House Price Crash Forum

Write Your Own Law

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10057557/Write-your-own-laws-and-win-prizes.html

Let's work on a housing law. Some starting points here:

- Restrict mortgages to an amount deemed affordable for the mortgagor and low-risk for the lender, even in adverse economic conditions;

- Ban interest-only mortgages;

- Only allow housing equity withdrawal to fund improvements to the property in question;

- Allow a mortgagor to surrender the property to the lender and default on the loan, with no legal recourse for the remaining debt;

- Tax the ownership of multiple homes;

- Cancel the tax breaks for buy-to-let investors;

- Cancel local housing allowance;

- Cancel support for mortgage interest;

- Cancel the right to buy scheme;

- Introduce capital gains tax on the primary residence, in place of stamp duty;

- Ease the restrictions on the land available for residential property;

- Build more houses.

That's 113 words...

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
Guest TheBlueCat

I think I'll go with 'Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law'. Seems like it would just about as effective as the current setup.

HOLA445

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10057557/Write-your-own-laws-and-win-prizes.html

Let's work on a housing law. Some starting points here:

- Restrict mortgages to an amount deemed affordable for the mortgagor and low-risk for the lender, even in adverse economic conditions;

- Ban interest-only mortgages;

- Only allow housing equity withdrawal to fund improvements to the property in question;

- Allow a mortgagor to surrender the property to the lender and default on the loan, with no legal recourse for the remaining debt;

- Tax the ownership of multiple homes;

- Cancel the tax breaks for buy-to-let investors;

- Cancel local housing allowance;

- Cancel support for mortgage interest;

- Cancel the right to buy scheme;

- Introduce capital gains tax on the primary residence, in place of stamp duty;

- Ease the restrictions on the land available for residential property;

- Build more houses.

That's 113 words...

I agree with all the "cancel" bits but a lot of the other things are a bit arbitrary and hard to enforce, it would be better IMO to use market forces to make lenders much more cautious when dishing out money e.g. they can only put a charge on 40% of the value of the property. I would also replace CG and stamp duty with an LVT.

HOLA446
Restrict mortgages to an amount deemed affordable for the mortgagor and low-risk for the lender, even in adverse economic conditions;

A better way would be to limit the amount you could borrow against any property to a reasonable multiple of it's rental yield- this way at least house prices would track incomes.

HOLA447

In anticipation of the day, coming soon, that people will be judged, sentenced and punished in an entirely automated system, integrating GPS, CCTV, communications interception, facial/voice/word recognition, satellite & aerial photography, international police databases, dromes armed with rockets, pattern recognition, predictive behavioural software, psychological profiling, unlimited government access to people's bank acounts, automated issuance of everything from a parking ticket upwards, etc., etc., I propose the following law:

"This law must be broken".

From what I have seen in countless sci-fi films, a paradox such as this will cause smoke and flames to pour out of all the computers controlling the Orwellian state spying machine, thus setting mankind free.

HOLA448