Tax Abuser Of The Week

dog

HOLA441

Tax abuser of the week

Director of Children's Services

Hammersmith and Fulham

West London

£124k

As our Director of Children's Services you will be an inspirational leader, who can motivate staff, partners and stakeholders and have a strategic and practical understanding of this complex agenda.

Most pointless job of the week

Diversity Director

Greater Manchester Police

Greater Manchester

£60,648 - £66,714

In this new, high profile role, you will lead within GMP a team dedicated to developing, promoting and advising on all diversity related issues. You will ensure that our 12,000 strong workforce supports and reflects our community.

Book and chair job of the week

Chief Executive

Hadrian's Wall Heritage

£100K

You will provide highly visible leadership, cohesion and focus to this new organisation. As adept at building national and international partnerships as you are engaging local communities.

Other tax abusers

Director of Children & Young People's Services

Devon County Council

Devon

£120K

When it comes to giving children and young people the best possible start in life, Devon County Council have already laid solid foundations. As a nationally recognised leader for positive change, we aim, through our Pathfinder trust.

STRATEGIC DIRECTOR - ADULT, HEALTH AND COMMUNITY SERVICES

WARWICKSHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL

Warwickshire

Up to circa £110,000 (salary under review)

It’s an exciting time to join us in Warwickshire as we shape our services for the future.

Director of Community and Housing London Borough of Merton

London Borough of Merton

South London

£106k

You will bring a strong vision and the leadership skills and determination to drive through changes to modernise each of these services with their own set of challenges.

Head of Physical Regeneration and Development

London Borough of Newham

East London

£95,000

You will provide the vision and drive to radically transform both Newham's urban landscape and its economic fortunes. With a team of over 100 staff covering a range of functions that includes planning, transport and economic development.

Assistant Director (Customer Contact and Communications)

Bexley Council

South London

c. £70k plus benefits

Taking a lead role in our Best Value Performance Plan, you'll set even higher standards, helping to improve a London Borough that's already rated as excellent, and to improve our communications.

HOLA442

Book and chair job of the week

Chief Executive

Hadrian's Wall Heritage

£100K

You will provide highly visible leadership, cohesion and focus to this new organisation. As adept at building national and international partnerships as you are engaging local communities.

You've worn me down. WTF is this. The wall has been there 2,000 years, but it now needs a heritage trust? Have I been asleep, is it April fools day?

Edited by murpaul

HOLA443

You've worn me down. WTF is this. The wall has been there 2,000 years, but it now needs a heritage trust? Have I been asleep, is it April fools day?

Wow £100k, I can't wait to see the posts defending this one ...

HOLA444

murpaul

What surprises me is speed at which our public sevices seem to have been engulfed by an army of self serving and highly political people. It is as though a silent coup has taken place. The jobs they create for themselves and the huge salaries they take seem almost provocative. They have a language of their own and they seem to take great pleasure in imposing their power on people. Why for example should council tax valuers give themselves powers to go into private homes with a camera.

HOLA445
Guest Bart of Darkness

Maybe they shuld hire some brickies instead.

HOLA446

murpaul

What surprises me is speed at which our public sevices seem to have been engulfed by an army of self serving and highly political people. It is as though a silent coup has taken place. The jobs they create for themselves and the huge salaries they take seem almost provocative. They have a language of their own and they seem to take great pleasure in imposing their power on people. Why for example should council tax valuers give themselves powers to go into private homes with a camera.

The question I'm asking myself is who authorised this? Who is handing out £100k jobs like this, I really want to know.

Who is paying the salary? Where is the money coming from. Really, this takes the biscuit. Do you have a link, I want to contact the people responsible for an explanation.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Maybe we could persuade the Italians to take it back. If this is the kind of money required for its upkeep - thats only the CE salary, whats the full cost - , then they are very welcome to it. Or maybe we could break it up and use it to build houses? Just a thought.

Cheers.

http://www.hadrianswallheritage.co.uk/area/index.htm

This is them. Nice work if you can get it. I will contqact them and get back to you.

HOLA4412

Maybe we could persuade the Italians to take it back. If this is the kind of money required for its upkeep - thats only the CE salary, whats the full cost - , then they are very welcome to it. Or maybe we could break it up and use it to build houses? Just a thought.

Cheers.

http://www.hadrianswallheritage.co.uk/area/index.htm

This is them. Nice work if you can get it. I will contqact them and get back to you.

£100k to live in Northern England - that must be in the top 1% of salaries for that part of the country. I see from the website that they have 15 staff - pretty highly paid top job then - 15 people and some stone - that's got to be worth £100k of anyone's money. Guess whose money - yes the taxpayer as this is funded by two "Regional Development Agencies" - they're a waste of space themselves.

HOLA4413

I know you and I haven't seen eye to eye before dog :blink: , but, even I have to admit this is a stinker.

£100k to be the head of anything in the heritage world is ridiculous. I don't think I know of a salary above about 75k (London Museums Director) and certainly in my little world the highest salary is under 50k. There can be no justification for that level of salary.

