House Price Crash Forum

1, 2 & 3 Year Rental Tenancies Available

HOLA441

http://www.getlivinglondon.com/how-we-do.aspx

Saw this advertisd on London television the other day and it's the only one I've seen so far actively courting these longer tenancies . I'm wondering why the change of policy? Pressure groups or they just can't fill them on shorter AST's?

HOLA442
HOLA443

RENT INCREASE

We will increase the rentevery year on the anniversary of the tenancy start date in line with any increase in the

Consumer Prices Index (CPI) over the last complete period of 12 months for which CPI figures have beenpublished

at least tenworkingdays before that anniversary

Er,,,no

HOLA444

It's fair enough. If you know this term in advance, you can price it into the negotiation. Uncertainty is minimal. The problem arises if the first year is up and then the landlord whacks a huge increase on and then you have to choose between that and paying the cost of moving. This agreement prevents that kind of hold-up behaviour. Plus CPI is near zero at the moment anyway.

HOLA445

My brother rents in Balham Zone 3 , London. Has just signed up for his 4th year in same 1 bed appt.

No change in rent since day 1.

Similar flats in the block are advertised at the same price.

All this nonsense about LL's raising rents is guff. Pure guff.

HOLA446

My brother rents in Balham Zone 3 , London. Has just signed up for his 4th year in same 1 bed appt.

No change in rent since day 1.

Similar flats in the block are advertised at the same price.

All this nonsense about LL's raising rents is guff. Pure guff.

Similar here; I've been in the same place in Zone 2 for almost 10 years now. Rent's never gone up, and the LL is great. Comparable markets rents in the area are noticeably (not hugely, but noticeably) higher.

I'm sure the raising-rent thing happens - I have colleagues who've been hit by it repeatedly - but it's not universal.

HOLA447

It's happened to me in every place where I stayed over a year. Can't stop some people being greedy except by throwing the place back on the market. It depends on the LL. Also, in every one of those places, I'd negotiated the rent down at the beginning, so they may have felt like they weren't getting a good deal to begin with. Whether that feeling was justified is a different matter.

HOLA448
HOLA449

It's happened to me in every place where I stayed over a year. Can't stop some people being greedy except by throwing the place back on the market. It depends on the LL. Also, in every one of those places, I'd negotiated the rent down at the beginning, so they may have felt like they weren't getting a good deal to begin with. Whether that feeling was justified is a different matter.

Typical LL trying it on. I rented a good few years ago. Every year at renewal time, I'd say yes to the renewal subject to the rent being agreed for the following 12 months. Always left the threat of not signing if the rent went up. That's the joy of renting....you can leave with X weeks notice and not feel bad about it. It works both ways , you know ;)

HOLA4410

It's fair enough. If you know this term in advance, you can price it into the negotiation. Uncertainty is minimal. The problem arises if the first year is up and then the landlord whacks a huge increase on and then you have to choose between that and paying the cost of moving. This agreement prevents that kind of hold-up behaviour. Plus CPI is near zero at the moment anyway.

Housing costs are not in the CPI.

This EA states there are no fees for renewal, then proudly announces a CPI increase every year...

There is no provision to adjust price by CPI...only to increase it by CPI.

Still, as you say, people dont have to sign it...Nor need they pay fees annually anyway.

HOLA4411
RENT INCREASE
We will increase the rentevery year on the anniversary of the tenancy start date in line with any increase in the
Consumer Prices Index (CPI) over the last complete period of 12 months for which CPI figures have beenpublished
at least tenworkingdays before that anniversary
Er,,,no

That clause is in my contract too. I just tell my landlord each year that if they enforce it I'll move, and back it up with evidence of rent levels on the many similar properties nearby. I haven't had an increase in three years now.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

And yet my colleague has just been hit with a 12% rent rise and is now looking for something like his third rental in two years.

One of the problems with the PRS is how inconsistent it is. You get some landlords who are fine and some who are nightmares. As they are all tiny mom and pop operations they have no reputation to guide prospective tenants.