House Price Crash Forum

Iain Duncan Smith Hints At Welfare Privatisation

HOLA441

It sounds like an extension of the Work Programme. Reported as being same or worse of doing nothing and costing millions/billions ? In the category of being seen to do something and paying someone else huge sums for something that was already being done.

Then compound that (metaphorically but more significantly numerically) over a lifetime * population, rather than a few years.

I swear groups like the ASI invent this stuff just hoping that a moron like IDS stumbles into position one day and actually considers it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

What a prat. Workers covering their own sickness, with what income? Does he realise most people are still in crap jobs, on crap wages with poor security? This would be purely ideological. IMO the pittance the genuinely unemployed get is national disgrace. I have conservative values but I believe in a basic safety net with dignity paid for from our collective NI contributions. That is society for me and a contract I am happy with. The welfare system is still a prop to landlords and low paying employers, a point IDS either doesn't grasp or is willingly ignoring.

HOLA443

What a prat. Workers covering their own sickness, with what income? Does he realise most people are still in crap jobs, on crap wages with poor security? This would be purely ideological. IMO the pittance the genuinely unemployed get is national disgrace. I have conservative values but I believe in a basic safety net with dignity paid for from our collective NI contributions. That is society for me and a contract I am happy with. The welfare system is still a prop to landlords and low paying employers, a point IDS either doesn't grasp or is willingly ignoring.

I think there a lot of cross spectrum support for the basic Bevan welfare model. I don't think there's a lot to be gained from abandoning it. Sure manage it and evolve it. But don't abandon it.

HOLA444

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2002/12_december/19/newsnight_ids_cv.shtml

Iain Duncan Smith's biography on the Conservative Party website, his entry in Who's Who, and various other places, state that he went to the Universita di Perugia in Italy.

This is not true: his office now admit that he went to the Universita per Stranieri, which is also in Perugia.

Mr Duncan Smith's office has now admitted to Newsnight that he didn't get any qualifications in Perugia or even finish his exams.

The first line of Iain Duncan Smith's biography, on the Conservative Party website, claims he was "educated at Dunchurch College of Management".

In fact, Dunchurch was the former staff college for GEC Marconi, for whom he worked in the 1980s.

Mr Duncan Smith's office has now confirmed to Newsnight that he did not get any qualifications there either, but that he completed six separate courses lasting a few days each, adding up to about a month in total. John Garside, a former Dunchurch tutor, says: "I'm puzzled, flattered, but puzzled. What we did was offer short courses... it was not a continuous form of education by any means."