House Price Crash Forum

Cambridge News Article

HOLA441

The meteoric rise of Cambridge house prices is unsustainable and will cause ruin when they come crashing down, a property price analyst has warned.

David Furlow, founder of cambridgehouseprices.co.uk, said there is a “Cambridge delusion” in which people have been conditioned to assume house prices will only go up.

But the market is artificial because it is propped up by low interest rates, money printing and the Government’s faulty help to buy schemes, the internet entrepreneur said.

More at link.....

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/House-price-bubble-will-burst-in-Cambridge-20130430060000.htm

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

What a hero. Prices in the city particularly, and the surrounding 10 miles are silly and nobody should be paying that much to live within commuting distance of work. Unfortunately it will take some big companies to decline before housing costs do as the ever increasing concentration of skilled jobs in the area is still bringing in floods of prospective homeowners.

HOLA445

What a hero. Prices in the city particularly, and the surrounding 10 miles are silly and nobody should be paying that much to live within commuting distance of work. Unfortunately it will take some big companies to decline before housing costs do as the ever increasing concentration of skilled jobs in the area is still bringing in floods of prospective homeowners.

Hopefully, the Cambridge effect wont be so concentrated in Cambridge in the future. I know Astra Zeneca's new campus will be by the A11, probably closer to Haverhill than Cambridge, and housing is a bit more affordable haverhill way. The other direction, i think they want to convert RAF alconbury or one of the disused air bases to business parks bearing the Cambridge name. Again, prices more affordable up there.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been a long time reader of this site and appreciate some of the knowledge shared. Unfortunately Cambridge seems to be hugely inflated, a hotbed of BTL and investment.

Certainly stirred up some controversy over here, especially from VIs. Most enjoyable.

Dave

HOLA449

Thanks for the comments guys. I have been a long time reader of this site and appreciate some of the knowledge shared. Unfortunately Cambridge seems to be hugely inflated, a hotbed of BTL and investment.

Still value to be found though.

You can get a 2 bedroom terraced house with no parking for £400k near Mill Road, or or a mere half million pounds you could buy a townhouse with no real garden in the ****-end of Cherry Hinton.

HOLA4410

Certainly stirred up some controversy over here, especially from VIs. Most enjoyable.

Dave

Thanks, and keep up the tweets Dave. I'd be interested to know how many homes are in Cambridge are privately owned, i.e. non-University, non-BTL. Considering the number of jobs Cambridge supports there must be a very small number of homes available for OOs.

That, and the dire state of the A14, is acting to cap Cambridge's growth potential.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Many times. Its no worse than Newmarket or Huntingdon IMO however (in fact id say its nicer than Huntingdon). It does have a strange smell blowing over it on most days from one of the factories (i forget which)

The factory is (was) IFF I believe. I haven't smelt it for many years, but it nearly induced my wife when she was 8 months pregnant. That was 35 years ago mind.

The thing about Haverhill is it didn't grow more or less organically, like most small East Anglian towns. There's a few 18th C & earlier buildings, then nothing until a great swathe of back to backs in the late 19th C when the railway arrived. A few more (rather nice) Edwardian villas arrived around the park, then nothing until another great lump of GLC overspill arrived in the 1960s-70s.

They've recently built some modern estates, typically all trying to be a bit different & vernacularish - none too successfully, but they're an improvement on the 60s boxes.

The worst thing is the approach from the south; having driven through a succession of pretty north Essex villages you climb a fairly steep hill, to be confronted by a hideous, decaying industrial estate. It's rather like when I used to drive around the Peak district, turn a corner & suddenly be presented with a huge slag heap & rusty winding gear. The contrast was not favourable.

I won't say anything about the people that live there ...

HOLA4413