House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corevalue

I'm Sick Of Junk Calls

Started getting 3-4 calls a day, nearly all from "energy" companies, and the blighters have even started knocking on the door now. This in spite of being registered with the useless TIPS. When does this become harassment - why should I be expected to put down what I'm doing to answer unsolicited sales calls? Why don't TPTB crack down on the obviously fraudulent ones (UK accident investigation) - the forward fee scam artists?

OK, feeling better now. Rant over.

Buy a phone with an answer machine, so you can let them leave a message. If it is someone you know, you can pick up the phone straight away.

You can get one for about £20.

The technology to block unwanted calls would be easy to implement, we already have caller ID, but BT have no incentive to bother as long as they still get to charge for every call.

I wonder if BT would pay more attention if someone could get together enough supporters to all agree to just unplug their phones (and answering machines) for 24 hours in protest at all the junk calls.

The bottom line is the telephone companies get money out of this practice, as does the Post Office, for posting unwanted recycling shit through my door! :blink:

I keep getting messages on 1571 that seem to start half way through. Trying to flag me solar panels and that I may qualify for them if if I'm claiming benefits.

Shame it's a rented property. :P

At my work British Gas ring every day, and have done for the last month, to chase for an invoice of £0.00*. They have my direct line (as I set up the account) and insist, yes absolutely insist, to go through a security check (address post code etc). It's a Indian call centre, and is silent at the start, so hanging up doesn't stop them as they just try again later.

I've spoken to them about 10times politely, rang them from my side, even sent a letter - but they still ring. I ask them to read the notes, which state the problem, and when they do they can see it is resolved. They politely say I will get no more phone calls... but the next day... guess what.

Now, that does irritate you!

*The account is for a unit where the gas is turned off. It's on a fixed price contract which is zero standing charge, and a high kwh charge (of course we don't use any gas).

My other gripe is spam text messages.. can't block them, can't reply, and it's from legit companies who you've used their service or enquired their services!

My other gripe is spam text messages.. can't block them, can't reply, and it's from legit companies who you've used their service or enquired their services!

Amazon usually! Straight into the spam bin! :blink:

If it's a mobile, use Mr Number.

You can set it up to automatically hang up on selected numbers so they can't even leave you voicemail.

I have used this to stop PPI calls.

If it's a mobile, use Mr Number.

You can set it up to automatically hang up on selected numbers so they can't even leave you voicemail.

I have used this to stop PPI calls.

Done.

I'm getting multiple daily calls on my mobile by 01934 423085 that Google tells me us trying to sell me a will. It's legitimate they know I have no will power the bastards.

The worst are some debt collectors, or banks.

I got a new BT line installed with a new number, but obviously the number had been recycled and was previously used by some deadbeat.

I used to get automated calls from a bank (they just said "a bank"). You'd answer and a recorded message would say "This is an important call for Mr Joe Bloggs. If you are Mr Bloggs, Press 1. If you are not Mr Bloggs Press 2".

Essentially, if you chose 1 it went to a security screening - enter your date of birth, enter your phone PIN. If you typed in random stuff, it would just say, "sorry, we could not verify your identity. We will call back later". If you chose 2, it said "Please can you fetch Mr Joe Bloggs now. If Mr Bloggs is available, press 1. If Mr Bloggs is not current;y available, press 2". If you press 1, it then goes to the verification questions. If you press 2, "We will call back later."

I got so many calls, I ended up investing in new phone with caller display. If I chose to answer the calls, I'd get maybe 10 a day. If I didn't answer them, I'd get 30 or 40 a day.

BT refused to do anything, but did suggest I bought their "choose to refuse" service, which allowed me to block numbers. Sure enough, the next time the bank rang, I typed in the "refuse" code, and that number was blocked. 20 minutes later the phone rang again with a new number, but the same message. That one got blocked. Then a new number popped up. This went on, for about 20 numbers at which point, the "refuse" service was full and couldn't block any more numbers.

Again, got on to BT. They refused to help, but suggested I could pay to have a new phone number, so I got a new number.

