House Price Crash Forum

Drill Bit And Counter Sink For Steel Angle

HOLA441

I need to pop into Wickes this afternoon to pick up some stuff for a project. Basically I need to drill through some steel angle and counter sink the holes, and I also need to buy the suitable drill bits for the job. Can anyone recommend what to go for to drill through this stuff:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-20mm-Hot-Rolled-Steel-Angle-1000mm/p/188289

I've got a drill stand which should hopefully be good enough for the job - I don't need anything super accurate, but I don't know if a standard metal bit will go through that stuff, and also what I need to counter sink it (bigger drill bit, or proper counter sink bit?).

Any suggestions very much appreciated - you wouldn't want to keep a man from completing his table saw sled, now would you? ;)

HOLA442
Guest eight

I need to pop into Wickes this afternoon to pick up some stuff for a project. Basically I need to drill through some steel angle and counter sink the holes, and I also need to buy the suitable drill bits for the job. Can anyone recommend what to go for to drill through this stuff:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-20mm-Hot-Rolled-Steel-Angle-1000mm/p/188289

I've got a drill stand which should hopefully be good enough for the job - I don't need anything super accurate, but I don't know if a standard metal bit will go through that stuff, and also what I need to counter sink it (bigger drill bit, or proper counter sink bit?).

Any suggestions very much appreciated - you wouldn't want to keep a man from completing his table saw sled, now would you? ;)

Standard HSS drill bit, countersink with bigger drill bit, I would have thought.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Standard HSS drill bit, countersink with bigger drill bit, I would have thought.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've been spending a bloody fortune on odds and sods of late so good to know I should be able to do it reasonably cheaply.

Why not ask at Wickes? They sell the stuff, and nobody here can do DIY.

Yep, doesn't necessarily mean they know anything about it though. Anyway, this place is filled to the brim with DIY experts. Well, compared to me they are anyway ;)

HOLA445

Standard HSS for drilling.

I'd recommend a proper countersink bit. The trouble with using an oversize bit is that it could bite in and take too much material out - and you've not got that much to play with.

If your holes are big enough (to generate heat) then use cutting fluid. If you've not got any then use wd-40 - it isn't a good cutting fluid, but will help slightly.

Use a centre punch. I know you're not interested in accuracy (particularly), but it will give a guide to the bit and help it bite.

HOLA446

Standard HSS for drilling.

I'd recommend a proper countersink bit. The trouble with using an oversize bit is that it could bite in and take too much material out - and you've not got that much to play with.

If your holes are big enough (to generate heat) then use cutting fluid. If you've not got any then use wd-40 - it isn't a good cutting fluid, but will help slightly.

Use a centre punch. I know you're not interested in accuracy (particularly), but it will give a guide to the bit and help it bite.

Excellent, thanks - I have WD40 so I'll give it a squirt and take it steady. I've also got punches - go me! Right, I'm off to go and buy. Reg Prescott eat your heart out.

HOLA447

Remember the unwritten rule of Wickestopia! You go in for one plumbing part and come out with £100 of tat you will never use. :blink:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest eight

Other better DIY retailers are available.

Wickes is my favourite, I must admit. Although I do have a soft spot for the throwback independent oddball ones that you find off the high streets of forgotten towns.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Is Wickes still like that near you? Used to be the best for hardware and timber etc but last time I went in all they sold was kitchens and bathrooms (Longwell Green brsitol branch).

B&Q was the only way forward.

I am familiar with Longwell Green.

HOLA4416

I am familiar with Longwell Green.

Heh, me too :)

I prefer Wickes to anything else locally, at least if I have to use a big retailer. We have an old style hardware store nearby where you can buy single screws and the shop-keeper calculates the total in his head, and the dog sits behind the counter while the cat sits on it. I'd buy everything there if I could, but they aren't so good for timber etc.

I really need to make friends with a local timber merchant and buy direct in future. Wickes are OK for my needs but I'm sure I could save a fortune with a bit of research.

Archived