HOLA4414

£100k to live in Northern England - that must be in the top 1% of salaries for that part of the country. I see from the website that they have 15 staff - pretty highly paid top job then - 15 people and some stone - that's got to be worth £100k of anyone's money. Guess whose money - yes the taxpayer as this is funded by two "Regional Development Agencies" - they're a waste of space themselves.

That's in the top 1% of earners in the entire country!

"Anyone who has an income of £92,000 or more pre-tax is in the top per cent of earners in the country."

Source: Tony Atkinson, Nuffield College, Oxford University

HOLA4415

It's merely "The Project" being enacted.

The State knows best, therefore best if all are reliant, directly or indirectly, on the State for employment.

The important question is, can or will this ever be reversed?

Note how difficult it is for the Conservative Party to talk about tax cuts. They have to go more on the lines of "greater efficiency in the use of resources".

This implies that size of the State Sector and indeed it's expansion is a given.

You see, what else is there for most of our Politicians to do? Except meddle in our lives, telling us how to live and establishing the structure to enforce that.

HOLA4416

Re. the Hadrians Wall CE job....

looked on their website and there's no contact details - probably to avoid the likes of us...

the problem with this stuff is that the private sector 'job title ramping' fixation has well and truly hit the public sector. Someone who has 20 staff staff under him isn't a 'Chief Execuive' he is a middle manager, and should be paid as such. you can also see on the website (www.hadrianswallheritage.co.uk) that their markeing dept. consists of two people - one a 'director' and the other a 'manager' (and exactly how does one brand a wall as anything except....a wall. IT'S A WALL PEOPLE!). Again - blatant ramping of job titles to get higher salaries.

Goes on in the private sector (I worked for a US company where everyman and his dog got to be a 'VP' if they licked the right backsides) but it's not our bloody tax money paying for that is it? Scandalous.

HOLA4417

Mind boggles. This is a stinker, as others have said. The waste of money is frustrating, and this country could do with a bout of smaller government, but what is equally frustrating (for me at least!) is that this sort of job is just so quango-tastic. Over the last 20 years, many Governments, of different hues, have been busy hiving off central civil servants into 'quangos' (Quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisations) on the basis the staff of such quangos wouldn't show up as 'civil servants' per se in the stats and so the Governmnent could be seen to be getting tough on bureaucracy. The laughable and annoying thing is that Quangos are well and truly out of control and appear to be able to circumvent all normal Government guidelines regarding salary structures and so are actually increasing, not decreasing, waste.

I work for a Department of State based in London and very few people have salaries over 50,000, with only the top 8 or 10 people in a Department of several thousand people earning over 100,000. Given that these folk are responsible for very large budgets and huge swathes of policy, this isn't unreasonable. But for the Director of the Hadrian Wall Agency?!**?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It 's high pressue stuff in the fast-paced world of ancient walls. Not for the faint hearted. Those tough enough to cope with the paradigm shift have normally undergone their training in the world's elite schools of paint drying observation.

Hadrian's wall CE: "Hello MD of ultra large international mega-co. Would you like to sponsor our wall?"

MD: "Why would I want to do that?"

HWCE: "Errrrr...good question"

MD: "release the hounds"

HOLA4420

Can't let those "Great Wall of China" b*stards outwall us again this year...

I wonder if Hadrians Wall production/maintenance/observation/whatever the hell the CE is in charge, of can be moved to China and then re-imported, afterall the Chinese can make walls cheaper, faster and better than the British (with Italian sub-contractors) nowadays. "Great" walls can now be exported all over the World at half the cost of traditonal historic walls!

HOLA4421

it gets worse...

they are planning on recruiting at least 15 others (http://www.hadrianswallheritage.co.uk/opportunities/index.htm)

lemme see now lets say about:- £50,000 for each of the director jobs, £30,000 for the managerial jobs, £20,000 for the officer jobs and £15,000 for the admin jobs you get:-

(£100,000 x 1) + (£50,000 x 3) + (£30,000 x 6) + (£20,000 x 2) + £15,000 x 4) = £530,000

Plus employers' NIC at roughly 13% = £69,000

Plus contributions to the much vaunted public sector pensions schemes at christ knows how much and you (or rather we, the taxpayer) are probably looking at the best part of £750,000 pa in wages and benefits in kind alone.

unless they are going to install turnstiles on the frickin' thing and charge an admission fee! :P

if you dig around on the site, the closing date for the chief exec job is 28th november - anybody here fancy applying for it - i think you need an MBA. <_<

HOLA4422

A quick update.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no contact details on the website to complain. So, I have booked an appointment with my MP ( Peter Ainsworth - Con ) for 03/12/05, to see if he can look into this, I guess its the sort of thing he's paid to do.

Have heart, I read in the papers at the w/e, Telegraph I think, about a councillor who complained about one of these sorts of jobs in his area and had the post withdrawn. I cant remember the details, I was in the pub Sunday afternoon reading it. I'll keep you updated.

HOLA4423

A quick update.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, there is no contact details on the website to complain. So, I have booked an appointment with my MP ( Peter Ainsworth - Con ) for 03/12/05, to see if he can look into this, I guess its the sort of thing he's paid to do.

First class!

HOLA4424
HOLA4425