House Price Crash Forum

Labour Pledges Stamp Duty Help For First-Time Buyers

cool_hand

HOLA441
HOLA442

I can't understand what he is mumbling in that video - no wonder they used so much can laughter. Reminds me of the far better 'Debt Bomb' video that Dominic Frisby did.

At the end of the Brown one (2009), he says "because that's the right thing to do."

Ha that 'Debt Bomb' one is pretty good; but the Gov debt piles up further.

HOLA443
HOLA444

At the end of the Brown one (2009), he says "because that's the right thing to do."

Ha that 'Debt Bomb' one is pretty good; but the Gov debt piles up further.

ahahaha. I remember Browns constant 'doing the right thing because its the right thing to do' soundbites...as if that explains anything.

Not that any of the shits on the BBC ever took him to task on talking such ********.

HOLA445

ahahaha. I remember Browns constant 'doing the right thing because its the right thing to do' soundbites...as if that explains anything.

Not that any of the shits on the BBC ever took him to task on talking such ********.

Yes; - soundbites with little substance, and not challenged... right thing to do, for the gain of certain vested interests. Miliband repeating it now, "right thing to do". (Oh they've switched that 21 sec iPlayer vid of Miliband with his "Right thing to do" for the full main speech video).

I'm wondering how Conservatives are going to respond to this - the Labour 200,000 house building plan, the oh-so-generous stamp-duty freedom for FTBs upto £300,000 and, appealing even to me for my vote, suggesting more red tape on landlordism.

Miliband: "It is simply too expensive for so many young people to buy a home today. Saving up for the deposit, paying the fees, and having enough left over for stamp duty." - and the rest... having a life, positioning for interest rates going up, employment insecurities... wanting money to raise a family, and some to save.

Conservatives already did their HTB policy, and recently waving Right To Buy again - but seem a bit quiet on the housing front at the moment, with housing policy statements towards younger people / renters. I wonder if Carney is briefing them (hpc). I'm probably projecting.

Edited by Venger

HOLA446

Betting markets pricing in a 60% probability of Miliband next PM. Am I calculating that right?

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/prime-minister-after-general-election

The historic view is interesting too:

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/prime-minister-after-general-election/bet-history/ed-miliband/today

Click on 'All history' and scroll down to the bottom of the page - there is graph of historic odds for various bookies of a Miliband PM. Odds started improving dramatically at the very end of March.

HOLA447

The election watch word for Labour is 'avoiding unnecessary public sector cuts'.

Saw the word reported in EdM speech.

Just seen it again on the my Labour candidate flyer.

So, there you have it. The choice in a few weeks time is between:

necessary cuts

and avoiding unnecessary cuts.

Labour are going to implode if they get in.

Edited by spyguy

HOLA448
HOLA449

No matter which party is in power (or aspiring to it) they always come up with pathetic 'chicken feed' solutions.

if Milliband was a surgeon, he'd give you half a junior aspirin as pain relief after just having amputated your leg

Exactly. None of them will say that with open doors immigration we will need to sacrifice most planning laws and just open the floodgates to building. You would then see free markets delivering lots of housing. The politicians keep trying to pretend we can build more houses and enough new houses whilst still having strict planning laws in place.

HOLA4410

Exactly. None of them will say that with open doors immigration we will need to sacrifice most planning laws and just open the floodgates to building. You would then see free markets delivering lots of housing. The politicians keep trying to pretend we can build more houses and enough new houses whilst still having strict planning laws in place.

Land markets aren't free, planning or not, because 'Keep out' is an order, not an invitation to treat.

HOLA4411

If you have not listened to this it is a good chuckle listening to all the owners and btlers whinge about Labour's plans.

Radio 5 Phone-in on Labour's property plans:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05s0vq0

That woman about 20 minutes in was fuming about being called greedy by the first caller, an estate agent who said sellers demanded the highest valuations. Hilarious, she was banging on about how hard she'd worked for her highly priced house and how poor landlords were being picked on, and if she could afford it she'd have a BTL too.

That's what we're up against.

Henry Pryor did a reasonable job of pointing out it's the availability of credit that actually sets the prices, and that any of these government subsidies just bump up the price. Nicky Campbell feigned misunderstanding of this to get Pryor to explain it twice for the hard of thinking.

I've got about 10 mins left to listen but I don't think they had an outright HPC'er on, Pryor was about the closest. Mostly a load of dim landlords and frustrated tenants, rather Down The Line.