House Price Crash Forum

My Local Rag Goes Bear.

large

HOLA441

The Brighton Argus is managing to put a more negative spin on the LR figures than we have!!! What the article says is very true, I've watched large homes plummet in value as the London crowd have stopped coming down this way.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/news/NEWS10.html

"Property market at lowest for years

House prices are stagnant and falling in Sussex with some homes in Brighton and Hove dropping by more than ten per cent, new figures reveal."

Edited by large

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

The Brighton Argus is managing to put a more negative spin on the LR figures than we have!!! What the article says is very true, I've watched large homes plummet in value as the London crowd have stopped coming down this way.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/the_argus/news/NEWS10.html

"Property market at lowest for years

House prices are stagnant and falling in Sussex with some homes in Brighton and Hove dropping by more than ten per cent, new figures reveal."

Theyve archived the story

now here

I used to live in Brighton, moved out to Lewes last year.

IMO Brighton has long been primed for a big fall [it was also a boom-town in late 80's, before it crashed and burned in last recession] - it's a credit card town and the epitome of all that is GB's 'economic miracle' :-)

HOLA448

I'm from Worthing, just down the road and cannot believe how many places are on the market!

The place frightens me, I was there recently and couldn't believe the number of old people milling about, I thought I'd wondered into some bizarre take off of The Prisoner or something until I went to Rustington, which is exactly the same.

Odd place!

HOLA449

I'm from Worthing, just down the road and cannot believe how many places are on the market!

There is definately a change in sentiment around Sussex though, perhaps we are the lucky ones seeing the media turn bearish first?

I'm not surprised about that, prices in Worthing seem to have caught up with Horsham, which has always been expensive (dormitory town for London commuters). I would say that it's fairly static around Horsham, prices don't appear to be moving either way, and I don't see a huge amount of property on the market. The same goes for rental property, it's not oversupplied here, and rents have risen a bit in the last year.

What does surpise me is that Littlehampton is as expensive as Worthing! What's all that about? Could it be because of all those posh flats they are building by the river? The place has very little else going for it other than a big sandy beach (tide out). I lived there for a while, so I feel justified in saying that.

HOLA4410

I'm not surprised about that, prices in Worthing seem to have caught up with Horsham, which has always been expensive (dormitory town for London commuters). I would say that it's fairly static around Horsham, prices don't appear to be moving either way, and I don't see a huge amount of property on the market. The same goes for rental property, it's not oversupplied here, and rents have risen a bit in the last year.

What does surpise me is that Littlehampton is as expensive as Worthing! What's all that about? Could it be because of all those posh flats they are building by the river? The place has very little else going for it other than a big sandy beach (tide out). I lived there for a while, so I feel justified in saying that.

Well being from the capital of the South Coast :unsure: , I can say that Littlehampton is a sh##hole, all those posh flats you mention are right next door to 2 halfway houses for ex-cons ie: murderers etc. right opposite that fishing shop on the corner by travis perkins, the seafront is the drug epicentre of lowlife scumbags, these posh flats are right between them :lol::lol:

And Ltn is well overpriced as you say.

And Worthing was voted the most prosperous place in the UK in a survey somewhere <_<

HOLA4411

I grew up in Brighton & am now in Lewes - my flat in Brighton was worth 80k in the last boom then dropped to 25k by 1994 when I bought it, its now worth about 150K (estimate) though I sold at 100k. Lets hope for a repeat of these kind of falls/rises.. ;)

HOLA4412

And Worthing was voted the most prosperous place in the UK in a survey somewhere <_<

Must be the grey pound!

Worthing isn't what it used to be (then again where is?). It felt perfectly safe to go out in the evening when I was in my teens. Now I think twice before venturing near the chain-like pubs in the main street.

I seem to remember a Worthing entry on the "house prices in your area" section. As a retiree I can see some attraction to moving here, but I think a young person outside elderly care might think twice about buying.

btp

HOLA4413

I seem to remember a Worthing entry on the "house prices in your area" section. As a retiree I can see some attraction to moving here, but I think a young person outside elderly care might think twice about buying.

Indeed, all the old folks will beat them up for their pocket money! :P

P.S. That's exactly what house price inflation does anyway!

Edited by BuyingBear