House Price Crash Forum

Free Tesla Offered by House Seller in New Zealand...

Smith

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
23 hours ago, anonguest said:

Errr... why wouldn't the seller just reduce the asking price by the commensurate amount and keep his Tesla?

Could it be because.... they're stupid?

More likely, they think potential buyers are stupid. And, let's face it, there's plenty of evidence here in the UK: for example, buyers rushing to save a few thousand in stamp duty causing price increases of ten times that. In recent years, buyers have collectively been their own worst enemy.

HOLA447
1 hour ago, Smith said:

More likely, they think potential buyers are stupid. And, let's face it, there's plenty of evidence here in the UK: for example, buyers rushing to save a few thousand in stamp duty causing price increases of ten times that. In recent years, buyers have collectively been their own worst enemy.

In some respects I agree fully with that sentiment.

I look at modern 'new builds' and, not so much their price but more their mediocre build quality, appalling design and increasingly claustrophobic size. HTF people can see themselves spending a large fraction of their working lives cooped up those wage slave boxes - and remain sane - is beyond me.  The fact that they do speaks volumes as to the desparation of so many to be able to get a home of their own at any cost, and escape the appalling rental situation here in the UK.

As undesirable as renting may be I can't help but feel that if more renters were prepared to stick it out for just a bit longer and turn their noses up and walk away from the cr*p the housebuilders are churning out then market forces would force the builders to 'raise their game' and build what the market wants. As it is, the builders know they have a 'captive audience'.

Edited by anonguest

HOLA448
12 hours ago, anonguest said:

I look at modern 'new builds' and, not so much their price but more their mediocre build quality, appalling design and increasingly claustrophobic size. HTF people can see themselves spending a large fraction of their working lives cooped up those wage slave boxes - and remain sane - is beyond me.  The fact that they do speaks volumes as to the desparation of so many to be able to get a home of their own at any cost, and escape the appalling rental situation here in the UK.

As undesirable as renting may be I can't help but feel that if more renters were prepared to stick it out for just a bit longer and turn their noses up and walk away from the cr*p the housebuilders are churning out then market forces would force the builders to 'raise their game' and build what the market w

100% agree. Unfortunately most people are largely accepting of how things are and don't have the awareness or creativity to refuse to take part or find an alternative.

HOLA449
On 18/11/2022 at 08:50, anonguest said:

As undesirable as renting may be I can't help but feel that if more renters were prepared to stick it out for just a bit longer and turn their noses up and walk away from the cr*p the housebuilders are churning out then market forces would force the builders to 'raise their game' and build what the market wants. As it is, the builders know they have a 'captive audience'.

The trouble is the rental situation is so dire.

What is better...

1 - A wage slave box that will probably be cheaper with a mortgage than renting. The freedom to do what you like with the property. Building equity on a monthly basis. Security of knowing you can't be chucked out at the whim of some amateur "landlord". The freedom to have a family or pets if you so see fit. The freedom to not have someone intrude into your home by dropping by for "a chat" or inspection.

2 - A wage slave box that you are basically buying for someone else. Have no freedom or security and be worried you can be chucked out at the whim of someone who might just not like you to have a kid in "their property" or a family pet or hell even just feel they can dictate they don't want you cooking curries there - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-41915889

There just is not enough protections for tenants in this country to make renting a viable choice IMHO.

HOLA4410
On 17/11/2022 at 07:49, anonguest said:

Errr... why wouldn't the seller just reduce the asking price by the commensurate amount and keep his Tesla?

Could it be because.... they're stupid?

The cost of credit to buy a second hand Tesla is likely greater than the cost of the same nominal sum as a mortgage. The vendor thinks his assets have a well-defined intrinsic value - rather than having a specific level of appeal to various different buyers... and, as he doesn't care who he sells to - he expects buyers to be similarly disinterested in the specific assets they buy.

If - as a buyer - one needed to exceed a deposit amount - in order to get a sensible mortgage... One could buy the house (wiping out savings) valued as if it included a £50K tesla... and the say after buying the house, one could then sell the Tesla and recoup £50K of liquid cash that one couldn't have retained from the deposit - while securing the mortgage deal.  It would require a contract, with a third party, to buy the unwanted car immediately after completion - if the scheme were to make sense.  The thought process suggests that the vendor is highly leveraged and expects similar of the next owner.