5 years of searching.  Though in those days the other parts of finchley was also on the approved list.  Thank god that was when we were crashing out of the eu or we would not have been able to buy anywhere. Men are difficult.

How far is your existing home from this one?

HOLA447
HOLA448
On 8/1/2023 at 3:04 PM, desiringonlychild said:

Why should I sell if I can't find something to buy? I only own one property. 

Any update on what happened