House Price Crash Forum

100 Miles Of Sheffield Roads Will Not Be Gritted

HOLA441

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/100-miles-of-sheffield-roads-will-not-be-gritted-1-6646811

More than 100 miles of Sheffield roads will no longer be gritted before snow as part of council plans to save £100,000 a year.

The proposal would reduce the number of precautionary gritting routes from 720 miles to 610 by cutting the number of ‘priority two’ routes – or roads linking communities to the main highways.

Sheffield Council has launched a consultation on the plans today and says they are needed to meet Government funding cuts of 50 per cent by 2015.

Around 50 per cent of Sheffield’s road network will be gritted as a precaution if the plans go ahead, compared to the 59 per cent treated now.

The areas expected to be most affected are rural communities in the west of Sheffield and those with the smallest populations.

Austerity at it's finest. Still no council bosses have had their wages cut, so result on that one.

HOLA442

This is a good thing, more councils should do the same. Every year we throw tonnes of salt (and surprisingly, sugar) onto the roads so that people can ignore the conditions and drive "just like they do in the summer". When someone piles off the road, it is somehow the council's fault for not gritting the road, rather than the driver's for going to fast in cold conditions.

However, I agree, council wages should be cut for the management teams. And they should turn off streetlights.

HOLA443

When I worked for the council, which employed over 2000 people, I could have walked through all the offices and got rid of 1 in every 5 or so people, and it would not have made an impact, why can't they see how inefficient they are.

There are league tables to identify which councils are best, by the council tax rate, by their online presence, my the number of people they employ etc, the more forward thinking and inclusive councils are way ahead of the game, Chief Execs and management have to become more accountable, most of them are wholly incompetent.

HOLA444

This is a good thing, more councils should do the same. Every year we throw tonnes of salt (and surprisingly, sugar) onto the roads so that people can ignore the conditions and drive "just like they do in the summer". When someone piles off the road, it is somehow the council's fault for not gritting the road, rather than the driver's for going to fast in cold conditions.

However, I agree, council wages should be cut for the management teams. And they should turn off streetlights.

That's cold comfort for whoever gets struck by a wildly out of control car due to lack of grit.

I find it hard to believe they can't find £100,000 to cut from wages across the board.

Edited by hans kammler

HOLA445
HOLA446

That's cold comfort for whoever gets struck by a wildly out of control car due to lack of grit.

I find it hard to believe they can't find £100,000 to cut from wages across the board.

I did a thread on here about emailing my council and asking as a Freedom of Information request, How many people earn £50k or more? There were 279.

New Tory Labour inflated their wages, pensions to follow = council tax pay more, get less and less services as time goes on. Ditto NHS.

HOLA447
HOLA448

One assumes the routes west towards the High Peak and Fox House will be spared

No they'll be the first areas to get crossed off the list. Perfect excuse for all the head honcho's in the council who live there to 'work from home' for days on end at the first sign of the white stuff. In fact I can see people in the council fighting to get their road added to the 'Do Not Grit' list.

HOLA449