House Price Crash Forum

I'm Sick Of Junk Calls

corevalue

HOLA441

One place that can leak your phone number and address is EBAY

Listing a valid phone number on EBAY is mandatory, they wont let you delete it, but you can add a second/third one, if you list a fake number they may close your account.

In theory they only release it to traders that you have purchased from, but it comes down to how far do you trust the average ebay trader?

http://payments.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?UserAddresses

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Started getting 3-4 calls a day, nearly all from "energy" companies, and the blighters have even started knocking on the door now. This in spite of being registered with the useless TIPS. When does this become harassment - why should I be expected to put down what I'm doing to answer unsolicited sales calls? Why don't TPTB crack down on the obviously fraudulent ones (UK accident investigation) - the forward fee scam artists?

OK, feeling better now. Rant over.#

I'm sure it's been mentioned but i'll say it anyway.

sign up on the telephone preference service. I was getting calls everyday but this soon stopped that!

HOLA443

Since changing my landline phone to one with a built-in answer phone, then cancelling the BT 1571 service, I am now getting lots of automated telemarketing calls ("press 5 for more info" etc.) left on the answer machine, they never seemed to get through on the 1571 answerphone, any ideas why this is?

My assumption would be that the automated calling software can recognise 1571 and hangs up, but when it hears your voice it assumes you have answered and are listening so it simply speaks over the recording. If the messages seem to be missing the first ten seconds or so, this would support that theory.

HOLA444

I'm similar. I've never liked taking calls on the homephone because, as has been said, it's like somebody stood in the corner shouting at you until you stop whatever you're doing and talk to them and it can be anybody.

I'm moving soon so need to do all the set-ups and, whilst I don't want to go the tethering route, if I can get a discount for not having an actual phone line and just a broadband line then I would. That probably means cable TV though, so that's a "no".

I have cable broadband (Virgin) with no landline or cable TV as I don't own a TV.

Not having the landline only saves about a quid a month. Probably worth it if your mobile provider charges for 0800 calls. If the landline is only for dialing out, easy enough to leave it unplugged until needed.

Archived