House Price Crash Forum

avoid the apple tax on a metal build laptop

longgone

HOLA441

https://www.banggood.com/BMAX-Y11-Laptop-11_6-Inch-360-degree-Touchscreen-Intel-N4120-8GB-256GB-SSD-13mm-Thickness-Full-Metal-Case-Lightweight-Notebook-p-1542132.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN#jsReviewsWrap

very well built full metal laptop with good spec for the price  

https://www.techradar.com/news/this-is-the-cheapest-convertible-2-in-1-laptop-thats-actually-worth-buying discount codes here. 

i have 3 on order paid in $ CC doing the exchange so works out at £216 a piece and quidco CB 😁

maybe useful to some if you like a lite 1kg machine. 

HOLA442

Looks quite nice would be good with a nice fitting slip case to keep in a tool bag. I've got an 8 inch Win8 tablet with a folio case and little keyboard, pretty crappy spec. and cant run any hungry programs realistically but its been quite useful for a 99 quid impulse buy. For the money its well earned itself in my tool bag and not bothered if it has an accident with the hammer.

HOLA443
10 hours ago, smash said:

Looks quite nice would be good with a nice fitting slip case to keep in a tool bag. I've got an 8 inch Win8 tablet with a folio case and little keyboard, pretty crappy spec. and cant run any hungry programs realistically but its been quite useful for a 99 quid impulse buy. For the money its well earned itself in my tool bag and not bothered if it has an accident with the hammer.

🤣
always useful to have a tablet and hammer in the bag.

Its difficult to find a good specced 11.6" machine, this will be handy for travelling. Amazing what 200 quid buys now

HOLA444

Probably won't be buying one, but it does look good for the money, finally a situation where the costs of offshore manufacturer are passed on to the customer, rather than kept as extra profits!!

Also, it feels like there hasn't been much improvement in laptops for years spec wise.  Took ages for SSD to be the norm, and 16GB memory is nowhere near being the norm.

HOLA445
58 minutes ago, reddog said:

Probably won't be buying one, but it does look good for the money, finally a situation where the costs of offshore manufacturer are passed on to the customer, rather than kept as extra profits!!

Also, it feels like there hasn't been much improvement in laptops for years spec wise.  Took ages for SSD to be the norm, and 16GB memory is nowhere near being the norm.

To be fair these type of machines have been around for years started with the jumper range of laptops, a generic aluminium chassis tailored to different manufactures requirements. 

teclast bmax coda jumper all use the same base chassis and just use different specs depending on price.  

The coda wave was only £99 but only came with 4gb ram and a lower spec processor and no ssd.  agree on ram though i would wish they just left slots instead of soldered ram. 

HOLA446
3 hours ago, longgone said:

To be fair these type of machines have been around for years started with the jumper range of laptops, a generic aluminium chassis tailored to different manufactures requirements. 

To be honest, I only usually look at the mainstream manufacturers.

Have you bought one of these before?  Does it come with s proper windows license?  Any other issues with importing direct from China?

HOLA447
56 minutes ago, reddog said:

To be honest, I only usually look at the mainstream manufacturers.

Have you bought one of these before?  Does it come with s proper windows license?  Any other issues with importing direct from China?

I have bought similar machines yes.  still waiting on this one but reviews seem to say it's good. The 8GB ddr4 helps. 

All machines now have embedded licences into the system board so no issues to install win10 although it has a build on it I always rebuild as you never know with sneaky Chinese putting backdoors in the build.

They are always sent as samples or gifts on the customs forms so never get hit along as standard mail is picked. Banggood refund the customs charge if you did anyway. Just make sure you use paypal.

HOLA448

I got a Pinebook Pro, which was $200 and has a metal case.

https://store.pine64.org/?post_type=product

There is also a Pinebook for $99.

That said, it is ARM based and you need to run Linux. But I can do everything on it, even Office and Teams in the Browser.

HOLA449

Archived