I did some sleuthing on google, and eventually traced the number to Natwest. I had kept a log of calls, so complained to them and sent them an invoice for £150 for a new number + my time. They paid and sent me a case of wine.

The worst are some debt collectors, or banks.

I got a new BT line installed with a new number, but obviously the number had been recycled and was previously used by some deadbeat.

I used to get automated calls from a bank (they just said "a bank"). You'd answer and a recorded message would say "This is an important call for Mr Joe Bloggs. If you are Mr Bloggs, Press 1. If you are not Mr Bloggs Press 2".

Essentially, if you chose 1 it went to a security screening - enter your date of birth, enter your phone PIN. If you typed in random stuff, it would just say, "sorry, we could not verify your identity. We will call back later". If you chose 2, it said "Please can you fetch Mr Joe Bloggs now. If Mr Bloggs is available, press 1. If Mr Bloggs is not current;y available, press 2". If you press 1, it then goes to the verification questions. If you press 2, "We will call back later."

I got so many calls, I ended up investing in new phone with caller display. If I chose to answer the calls, I'd get maybe 10 a day. If I didn't answer them, I'd get 30 or 40 a day.

BT refused to do anything, but did suggest I bought their "choose to refuse" service, which allowed me to block numbers. Sure enough, the next time the bank rang, I typed in the "refuse" code, and that number was blocked. 20 minutes later the phone rang again with a new number, but the same message. That one got blocked. Then a new number popped up. This went on, for about 20 numbers at which point, the "refuse" service was full and couldn't block any more numbers.

Again, got on to BT. They refused to help, but suggested I could pay to have a new phone number, so I got a new number.

I did some sleuthing on google, and eventually traced the number to Natwest. I had kept a log of calls, so complained to them and sent them an invoice for £150 for a new number + my time. They paid and sent me a case of wine.

Well done CRex!

I have in mind that the next "energy" caller will be met with "Watt do you want to speak with him about, or is it Joules?"

Well done CRex!

I have in mind that the next "energy" caller will be met with "Watt do you want to speak with him about, or is it Joules?"

Tell them you already have the parts and what would they charge for the fitting and FITS sign off.

They will be off the ******ing phone like a shot.

I've given up answering to any 08** or withheld number. Does wonders for who I have to listen to, but doesn't help when the 'phone rings and I'm nowhere near it. :angry:

However, dispensing with BT's service and switching to a VOIP service through sipgate seems to have reduced the junk calls to a trickle: less than one a week. Alas, the mobile still gets the buggers.

This all stopped when we got rid of our landline. Prior to that the only calls we used to get were nuisance calls. Everyone I know has my mobile number. And we don't need a landline anyway as the home broadband is 4G. Junk callers don't like ringing mobiles.

A "hard-core" option is not to ever give anyone your landline number and just unplug the thing. If you want to use it then plug it in for the duration of the call then unplug it again.

There is something called "TruCall" (IIRC) which you plug in between the phone and the socket and acts as a "PA" so if it knows the caller it allows it through and if not then it asks who they are and then tells you, asks if you'd like to speak to them and if not, tells them not to call again.

I tend to assume that if I give a landline number to one company then I have given it to the world.

We do have a VOIP service which has a landline number - two actually, one is never used, and so if I'm forced to hand out a landline number that's the one I give out. Nobody can call me on it.

I started telling them there was a fee to continue the call. One girl (Suspected blond) say yes and then was confused when I asked for the billing address.

Got a new number and this one has automated green calls.

The phone system needs a kick up the pants. Why should we screen our calls? Why should people be allowed to ring us randomly?

I did have some welsh bint from the call centre that's been on telly so I asked her if they really made them dance and she said yes. :)

There is something called "TruCall" (IIRC) which you plug in between the phone and the socket and acts as a "PA" so if it knows the caller it allows it through and if not then it asks who they are and then tells you, asks if you'd like to speak to them and if not, tells them not to call again.

Problem with that sort of system which has already be alluded to is that they can just change their numbers. I work on various websites where we use tracking numbers. There are literally millions of numbers available for a small charge each, we provision them by the 10's of thousands at a time.

Each time you get a call it will be from a different number.

