House Price Crash Forum

House Prices In North Wales

lagos36

HOLA441

I was thinking of buying a house in my home town of Rhyl during the summer,I was put off by the prices which seem to have tripled since 2001 and by the number of houses for sale, it seemed that every street I went down there were a forest of for sale signs which made me think nobody is buying .I think I,ll stand off and see what happens,anyone know whats going on up there?

HOLA442

We just received a Christmas card from a former employee of my wifes business as a Pharmacy Dispenser, (six years ago since we left the ountry), lives quite close to Rhyl and works in Flint

Just a brief note on the card saying.

"Houses for sale everywhere, lots of people coming and going, all sorts of foreign language that we can't understand moving in here, a lot on benefits getting free scrips, everywhere seems to be changing in North Wales"?

Got the impression it could be BTLs buying property.

HOLA443

Rhyl made a Welsh TV prog a few months ago - apparently it has become a town where houses have been bought up en masse by BTL landlords and who are then renting them out, va DHSS, to immigrants. This has caused a great deal of anger and resentment in the area with many local residents now openly hostile to what has gone on and how their own neighbourhoods have been transformed.

Rhyl, at one point in the last 2 years, had the 'proud' boast of being the poorest part of Wales in what is, after all, the poorest country in the EU.

HOLA444

Thanks for the confirmation that I read between the lines correctly, seems to be the case all along the North Wales coast, Flint etc, Holywell I believe is swamped with DSS as the Manx call them, 'comeovers'.

You would have to be mad to buy within 50 miles of Padeswood, Buckley anyway. Castle Cement the 7th biggest polluter in the U.K. it got shut down by the Environment Agency last March.

Do a Google for 'Cank' "Campaign Against the new Kiln", frighten anyone to death, might have lambs with two heads and six legs around North Wales next spring.

Edited by Serpico

HOLA445

Yes I think you guys have it spot on,I think this trend has happened all over the country ,BTLers sweeping across the land buying up what they can ,the prices have trebled in Rhyl since 2001.What will be happening now is the BTLers will be gobbling up any remaining cheap property in areas yet untouched by their greedy profiteering ,once they go that will be it ,sky high prices throughout the length and breadth of the country.

Thanks for the confirmation that I read between the lines correctly, seems to be the case all along the North Wales coast, Flint etc, Holywell I believe is swamped with DSS as the Manx call them, 'comeovers'.

You would have to be mad to buy within 50 miles of Padeswood, Buckley anyway. Castle Cement the 7th biggest polluter in the U.K. it got shut down by the Environment Agency last March.

Do a Google for 'Cank' "Campaign Against the new Kiln", frighten anyone to death, might have lambs with two heads and six legs around North Wales next spring.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA446

Any current news on this area?

Yes I think you guys have it spot on,I think this trend has happened all over the country ,BTLers sweeping across the land buying up what they can ,the prices have trebled in Rhyl since 2001.What will be happening now is the BTLers will be gobbling up any remaining cheap property in areas yet untouched by their greedy profiteering ,once they go that will be it ,sky high prices throughout the length and breadth of the country.

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

HOLA447

if you look at castle cements website it says that the new kiln is now operational.

claims to be lower in co2 emisisons etc.

could this be why i have a second neck growing.?

if so where do i buy special shirts?

HOLA448

Lower emmisions! ********, I supppose that's why the E.A shut it down tempoarilily last year. Castle Cement is a major catastrophe for North Wales, Chester and the Wirral, I have a lot of friends around there who are very worried, nothings selling in the local area it looks like NASA, even MBNA were up in arms about and the risk to employees health.

Before anyone buys there they should seriously into the problem, Castle Cement built a similar Kiln in Lancashire with disastrous effects on the local population, I would not live there for free.

Well worth talking to the local Pennyfford Councillor Derek Darlington, or the retired former Chairman of Flintshire County Council Tom Jones MBE, another former Councillor with plenty to say about it is Klaus Armstrong Braunbefore moving into the area, he is in Saltney.

Edited by Serpico

HOLA449

Not quite. It is a case of the BTL brigade scraping the bottom of the barrel by buying up fag end houses in fag end areas and probably renting them to fag end people. I don't know Rhyl too well but I doubt it is a property hotspot. If Rhyl was good enough for professional investors then they would have stuck their fingers in the town years ago.

• 2 years later...
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Hi,

it's a stale mate with prices up here im afraid but im sure people wont miss out on a sale if you put in a cheeky offer.

I wouldn't touch Rhyl with a barge pole though, it's known as the drugs capital of the UK .

I live on Anglesey much nicer and hardly any crime or drugs incomparison to places on the mainland.

loz

Edited by LOZ007

HOLA4412
Hi,

it's a stale mate with prices up here im afraid but im sure people wont miss out on a sale if you put in a cheeky offer.

I wouldn't touch Rhyl with a barge pole though, it's known as the drugs capital of the UK .

I live on Anglesey much nicer and hardly any crime or drugs incomparison to places on the mainland.

loz

Drugs capital of the UK? what ,even more than Brixton, Toxteth and Moss Side?? your having a laugh mate, its muppets like you that give Rhyl a bad name , thats a typical statement ,more often than not made by English people. in case you didn't know , the majority of bums in Rhyl are the dregs of Liverpool , Birmingham and Manchester, people who went there on holiday and never buggered off. It would not surprize me to learn that you come from one of those places yourself.

HOLA4413
I was thinking of buying a house in my home town of Rhyl during the summer,I was put off by the prices which seem to have tripled since 2001 and by the number of houses for sale, it seemed that every street I went down there were a forest of for sale signs which made me think nobody is buying .I think I,ll stand off and see what happens,anyone know whats going on up there?

