House Price Crash Forum

Intimidation Over Buying Housing Repos - Ireland

HOLA441

Yes, there are whole streets in East Belfast that have been HMO-ed and rented to immigrants.

South Belfast, especially around holylands near the Asian Supermarket, feels like you're in eastern europe. I walk through the area a couple of times a week and there's entire streets which have been taken over.

It's got to the point where I wouldn't buy a house anywhere where there's high density housing. i.e. terraced houses. I also hear reports of apartment blocks going downhill when whole families of immigrants (and sometimes multiple families) are crammed into small flats.

Housing stock never seemed very good in Belfast - I quite like Rosetta/Ormeau areas these days but I was there in Troubles and Ormeau Rd dodgy all along back then. Big danger/flashpoint area. Rosetta always OK though. I would definitely steer clear of any flats in Belfast... always hearing horror stories because of fellow tenants largely.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA442

I think they (the tourists) have diverted to Wales, looking at the numbers of international tourists this year - it was mad in August! Where is his home? Much of Ireland isn't really on the tourist map - easier on the coast (but it depends) and they don't do holiday cottages very well - I avoid cottages like the plague over there after quite a few awful experiences - hotels tend to be better (though not always - some of the more modern "Celtic Tiger" hotels have paper thin walls!).

RE: Landlords - well Parnell, Davitt, Connolly didn't like landlords ha! You would be in good Irish company lol! Ireland has a long political tradition of opposing landlordism of course (Protestant and Catholic). People forget that.

I have never understood tourism in the Irish Republic. Since they adopted the Euro, it is not a cheap place to visit, it is a long car/ferry journey, and the weather and scenery is no better than Wales.

I lived in Dublin for a year, many years ago. The Irish may be an endearing people, but they had a flexible attitude to rules and regulations. Farmers and artists/writers paid no income tax. The country was run by an old boys network of influential families who all were involved to some extent in corrupt deals. Meanwhile the poor were kept happy in their poverty by religion and brainwashing with the mythology surrounding independence.

But nowadays the Catholic Church seems to be losing its hold over people's minds. The immigration issue is interesting. I suspect it reflects the ease with which 'qualified' immigrants from outside the EU can get jobs there, while the educated Irish can emigrate to Australia, Canada and the USA. Even back in the '80s there were quite a few Arabs in the Irish hospitals, because the Irish state maintained relations with countries like Libya (unrelated to the Semtex issue).

HOLA443

Pick me up on it if you want, I dont care, I would ask why do you care I can be angry if I want, It is good to be angry. I am not angry now but i think it is good to use all your emotions. More people should be angry when they see corrupt violent behaviour. Its a lack of anger that has let so many get away with so much.I would say though it is a beautiful wonderful thing to be genuinely angry about something. To care with passion and use it for focus. It is a lack of control over anger which leads to a negative place.

Why do you use ridiculous straw man arguments like "but by your reasoning all foreign investment is exploitation" you can invest what and where you want but to openly invest in someone who is proven to participate in modern slavery is wrong. There are many organisations you can invest in on your best moral judgement, yes there will always be things you cannot know but Apple have a long track record of proven bad behaviour and slavery so its not a good example.

I have a number of shares I try to research the comapnies behaviour and practises before i invest. I would expect I am not perfect but at least I try.

I bring it up because all these people who do this, who wrecked ireland and other places are starting to see it unravel. I am not Jesus so yes I take great pleasure in it, maybe Ill think differently after a period of enlightenment? I doubt it.

So sorry if you think I am angry. It doesnt matter to you.why are you seeking to sit in moral judgement of me? THis is HPC not confession :)

have a good night and thanks for your insight

Address my points as I have addressed yours

I picked Apple of the top of my head - I will posit that just about every multinational on the FTSE is ethically compromised in==

Is there a shortage of houses in Ireland?

I retrospect, i don't really give a fig how angry you are

HOLA444

I didnt address your points for two reasons

1. I was working, you know when you run a business sometimes you work late on a Sunday night.

2. they were a bit shit and strike me as someone trying to be clever who maybe isnt. There are some right clever folk on here, smarter than me but your just seemed more like ego defense rather than any real points worth arguing. Silly straw men which would go in circles.

as a result I couldn't be arsed finding data taking on your points. Sorry but like I said I give zero ******s what you think, so lets leave it there eh?

HOLA445
19 hours ago, gruffydd said:

Yes, there are whole streets in East Belfast that have been HMO-ed and rented to immigrants.

South Belfast, especially around holylands near the Asian Supermarket, feels like you're in eastern europe. I walk through the area a couple of times a week and there's entire streets which have been taken over.

It's got to the point where I wouldn't buy a house anywhere where there's high density housing. i.e. terraced houses. I also hear reports of apartment blocks going downhill when whole families of immigrants (and sometimes multiple families) are crammed into small flats.

Housing stock never seemed very good in Belfast - I quite like Rosetta/Ormeau areas these days but I was there in Troubles and Ormeau Rd dodgy all along back then. Big danger/flashpoint area. Rosetta always OK though. I would definitely steer clear of any flats in Belfast... always hearing horror stories because of fellow tenants largely. 

Parts of the Holy land's looks like something out of Angela's Ashes. 

I also hear some of the locals referring to Letterkenny as LetterKenya. Massive African population I'm told. 

HOLA446
7 hours ago, Sandwiches33 said:

I didnt address your points for two reasons

1. I was working, you know when you run a business sometimes you work late on a Sunday night.

2. they were a bit shit and strike me as someone trying to be clever who maybe isnt. There are some right clever folk on here, smarter than me but your just seemed more like ego defense rather than any real points worth arguing. Silly straw men which would go in circles.

as a result I couldn't be arsed finding data taking on your points. Sorry but like I said I give zero ******s what you think, so lets leave it there eh?

1. You run a business - shame it doesn't make you enough money to buy a home

2. Yeah it's always a pain to back up assertions with data - Plenty of spare houses in Ireland - they just need doing up

http://www.thejournal.ie/houses-empty-around-the-country-2783895-May2016/

on ignore you bogtrotter - it's been a pleasure

Edited by knock out johnny

HOLA447
On 9/25/2016 at 0:04 AM, John The Pessimist said:

Whenever I go back to Ireland I do see a huge difference in what was pretty much a homogeneous country pre 2004. I suspect it has a lot more to do with the relaxed citizenship laws more than anything to do with housing. Drop a sprog in Ireland and it's a citizen. Makes deporting the rest of the family 'problematic', to say the least.

Children born in Ireland aren't automatically Irish and haven't been since the end of 2004, so I don't think that's our explanation.