House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

winkie

Printer Any Suggestions?

Looking to buy a new printer for PC, required for general use, but most importantly something that is economical with ink refills.

What type, make or model would be suitable, any ideas...cheers.:-)

Stay away from anything HP. Their carts are chipped to make refilling as hard as possible. My experience suggest that they also have a date code so even if you manage to refill, the cart has a limited lifespan.

I'm currently using an Epson all-in-one which takes 4 separate colour carts. Aftermarket workalikes can be had on Amazon for about £1 each delivered. I no longer bother refilling!

Brother are pretty good for ink cart prices / refillability too.

Looking to buy a new printer for PC, required for general use, but most importantly something that is economical with ink refills.

What type, make or model would be suitable, any ideas...cheers.:-)

It's been done to death on previous threads but for economy and ease of maintenance lasers work best for me. (I have no requirement for colour printing from a home printer* and use an on-line provider to run off photos).

I settled on Samsung as a brand some time ago. That's worked out well so far.

Edit: * OK I do, the occasional photo would be nice, but not at the expense and PIA I've learned to associate with ink printers

Stay away from anything HP. Their carts are chipped to make refilling as hard as possible. My experience suggest that they also have a date code so even if you manage to refill, the cart has a limited lifespan.

I'm currently using an Epson all-in-one which takes 4 separate colour carts. Aftermarket workalikes can be had on Amazon for about £1 each delivered. I no longer bother refilling!

Brother are pretty good for ink cart prices / refillability too.

HP a no no then....was looking at Epson, and like the idea that you can buy colours separately...it is good to know you can get a generic ink that is compatible for less, worth thinking about...thanks.

It's been done to death on previous threads but for economy and ease of maintenance lasers work best for me. (I have no requirement for colour printing from a home printer* and use an on-line provider to run off photos).

I settled on Samsung as a brand some time ago. That's worked out well so far.

Edit: * OK I do, the occasional photo would be nice, but not at the expense and PIA I've learned to associate with ink printers

I do remember a thread a while ago, but as things change and progress so quickly, I thought I would ask anyway.....did look into a laser but it might do more than what I need it for at the moment.

One piece of advice.

Buy all the ink you ever expect to need when you first buy your printer.

It is a deliberate policy of these guys to bring out new models all the time. Initially the ink is cheap so they look good on the cost per page stats. Then when they bring out new models the ink becomes horribly expensive. Gold dust.

That is good advice, will stock buy at the best price while still at a decent price.....won't get caught again. ;)

Canon! With separate colours of ink! I don't print much because I have the internet! But you can get refills for about a tenner!

Canon! With separate colours of ink! I don't print much because I have the internet! But you can get refills for about a tenner!

That is what I have/had at the moment but it stopped printing, printer head went, wasn't that old.... the one before did the same thing, must be a common fault with them or that model.....so gone off canon, and to make it worse it was full of ink. ;)

I do remember a thread a while ago, but as things change and progress so quickly, I thought I would ask anyway.....did look into a laser but it might do more than what I need it for at the moment

One advantage of lasers, which are much more affordable than in days of yore, is that they can sit around unused for a few weeks or months without the ****ing ink ****ing drying up, forcing you the spank a small ****ing fortune in ****ing ink in a vain attempt to clean the ****ing nozzles.

No doubt quantum leaps in technology have been made since I last subjected myself to the Ink Jet Experience and that may never happen now, ever, but lasers are boringly reliable so I haven't had much cause to look.

One advantage of lasers, which are much more affordable than in days of yore, is that they can sit around unused for a few weeks or months without the ****ing ink ****ing drying up, forcing you the spank a small ****ing fortune in ****ing ink in a vain attempt to clean the ****ing nozzles.

No doubt quantum leaps in technology have been made since I last subjected myself to the Ink Jet Experience and that may never happen now, ever, but lasers are boringly reliable so I haven't had much cause to look.

Can you name one as an example so that I can investigate further. :)

Can you name one as an example so that I can investigate further. :)

You could do worse than starting by looking at the Samsung M2022

Epson use a funny system that needs to recharge.

This wastes ink horribly if you do a couple of pages, turn off for a week, turn on again and so on.

I avoid HP as they had a period where their wireless capability and fax would go to sleep. this meant you had to turn it off and back on to regain connectivity...not so good for a fax machine you leave on to receive faxes...I would hope they fixed this by now, but they hadnt for the model I bought and they replaced twice with new firmware and subsequently rejected, and the new different model was the same...sent it back too.

Went to Kodak then, but they had problems with their cartridge carriers, which I think they have also fixed.

Currently have the Kodak still for colour and a cheap kyocera laser for everyday.

Alternatively, the Brother HL-1110. I used an earlier version and was happy with it. A quick glance indicates the 3rd party cartridge market may be more competitive than the Samsung.

Alternatively, the Brother HL-1110. I used an earlier version and was happy with it. A quick glance indicates the 3rd party cartridge market may be more competitive than the Samsung.