My father-in-law lives in Colwyn Bay and he has seen the town's houses being turned into flats by developers. Now the developers cannot sell them, so they are letting them out. Unfortunately, the tenants don't tend to stay long and move out after a short time. Not sure what is going on there or who is living in these flats, but they don't appear to have any money whatsoever going by the state of them.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4414
Hi,

loz

Sorry for late reply, no i'm not a muppet I was born and bred on Anglesey and know Rhyl very well.

I have to send engineers there most days to service appliances and trust me it is not a nice area, is used to be about 20 odd years ago. Shame because i used to really like going to the fair there when I was a kid and yes it is the drugs capital of the U.K.

If you want to live there then by all means, but all I was offering was some advice about my experience of the area!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Im seeing quite a few properties going to SSTC in between Colwyn Bay and Llandudno.

Ive also read this recently

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wale...55578-22858329/

'Green shoots' mentioned??!!

Cant understand why they are selling (if they do go through that is)

Will be interesting to see agreed prices in a few months...

Yeah, theres been a bit of buying frenzi at the moment around this area and heard lot of people mentioning that the market is picking up.

loz

HOLA4417

There was an article in the Daily Post yesterday going on about a house with a guide price of £35k in Bangor that had sold at auction for £70k double the asking price, gasp! Green shoots were mentioned!

To put it in perspective though, similar properties in Bangor are n with agents at £135k with some STC. Bangor has a student population ripe for potential BTLers so a house selling for £70k at auctio is hardly grounds to be pronouncing 'green shoots'.

Daily Post Article

A HOUSE in Bangor has been sold at auction for a staggering £70,000 – twice its recommended price guide of £35,000.

The mid-terrace house at Lower Street, Caellepa, sold on the first day of the All Wales Auction in North Wales with the Property People. It could have been sold for £1 because it didn’t have a reserve price.

Other properties sold at the auction included a terrace house at Caernarfon, an end of terrace house with a price guide of £55,000 selling for £77,000, and a property at Llaneilian on Anglesey selling at £112,000.

Auctioneer Melfyn Williams said: "Bidding for the Bangor property in particular was like being back in the boom days. Competition was strong.

“The house in Caellepa was a simple two-bedroomed terrace which needed a lot of renovation work on it, but it attracted a strong following.”

House prices are continuing to fall. Monthly prices in Wales fell by 0.8% in January, according to latest figures from the Land Registry.

The average Gwynedd house price is down to £143,000.

In terms of Rhyl and Colwyn Bay, it's a real shame how these former grand victorian towns have been left to decline in such a way. Former hotels and guest houses been converted into flats and bedsits. Unscrupulous landlords touting there properties in prisons etc. Local authorities being forced to accept problem families from other towns.

Rhyl has lost the fair and apparently the Sun Centre which is its only real remaining tourist attraction is also faced with closure. Fortunately, West Rhyl is being redeveloped in the hope the former crime hotspot can be turned around. I can't really comment on house prices in Rhyl per se, but house prices in North Wales as a whole don't seem to be moving much.

As someone mentions above, there are a few Sold and STC signs going up in the Conwy County area so possibly this little flurry might prevent prices coming down any quicker in the short term.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I lived for a time in Llangollen which I loved. Anybody tell me what is happening in Chirck? Can't remember the name of that polluting company but I remember that you could smell the discharge all over the place. It was disgusting and used to belch out smoke day and night but they were (or maybe still are) a major employer. Think they produced fibreboard or something similar.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wale...55578-23251175/

Anglesey-based estate agent Melfyn Williams, a past president of the National Association of Estate Agents, said: “The figures confirm what we have said for months that the prices in the north west of Wales have hit bottom and are beginning to rise.

“We are seeing mid-range properties, which have had their asking prices reduced, begin to sell and a few at the top end of the market have also sold. Previously it was only the affordable housing or terraced properties that were selling

Looks like Anglesey EA's are also loving it.

Lets hope its a blip....

• 1 month later...
HOLA4422
http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wale...55578-23251175/

Anglesey-based estate agent Melfyn Williams, a past president of the National Association of Estate Agents, said: “The figures confirm what we have said for months that the prices in the north west of Wales have hit bottom and are beginning to rise.

“We are seeing mid-range properties, which have had their asking prices reduced, begin to sell and a few at the top end of the market have also sold. Previously it was only the affordable housing or terraced properties that were selling

Looks like Anglesey EA's are also loving it.

Lets hope its a blip....

Looks like the EA's still loving it up, houses are still selling at a steady pace and people renting has increased could be seasonally affected not too sure?

Loz

HOLA4423
In terms of Rhyl and Colwyn Bay, it's a real shame how these former grand victorian towns have been left to decline in such a way. Former hotels and guest houses been converted into flats and bedsits. Unscrupulous landlords touting there properties in prisons etc. Local authorities being forced to accept problem families from other towns.

Sam thing has happened in the Brynmill and Uplands areas of Swansea - tragic. Probably the same has happened across the UK.

Truth is such houses should have been knocked down decades ago as they are not good for modern living. Most of the UK housing stock should have been knocked down and replaced more frequently though.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4424

http://www.northwalesweeklynews.co.uk/conw...55243-23559948/

"Cllr Bob Squire blames bedsit accommodation on the town’s decline and believes a regeneration plan will now finally see the rejuvenation of the town."

Someone agrees with the theory of the number of bedsits dragging the town down.

Looking like local 'bounce' is cooling of. Very few sold boards going up now however very few quality properties coming onto market. A number of flats in Colwyn Bay/Llandudno area listed in forthcoming Allsop auction.

• 3 months later...
HOLA4425

i only joined to have my say i'm looking to move to rhyl or surrounding and i'm on dhss i'm having problems getting a house i'm a mom of 4 children so if you no to houses that are taking dhss then please let me no i have phoned over 100 and cant get one