Long gone are the days where a phone number was a physical link to a single phone. We have multiple numbers pointing to multiple numbers, in two seconds I can divert calls from one place to another. There is a pool of numbers, I can dip in and out on a whim. I'm sure most of these companies are well versed in this and change numbers on a very regular basis. These won't be advertised line numbers, just ghost numbers if they point to Company X on one day and then Company Y another it makes no difference to them.

Telephone

Mail

Royal Mail Leaflets

Try these links.

Tps is about as useful as a really useless thing made my useless.com in uselesston, uselesshire and made out of solid uselessinium.

I started telling them there was a fee to continue the call. One girl (Suspected blond) say yes and then was confused when I asked for the billing address.

Got a new number and this one has automated green calls.

The phone system needs a kick up the pants. Why should we screen our calls? Why should people be allowed to ring us randomly?

I did have some welsh bint from the call centre that's been on telly so I asked her if they really made them dance and she said yes. :)

Campaign for something like this:

Dealing with Text and Phone Spammers

The good news: two text spammers to be fined. Probably wholly inadequate, but better than nothing, especially in terms of sending a message.

The bad news: this is such a rare event as to be newsworthy!

I’ve long wanted to propose a better system. Give me a single button I can press on my phone to flag an incoming call or message as spam. If I hit the button then the caller is charged for it: say, £1 per call. To be operated by the telcos, in much the same way as their regular call charges. A truly effective way for spam victims to convey our response to the spammers, as the £1s mount up. Or if the spammers are right and most people don’t mind, then they’ve nothing to worry about.

Of course we need some basic safeguards against malicious (or accidental) use of the £1 button. A threshold to pass before any charges are incurred. And there should be no perverse incentives: I don’t get the money, neither do the telcos (though they might take a small administrative charge, to be determined by the regulator). Any proceeds go to charity (not that there’ll be any: it’s a deterrent)!

It’ll also need some minor barriers to technological workaround: a cost to getting millions of phone numbers and keeping the number of spam messages per number below the threshold, including setting up a telco specifically to create such numbers.

Given that it’s the party conference season, who will offer us an effective protection against these spammers?

Problem with that sort of system which has already be alluded to is that they can just change their numbers. I work on various websites where we use tracking numbers. There are literally millions of numbers available for a small charge each, we provision them by the 10's of thousands at a time.

Each time you get a call it will be from a different number.

Long gone are the days where a phone number was a physical link to a single phone. We have multiple numbers pointing to multiple numbers, in two seconds I can divert calls from one place to another. There is a pool of numbers, I can dip in and out on a whim. I'm sure most of these companies are well versed in this and change numbers on a very regular basis. These won't be advertised line numbers, just ghost numbers if they point to Company X on one day and then Company Y another it makes no difference to them.

Each time the number changes the system will ask who they are.

There is actually a simpler option - some handsets have a thing called "Quiet Mode", notably, I think, some Panasonics - if I sound vague it's because this used to irritate me so I looked into it, but that was years back.

Program the numbers of the people you want to hear from into it, then put it in "Quiet Mode".

If one of those rings, the handset rings.

If anyone else rings, including from a withheld number, it does not. At your end. The caller thinks it's ringing. You can optionally have it take a voice mail.

My old mobile - Sony Ericsson T610 (?) had exactly those features - put people in groups, and then tick or un-tick the groups who could call e.g. at 5pm on Friday night, select the group called "Work" and un-tick it.

Get the same dodgy spam quite often - "government boiler scrappage scheme". Crooks anyway so no point in reporting them. At least without a mobile I'm spared text message spam, and junk emails don't seem to be anywhere near as common as they once were (hardly ever get one at all these days, although whether that's because I simply don't get them or my ISP is removing them I've no idea). Come to think of it I've had hardly any rubbish shoved through the letterbox recently.

As above - I always give out my mobile number, simply because it costs more to phone/text. However, I'm also noticing that this is beginning to break down, I assume because of lowering costs..

TPS can work a bit, the problem is with recycled numbers. We still get regular calls for the previous user of the number. Indeed, we rarely pick up the landline nowadays.