Indeed, I have Brother HL-1440 here that I bought about 12 years ago for about £200. I print so little here at home that I bought what was then a cheap laser for home rather than have to go and buy a new ink cartridge for an inkjet ever time I need to print a couple of pages. The Brpther has had one refill at Cartridge World for about £17 since I bought it. Must be nearly due another top up by now. :) Despite it's age it is perfectly happy hooked up to w W7 box with a USB cable. When i bought it USB was an interesting idea that might become usable in the real world at some point in the near future.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2778082/End-ink-cartridge-Epson-unveils-printer-refillable-TANK-print-6-500-pages-needs-refilling.html

1412287943633_wps_21_PRINTER_GRAPH_jpg.j

Canon for photos...Epson for ink...a set of five Canon inks can easily be fifty quid....each time you change a Epson cartridge, you don't change the head (as the ink comes out cold, rather than warm or hot, like the others), so the ink is often, at least a fiver cheaper than anyone else...As soon as you use 3rd party ink, you void the warranty..although if save more than the printer is worth, then it could be worthwhile...

I've got a Brother laser...2500 yield cartridge off ebaygum for 13 quid..

I've had a Brother HL-5340D for 3 or so years now. It does automatic double sided ("duplex") printing for documents that go over multiple pages. Although one cartridge is more costly than an ink cartridge it lasts much longer so really is cheaper.

Never buy any printer from PC World/Argos or any outlet aimed at the Joe Public consumer buy ex-business gear cheap off ebsy.

The best black and white printer for cost per copy, speed and reliability is the HP Laserjet 4200/4300/4250/4350. Have literally hundreds of them at work plus back-ups in storage so if one went down on a mail order packing workstation it can be immediately swapped out but they just gather dust because they never go down. Non-HP compatible toner is about £30 and generates around 25,000 copies needs a maintenance kit that costs about £50 every 5-6 cartridge changes.

Years ago I spent ages weighing up all the options before going with that model and lose count of the number of places I visit that need to churn out masses of customer orders that have the exact same model and must have arrived at the same conclusion - the model became obsolete a few years back but I would say it's still the virtual standard for high volume mono printing.

A contrarian suggestion. Don't bother buying a printer at all. Despite working in publishing, I have printed no more than half a dozen pages in the last two years. I usually only print because some faceless corporation has decided they will only communicate by post. On the rare occasion I do need to print something I go to my local library, and they'll do it for 10p a sheet.

I never print anything to read anymore. Most of the time I use my laptop or occasionally a tablet or phone. Annotation can be easily done on screen nowadays too. If I need to sketch a concept, I do it on my note pad, take a photo with my phone and email it to the relevant person.

I was semi-forced to go print-free because when my company allowed me to work from home, they said there wasn't any money in the kitty to pay for a printer. I then figured I'd see if I could do without one.

Stuff for flights is probably the most common Joe Public actual printing need but even that some will scan off ipad. Printing maps off used to be a common one for me but haven't done so post-ipad. In fact it seems rather surprising printer and cut paper manufacturers are still in business.

I do tend to print off enormous workshop or technical manuals quite often though.

A contrarian suggestion. Don't bother buying a printer at all. Despite working in publishing, I have printed no more than half a dozen pages in the last two years. I usually only print because some faceless corporation has decided they will only communicate by post. On the rare occasion I do need to print something I go to my local library, and they'll do it for 10p a sheet.

I don't print either. I can print at my local print shop if I had to. I had an Epson and the head clogged because I didn't print much, maybe a couple of pages a month. So if you are a low usage person a printer where you change the head with the cartridge is a good idea. The Epsons really need to be used regularly, like a small office environment.

I don't print either. I can print at my local print shop if I had to. I had an Epson and the head clogged because I didn't print much, maybe a couple of pages a month. So if you are a low usage person a printer where you change the head with the cartridge is a good idea...

or an entry level laser which potentially can sit there for months or years without gumming up. You can buy one for £45-50. Even with a 500 page 'starter' cartridge that works out at 10p a (occasional) sheet, and you won't run the risk of having to chuck a half full toner cartridge away because you've been scammed with designed to fail, Landfill-Ready, tech.

Interesting to read in that article above that Epson acknowledges that the ink jet gold rush may be drawing to an end.

Printing all seems a bit expensive and decadent for HPC, surely a pantograph and a free pen, that came through the post, from a charity is the only way forward.

Printing all seems a bit expensive and decadent for HPC, surely a pantograph and a free pen, that came through the post, from a charity is the only way forward.

Alternatively, why not try running your home office inkjet with any spare Tassimo capsules you have lying around.

I have a 2240. Served me well for moderate use, I refill with 3rd-party ink and occasionally have to re-chip the cartridges. Eventually the drum will deteriorate and it will be cheaper to replace the printer. Refilling is a bit messy but less so with practive.

I used to sell Anadex printers in the late 1970's. They were over £400 and utterly prehistoric. And anyone remember daisy wheels?