House Price Crash Forum

Gym Membership For The Wife.

longtomsilver

HOLA441

How can they get that wrong?

Question should be, how can they get it so wrong?

Too much reliance on those wheel calculators to do the maths for you and clearly doesn't know how to work that properly.

Wife said he was early twenties so this might go some way to explaining: labours 13 years of education, education, education which as a consequence left scores of our youth brain dead and lacking common sense.

Anecdotally, her friend rejoined last week (3month membership) so they can do Zumba together. She was told that her ideal weight should be 7stone, nearly spat my coffee out hearing this as for a big boned girl that would leave her emaciated.

Re. TMT: no council king required but thanks for asking.

HOLA442

Question should be, how can they get it so wrong?

Too much reliance on those wheel calculators to do the maths for you and clearly doesn't know how to work that properly.

Wife said he was early twenties so this might go some way to explaining: labours 13 years of education, education, education which as a consequence left scores of our youth brain dead and lacking common sense.

Anecdotally, her friend rejoined last week (3month membership) so they can do Zumba together. She was told that her ideal weight should be 7stone, nearly spat my coffee out hearing this as for a big boned girl that would leave her emaciated.

Re. TMT: no council king required but thanks for asking.

How tall is she?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5297790.stm

The bmi range used to be 20-25

It's now something stupid like 17 isn't it as a low point?

HOLA443

How tall is she?

No. <18 is anorexia nervosa which has significant mortality. 20-24 is your normal, 25-29 is overweight which can be for all sorts of reasons, including big-boned (no, really) or muscular, or just plain a bit overweight. 30+ is obese and above.

The bit in between 18-20 is really open to interpretation, but can be called (low) normal. You can have tall teenagers in this category who are perfectly healthy, or people who would worry you, such as really sick people or people with eating disorders who are borderline anorexic.

Quite frankly I'm appalled that anyone can get the calculation wrong, especially when it is mostly computerised, or with a little wheel calculator.

HOLA444

No. <18 is anorexia nervosa which has significant mortality. 20-24 is your normal, 25-29 is overweight which can be for all sorts of reasons, including big-boned (no, really) or muscular, or just plain a bit overweight. 30+ is obese and above.

The bit in between 18-20 is really open to interpretation, but can be called (low) normal. You can have tall teenagers in this category who are perfectly healthy, or people who would worry you, such as really sick people or people with eating disorders who are borderline anorexic.

Quite frankly I'm appalled that anyone can get the calculation wrong, especially when it is mostly computerised, or with a little wheel calculator.

I will try to dig out the reference I had for sub-20 being ok.

Normal from 18.5 to 25

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index#Categories

The WHO regards a BMI of less than 18.5 as underweight and may indicate malnutrition, an eating disorder, or other health problems,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/tools/bmi_calculator/bmi.shtml

nice slider here

Says I can be 7stone 6 and have a BMI of 18.5

Thinnest I've been as an adult is about 8 stone 4lb though.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Well to me BMI doesn't make much sense at all.

My fighting weight is about 9 stone and I'm 5 ft 5 (and a half maybe!).

When I tell most people this they always say - you're too thin, but I'm not. carrying a bit of muscle but not so much and a bit of fat. I'd have to go below 8 1/2 stone to start looking thin and above probably 9 1/2 to start looking fat. yet I reckon there are guys out there of my height who would weigh 3 stone more than me who would not be fat, simply bigger built than me.

Edit : Just messed around with an online calculator that says I can be up to a tad under 11 stone without being overweight which is total nonsense. I would be a fat ****** at 10.5 stone.

HOLA447

Not necessarily. I'm about your height, and weigh roughly what you would consider fat. I'm not, though, as my body fat % would show. I have a propensity to put on a lot of upper body muscle, like some sort of man ape, and at my biggest I would've been firmly in the overweight by BMI.

So, its a.guide, and a useful one, but it should not take precedence over an eyeball and some common sense.

HOLA448

Not necessarily. I'm about your height, and weigh roughly what you would consider fat. I'm not, though, as my body fat % would show. I have a propensity to put on a lot of upper body muscle, like some sort of man ape, and at my biggest I would've been firmly in the overweight by BMI.

So, its a.guide, and a useful one, but it should not take precedence over an eyeball and some common sense.

:lol:

I'm reminded of those monsters in Cowboys and Aliens.

I know it is only a guide, but the fact that the tolerances are so wide and the range of body frames alter it a lot make it close to useless.

My Dad always used to claim he was "large frame" and thus when nagged by my mum on the weight/height charts would justify his gut on this basis, whereas in reality he wasn't large framed at all.

Seems to me that the people who moan at me for being to thin are invariably overweight women.

HOLA449

Seems to me that the people who moan at me for being to thin are invariably overweight women.

LOL it's funny that but at 8st4 I was told I was too thin. By larger than average people.

I reckon I could have lost a few more pounds and not looked skeletal.

HOLA4410

How tall is she?

My wife is 5'8 and hovers around 9stone, occasionally dipping below (where she's at now). Her friend is (best guess) 5'4 and 10.5-11stone and appears overweight.

OH looks the right weight as a size 8... much healthier compared to when I started going out with her as a size 6.

HOLA4411

The CHEEK of it!

I'm meant to renew my Bannatyne's membership soon... I was going to leave it for another month due to cash flow... but the gym bod told my girlfriend I'd have to apply by the end of this week else I'd have to pay an extra £15 as if I were applying as a new member (or something like that!)! I use it at the weekends and it's pretty handy, but the CHEEK of it! Tempted to just chuck it (though my work does pay for it) but then I don't get my exercise anywhere else.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

My wife is 5'8 and hovers around 9stone, occasionally dipping below (where she's at now). Her friend is (best guess) 5'4 and 10.5-11stone and appears overweight.

OH looks the right weight as a size 8... much healthier compared to when I started going out with her as a size 6.

That's another failing of the BMI. Shorties are overestimated, whereas tall people are underestimated. You could be a tall man with plenty of visceral fat but merely come in as overweight instead of obese. That being said your OHs friend is either fat, or a body builder. ;)

HOLA4415

Yep, I'm 5'7" and hover around 9st5. Depending on the shop, and the fit, I'm anything between size 8 and 12. My own mother has been spreading rumours that I 'don't eat enough'. She's a size 20 (on a good day an 18 in the shops I'm an 8). My size 24 SiL calls me her 'skinny me'.

It's got to the point that I'm tempted to hang up a set of house rules. Anyone bringing up the subject of my weight (or that of my slim husband and kids) will immediately placed on the Wii Fit for assesment. :angry:

Archived