House Price Crash Forum

Printer Any Suggestions?

winkie

HOLA441

One advantage of lasers, which are much more affordable than in days of yore, is that they can sit around unused for a few weeks or months without the ****ing ink ****ing drying up, forcing you the spank a small ****ing fortune in ****ing ink in a vain attempt to clean the ****ing nozzles.

No doubt quantum leaps in technology have been made since I last subjected myself to the Ink Jet Experience and that may never happen now, ever, but lasers are boringly reliable so I haven't had much cause to look.

Took my second and last Canon inkjet to the service centre a few months back and got a quote for repair (new head required apparently) - told them to dispose of it. A case of they'd fooled me twice, shame on me.

My HP laserjet 3200 from 2000 is still chugging away whenever it is required (rarely, as other posters point out, I think I'm on my 3rd or 4th toner cartridge!)

Local print shop is great for quality prints, but they also try to catch you out with very reasonable 4x6 prices but horrendous 5x7 prices - almost double, no idea why.

HOLA442

or an entry level laser which potentially can sit there for months or years without gumming up. You can buy one for £45-50. Even with a 500 page 'starter' cartridge that works out at 10p a (occasional) sheet, and you won't run the risk of having to chuck a half full toner cartridge away because you've been scammed with designed to fail, Landfill-Ready, tech.

Interesting to read in that article above that Epson acknowledges that the ink jet gold rush may be drawing to an end.

Wise words regarding laser vs. inkjet.

Had three inkjets in the office. One was hardly used, so the ink was always drying out. The other was a pain in the ass for a whole host of reasons. The final was A3, and I still have that. Quite cost effective for mech drawings, electronic pcb printouts etc.

Rest of stuff is now on laser. The £50 quid black and white hardly ever gets used, but works whenever required, no ink drying out. You wouldn't want it to do masses of printing though because the carts are relatively expensive. Its only had two carts since new though.

Colour laser is on its third set of carts. These look expensive (couple of hundred quid) cf. inkjet carts, but last for ages. Don't be fooled by the cheaper price of inkjet carts, they build up.

Final thing I would say is that both lasers are Hp. I think HP makes good lasers, maybe less so for inkjets, although the A3 inkjet has held up fairly well.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Alternatively, the Brother HL-1110. I used an earlier version and was happy with it. A quick glance indicates the 3rd party cartridge market may be more competitive than the Samsung.

Another vote for the Brother HL1110

I had the previous version, an excellent printer and I think in 3-4 years or use I had to purchase a single cartridge, which was cheaper than a set of ink for most inkjet.

....Sorted... :)

HOLA445

That is what I have/had at the moment but it stopped printing, printer head went, wasn't that old.... the one before did the same thing, must be a common fault with them or that model.....so gone off canon, and to make it worse it was full of ink. ;)

Quick update....found this helpful clip, it worked....now got two working colour printers and one new laser printer... talk about three buses all arriving together.

Archived