House Price Crash Forum

Should I Withdraw Offer?

HOLA441

have had an offer agreed on a house people selling are acting reluctant want to leave it on mkt until they get call for survey, i argued with ea agreement to sell should mean taking it off the mkt straight away, they were playing my best friend routine and agreed with me, reassuring me that as soon as they got the agreement in principal they would ring the seller and change their mind. I asked the agent on phone if there were any upcoming viewing and they said no. Anyway went to EA to hand in my AIP, whilst they were photocopying my docs i could see there viewings book in front of me and was an appointment to view the house for the same day. I asked EA when they came back why there was an appointment in their diary, the quick thinking estate agent said oh yes that was a lady who had looked before but we cancelled don't worry. Anyway i don't believe that c**p these people would sell there mothers for a quick buck and i have reliable info that there was indeed a viewing on that day (friend who lives nearby saw EA car and another on drive in the morning whilst walking past).

I suspect they are trying to use my offer to tempt this other person to outbid us, always said i wont get into a bidding war, and i concerned that this shows seller is not committed and therefore may try pulling tricks later on.

My question is agreeing to a price should mean suspension of all viewings they have clearly lied to me, this a bad start and before i commit money to survey legal fees etc should i walk away now?

HOLA442
HOLA443

I was involved in several bidding 'wars' last year. After I was outbid, on each occasion I would push te other buyer up without means or intention of buying after my initial offer. Spiteful behavior I suppose, but then in each case I lost the house so could justify it to myself.

All in all I would have cost other buyers over €90k in debt and in each occasion there were only two bidders including myself. As a bidder you can always back out after bidding as there is no commitment at that stage when you are costing the other bidder a lifetime of debt.

I have told people about my biddings before and heard the insults etc. I actually get some fun out of it.

HOLA444

have had an offer agreed on a house people selling are acting reluctant want to leave it on mkt until they get call for survey, i argued with ea agreement to sell should mean taking it off the mkt straight away, they were playing my best friend routine and agreed with me, reassuring me that as soon as they got the agreement in principal they would ring the seller and change their mind. I asked the agent on phone if there were any upcoming viewing and they said no. Anyway went to EA to hand in my AIP, whilst they were photocopying my docs i could see there viewings book in front of me and was an appointment to view the house for the same day. I asked EA when they came back why there was an appointment in their diary, the quick thinking estate agent said oh yes that was a lady who had looked before but we cancelled don't worry. Anyway i don't believe that c**p these people would sell there mothers for a quick buck and i have reliable info that there was indeed a viewing on that day (friend who lives nearby saw EA car and another on drive in the morning whilst walking past).

I suspect they are trying to use my offer to tempt this other person to outbid us, always said i wont get into a bidding war, and i concerned that this shows seller is not committed and therefore may try pulling tricks later on.

My question is agreeing to a price should mean suspension of all viewings they have clearly lied to me, this a bad start and before i commit money to survey legal fees etc should i walk away now?

Hi. I would walk, save your money, such sellers are toxic trouble down the line

- survey costs are a nice tropical winter holiday, send them a postcard.

Luckily, this is not the only house on the market, there will be another.

This is where the HIPS pack (remember those - Seller pays into a survey etc into

one easy package, until it was eviscerated to a thermal walkabout, was actually doing something sensible

weeding out the toxic time wasting flakey sellers - don't let them cost you anymore than your time to date.

HOLA445
HOLA446

i think i will drag them out a bit now, and i might do a bit of spiteful bidding then pull out just to ruin there sale if there is another bidder. Agree that survey cost should be on the seller not the buyer and once SSTC should be a legally binding contract with penalties for pulling out.

I just love how stupid the EA was too leave appointment book in front of me

HOLA447

How do you know they didn't leave that appointment conveniently on display 'accidently' on purpose??? :ph34r:

They are pretty cunning / devious, I certainly wouldn't put it past them to lie to your face or pull stunts like this just so you know how in demand this property is, and how this is a once in lifetime opportunity to get on the ladder, 'they really like you...and would love to sell it to you ...just another 10k should do it' don't miss out...blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhh

Also at the end of the day they are trying to weed out the timewasters and dreamers just as you are, and if most people are serious about really wanting a property they'll leave their offer on the table rather than risk losing out for the sake of a few hundred quid, it sucks but the EA's still percive it as a sellers market, and unfortunately it is round my way at the moment. :(

easy Credit + low supply + high 'demand' (from some people - and it only takes a few) = Bubble

HOLA448

How do you know they didn't leave that appointment conveniently on display 'accidently' on purpose??? :ph34r:

They are pretty cunning / devious, I certainly wouldn't put it past them to lie to your face or pull stunts like this just so you know how in demand this property is, and how this is a once in lifetime opportunity to get on the ladder, 'they really like you...and would love to sell it to you ...just another 10k should do it' don't miss out...blah blah blahhhhhhhhhhh

Also at the end of the day they are trying to weed out the timewasters and dreamers just as you are, and if most people are serious about really wanting a property they'll leave their offer on the table rather than risk losing out for the sake of a few hundred quid, it sucks but the EA's still percive it as a sellers market, and unfortunately it is round my way at the moment. :(

easy Credit + low supply + high 'demand' (from some people - and it only takes a few) = Bubble

Yes i know all those regular tactics, but the point is why accept my offer and then deny there are still viewings when there are, i do think it was a mistake was a young girl who didnt look that experienced to me. If they think there is more money to milk just keep rejecting my bids. Anyway i wont be pushed by anyone what i offered is what i offered and if the survey comes up with issues i will be subtracting more.

if renting wasnt so s**t i'd never buy a house

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I was involved in several bidding 'wars' last year. After I was outbid, on each occasion I would push te other buyer up without means or intention of buying after my initial offer. Spiteful behavior I suppose, but then in each case I lost the house so could justify it to myself.

All in all I would have cost other buyers over €90k in debt and in each occasion there were only two bidders including myself. As a bidder you can always back out after bidding as there is no commitment at that stage when you are costing the other bidder a lifetime of debt.

I have told people about my biddings before and heard the insults etc. I actually get some fun out of it.

crazy times we live in ....

HOLA4411

What a twit!

HOLA4412

Sadly, the swear filter has prevented me displaying my true feelings regarding your bitter, odious behavour. How can you honestly rejoice about adding a lifetime of extra debt on some poor sod who happened to outbid you on a property you wanted?!

You sir,are a complete C word!

HOLA4413

I have only ever bought 2 properties but both times I have made my offer conditional on the property being taken off the market immediately. I would withdraw the offer in the circumstances described and definitely would not shell out on a survey until the seller showed some commitment to the sale