House Price Crash Forum

Bristol Anecdotal

50:50

HOLA441

A couple of weeks ago about 10-12 houses went up for sale on my drive to work. I went on holiday last week and I came back to find that every single house has a sold sign outside. There is one house that has been on and off the market for the past 12 months which now has a sold sign outside. Stuff appears to be moving quite quickly at the moment. :angry:

HOLA442

All I'm seeing within my price range is a huge glut of overpriced 1 bedroom flats. Most of them seem to be recent conversions of average size family homes and are in my opinion hugely overpriced. No wonder there's a shortage of decent housing when there are hundreds of 'developer' muppets raping perfectly good housing in order to make a quick buck.

Come the day brother...

:lol:

HOLA443

Drive along (or walk for that matter) along Pembroke Road in Clifton, and you'll se a sea of for sale and to(i)let signs, barely a sold sign between them (well there's a cluster in one section of about 6 anyway!). These have been hanging around for months. I agree that around the beginning of Jan I saw a couple of sold signs go up. But for every one of these there seems to be a couple of new for sale signs. But maybe it's diferent in other areas?

HOLA444

A bloke I work with was telling me yesterday how his landlords sister had recently bought in Bristol and negotiated to buy at £115K from as asking price of £180K.... sounds too good to be true, but I can't see him having any reson to lie - he's a kiwi who is renting over here while contracting.

HOLA445

A bloke I work with was telling me yesterday how his landlords sister had recently bought in Bristol and negotiated to buy at £115K from as asking price of £180K.... sounds too good to be true, but I can't see him having any reson to lie - he's a kiwi who is renting over here while contracting.

What sort of property? £180K in my area could buy a 3 bedroom detached if you look around.

HOLA446

I have been watching bs1 on rightmove and keeping a note of new property's in the last 24 hours and there is an average of 5 per day coming on and it is rising. A lot of the new ones are coming on for less £ than some of the crap thats been on for 6 months. Also noted that a high percentage of them are no chain sales.

ril

HOLA447

Meybe I should clarify a bit, most of the houses that have sold are in Southmead and Filton (not the nicest of areas). On the other hand, there is a development of new builds (a few years old) round the corner from my house in Westbury-on-Trym and none of them seem to be selling (they are all way over priced anyway).

It could be that the examples of sales I have seen have shifted quickly because they are at the cheaper end of the market in Bristol.

HOLA448
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

Came back to Bristol the other weekend, and there seems to have been a little flurry of activity with a few more sold signs. Sorry.....things seem to be moving again, it's madness. The asking prices seem pretty static, but I have also noticed a few houses advertised with up to £10,000 knocked of the asking price and/or 'offers invited'. But no sign of things going completely belly up at the mo.

HOLA4410
Guest boredwaiting

Came back to Bristol the other weekend, and there seems to have been a little flurry of activity with a few more sold signs. Sorry.....things seem to be moving again, it's madness. The asking prices seem pretty static, but I have also noticed a few houses advertised with up to £10,000 knocked of the asking price and/or 'offers invited'. But no sign of things going completely belly up at the mo.

I have noticed the same thing in Bath. Houses are moving very fast. It's been several years now since I first thought that there may be a crash - but now i can't see it happening. Everything seems to be moving along.

HOLA4411

I live in BS1 and around me there is more house are coming on every day, in one street there are 4 exact same house's for sale, everybody I meet seems to be selling there house and lots are awaiting March 1st to put there house on the market, I think there is currently a big oversupply in bristol city centre and its getting worse every day.

Edited by ril

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest Winners and Losers

" lots are awaiting March 1st to put there house on the market, I think there is currently a big oversupply in bristol city centre and its getting worse every day."

What is the significance of 1st March?

Spring!!! bounce on the way!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

" lots are awaiting March 1st to put there house on the market, I think there is currently a big oversupply in bristol city centre and its getting worse every day."

What is the significance of 1st March?

Not sure, it may because its spring in most people mind sets, xmas is out of the way and the weather is getting a bit better, there is always a surge in spring,

HOLA4416

I can believe that is happening in Bristol. It is still £30k-£40k cheaper than other areas in the south.

I used to live in Bristol but have now moved back to the Dorset area.

Seeing a lot of properties, especially around Poole being sold very quickly - if EA's websites are to go by.

Prices seem to be on the way back up....!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

That is just total madness prices- who the hell can afford those? Or would want to!

And the best bit is that the photo's show the waterfront and collage green, but the flats are on hotwells road and have no view of the water (they might if you lean out over the balconey), hotwells road is the most noise and busy road in bristol, I know i walk along it every bloody day!!!!

ril

HOLA4422
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Ray of hope.

27 Nov 2003 23 Austen Place, The Ridge, Bristol, City Of Bristol BS11 0DB Flat £119,995

and

14 Oct 2005 23 Austen Place, The Ridge, Bristol, City Of Bristol BS11 0DB Flat £119,950

D

they are still only asking £125k in 2006

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-575...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

And this one made £5 in 2 years!!

19/12/2003 £116,995 Flat L/H Map Austen Place, 19, The Ridge, Bristol, City Of Bristol, BS11 0DB

04/02/2005 £117,000 Flat L/H Map Austen Place, 19, The Ridge, Bristol, City Of Bristol, BS11 0DB

but number 16 made about 5% per year, some poor sucker payed 10K too much for that one.

ril

HOLA4425

I had a look at a few places today that I'd earmarked over the last week in the St Geaorge, Fishponds and Easton areas. Not good news I'm afraid as all had Sold signs outside, apart from one which looked like a complete dump.

Also popped in to register with an EA. I was chatting to him for a while and he reckons prices have gone up by 5% since the start of the year and propertys are selling very quickly.

:blink:

Hopefully this is just a dead cat/spring bounce, but from my experience today a bounce it most definately is.

:ph34r:

Edited by devslim