House Price Crash Forum

Trailer Park Living

HOLA441

No disrespect intended to those that have to live in trailer parks in the USofA. Repeat of the Morgan Sperlock 30 days on More4 last night highlighting just how hard it can be to live in the US on low wages, and then you get this in your inbox. No difference between trailers and Redrow`s debut range though..

http://www.hutchnews.com/news/local/stories/Homes020106.html

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA442
HOLA443

I was shocked by the number of people who appear to be living in what are effectively "Trailer Parks" in the SE of England. How did it come to this?

HOLA444

link deleted as it wouldn't work.

Theres a 'mobile home' for sale near here. £145k! :blink:

Works for me on/through the original post :blink:

Reno County's 800-plus manufactured homes - including mobile homes and trailers - are placed on the ground in any number of ways: over basements, on poured foundations, sitting on wheels or up on blocks.

In the past, that didn't matter for how the county appraised the property. But this year the appraiser's office has a consistent set of criteria it will use to classify the properties.

As a result, about 600 of those properties will be reclassified for taxing purposes as personal property - like a car or boat - rather than as real estate, officials said.

While that won't change the amount of taxes collected, it could have a significant impact on the ability of the property owners to obtain mortgages or loans on the homes.

The issue, said Reno County Appraiser Marvin Clements, is the ease with which the property might be moved - and potentially disappear with taxes owing.

The issue to Mark Steele, who owns a doublewide mobile home in the county as a rental property, is that if he decides to sell it, he worries he'll have a hard time finding a buyer who can pay cash or a lender who'll give a loan.

"My house is unsellable now," Steele said.

Before, there were no consistent criteria on whether a manufactured home was considered real or personal property, Clements said. But for 2006, manufactured homes will be classified real property only if the same person owns both the structure and the land it's on and the structure is on a permanent foundation.

"You can move a house, but if I picked up my stick-built house, everyone in the neighborhood would know about it," Clements said. "We're worried about a home that can be driven off in the middle of the night. If a manufactured home is on a permanent foundation, we're not as worried."It's ultimately up to the county appraiser to decide if a foundation is permanent or not, said Roger Hamm, supervisor for personal property with the Kansas Division of Property Valuation at the Kansas Department of Revenue.

Under Reno County's new criteria, a foundation of cement blocks mortared together is considered permanent, Clements said. Same with a home placed atop a basement or any other foundation that would require serious work and ultimately destruction of the foundation to move the home.

"I can see where, to an individual who lives there, that it's no different than living in a house," said Tim Wooding, president of the Kansas Association of Mortgage Brokers. "The problem is, with real property, it's something you can attach that you cannot take away. If someone quit making payments on a car and you have to come in to repossess it but you can't find it, it's hard to repossess."

There are lenders who'll give loans for manufactured homes, but they're hard to find and often lend money at rates much higher than for stick-built homes, Wooding said.

That's exactly what concerns Steele.

His doublewide rental rests on concrete blocks, but the hitch and axels have been removed and he doesn't intend to move it, Steele said.

"It's a doublewide mobile home that has been sitting there since 1977," Steele said. "It's been classified as real property for the last eight years and now, suddenly our appraiser decides it doesn't meet the permanent foundation requirements."

Appraisal questions

Those who have questions about the classification of their manufactured homes should call the appraiser's office, (620) 694-2918.

The county has until April 1 to send out personal property valuations.

Taxpayers then have 30 days to protest those statements and can protest classifications at that time, Reno County Appraiser Marvin Clements said

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Please don't use the expression ''Trailer-trash''...................

Calling people ''chavs'' is fine as chaviness is a chosen lifestyle like we choose our style of clothes.

but people who live in trailers generally don't choose to and do so because they are economically disadvantaged ..........

In other words it's fine by me to ridicule someone's dress sense for example but not their economic status

Edited by Michael

HOLA448
HOLA449

Calling people ''chavs'' is fine as chaviness is a chosen lifestyle like our we choose our style of clothes.

but people who live in trailers generally don't choose to and do so because they are economically disadvantaged ..........

In other words it's fine by me to ridicule someone's dress sense for example but not their economic status

As you can see I did post no disrespect etc. :( It is an appaling state of affairs that could be headed our way. Full edit taken place Michael

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Calling people ''chavs'' is fine as chaviness is a chosen lifestyle like we choose our style of clothes.

Doesn't chav stand for 'council house and violent'? It does round here anyway!

HOLA4413

If prices carry on rising as they are 'trailer-trash' will be a new social label in the UK.

i take it your the self-nominated pc compliance officer on hpc then?