House Price Crash Forum

Bond yields going up again could interest rates go higher then 4.5% in UK?

coypondboy

HOLA441
On 23/02/2023 at 10:56, TerryBoi said:

“Liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.” 

- Andrew Mellon.

🤣

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/01/opinion/01krugman.html

• March 31, 2011
  • Give this article
  •  

“Liquidate labor, liquidate stocks, liquidate the farmers, liquidate real estate.” That, according to Herbert Hoover, was the advice he received from Andrew Mellon, the Treasury secretary, as America plunged into depression. To be fair, there’s some question about whether Mellon actually said that; all we have is Hoover’s version, written many years later.

But one thing is clear: Mellon-style liquidationism is now the official doctrine of the G.O.P.

Edited by Tapori

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
On 03/03/2023 at 20:38, TheResponsibleHouseBuyer said:

I can bet my two pence (probably more if i had some ££ in my bank account) that the farmers get none of a share of it...... Yet we consumers keep paying more for these products.

Yep, Nope it won't go the farmers and why would they? Who represents the farmers and who represents the corporates?

You'll note that in India a year or so ago, irrespective of the fiery binary media commentary found there, the Farmers struck back when their - some would say archaic and restrictive farming price controls; i would say sensible provisions for farmer sustenance - were being opened up to essentially agglomeration of corporate tentacles, the Farmers literally fought back for a year and were decried largely in the pro-government/corporate press as terrorists.

This is always the issue philosophically speaking when discussing anywhere approaching an interesting discussion on economics and politics and society.

Anyone that critiques with great validity such rampant corruption of the type described with rampant profits under a mantra of free markets and lax regulation and lack of accountability of markets and for whom and what they serve, is met with a significant invective of:

You don't know economics

You want communism

You just don't understand pragmatism and the real world

We just need more de-regulation. What are you Stalin + Mao?

Rinse and repeat. I've said it before and I'll say it again; if we as a species cannot find a better way of organising a basic meritocratic bartering system with a balance of justice, collective rights and individualism with freedom and responsibility  given all of this technological development, then we might as well give up.

Edited by Tapori