House Price Crash Forum

Occupy Oakland

alexw

HOLA441

Hundreds of riot police tear gassing, using stun grenades, and firing bean bags against protestors. Thousands have taken to the streets in response to police brutality. Local news feeds to television stations cut off at the request of police.

Congrats to the police for turning a small peaceful local protest of 100 or so into a mass event. Shit is well and truly hitting the fan.

433071371.jpg

433075816.jpg

Edited by alexw

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Hundreds of riot police tear gassing, using stun grenades, and firing bean bags against protestors. Thousands have taken to the streets in response to police brutality. Local news feeds to television stations cut off at the request of police.

Congrats to the police for turning a small peaceful local protest of 100 or so into a mass event. Shit is well and truly hitting the fan.

I think it's for precisely the reason above that our Police aren't acting against the protesters at St. Paul's. They don't want to turn them into martyrs and risk it all kicking off again like in Tottenham etc.

Quite a few sites seem to be springing up to spread the news about these protests, all over the world - even in Israel - and it doesn't make the news. (Though it did on Russia Today)

HOLA443

Here's one for the front pages, tear gassing a granny in her motorized scooter. Also reports of at least one person (possibly more) seriously wounded. The injured individual is apparently an iraq war vet. That'll go down well in the states.

dgtfxj.jpg

Edited by alexw

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Another video of peaceful non-violent protestors being tear gassed. This is going to have serious repercussions. OWS needs to give a personal thank you to the oakland mayor for everything he's just done to metasize the size of OWS.

Multiple reports of LRAD sound cannon now in the area. Not sure if they have been used yet.

Edited by alexw

HOLA448
HOLA449

Other than living in a tent and feeling righteous, does anyone know what the Occupy movement actually want to do? Seems a bit odd to get so heavy handed with a bunch of people who seem to completely lack any coherent ethos other than "the system sucks, maaaaan"

I though everyone had Google, but it seems some people can't access it. :rolleyes:

For the 1%, here:

"Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants."

Footnote: As UK MPs have amply demonstrated, there is no point in having a manifesto... as soon as you get anywhere near power it's the first thing that goes out the window ;)

HOLA4410

"Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants."

Clueless hippies, in other words.

HOLA4411

I though everyone had Google, but it seems some people can't access it. :rolleyes:

Miaow!

For the 1%, here:

Yeah, so living in a tent and feeling self-satisfied then.

Footnote: As UK MPs have amply demonstrated, there is no point in having a manifesto... as soon as you get anywhere near power it's the first thing that goes out the window ;)

Well possibly. But not everything goes out the window does it? The Tories appear to be largely sticking to the spirit of their manifesto

HOLA4412

Other than living in a tent and feeling righteous, does anyone know what the Occupy movement actually want to do? Seems a bit odd to get so heavy handed with a bunch of people who seem to completely lack any coherent ethos other than "the system sucks, maaaaan"

The movement is growing - threatening the very system itself: the Matrix. Once enough people lose faith in government, paper money and the banking system the game is over.

The greater the threat to the system the more the machine will react to defend itself. I would not be surprised to see web sites shut down as the 'war' progresses.

Keep this thread bumped and pass it on to other people you know.

Edited by Errol

HOLA4413

Clueless hippies, in other words.

Like this website?

Actually, no. That's not fair. At least they have moved past the talking about things phase and are in the doing things phase :lol:

Basically, they want the current implementation of capitalism to change.

The fact that the police across the developed world are getting upset over a bunch of clueless hippies should tell you that not everyone is as dismissive of them as you are. Imagine if something like this led to the formation of a new political party. How frightening for the establishment.

HOLA4414

I believe they want an end to the current state banking and corporate welfare paradigm.

Or at least so the thousands of signs, the website and anyone interviewed at one of the events says.

HOLA4415

Well possibly. But not everything goes out the window does it? The Tories appear to be largely sticking to the spirit of their manifesto

Which no one actually wants.

Even under the current system the tories are a minority party, small turnout, small %age of the vote in power only through bribery post electoral failure. They've got a mandate the same way the elephant man has a 10 rating on hot or not.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

The movement is growing - threatening the very system itself: the Matrix. Once enough people lose faith in government, paper money and the banking system the game is over.

The greater the threat to the system the more the machine will react to defend itself. I would not be surprised to see web sites shut down as the 'war' progresses.

Keep this thread bumped and pass it on to other people you know.

I think you over estimate it. My guess is, certainly for the UK, it will become another Greenham Common scenario.

HOLA4418

Which no one actually wants.

Even under the current system the tories are a minority party, small turnout, small %age of the vote in power only through bribery post electoral failure. They've got a mandate the same way the elephant man has a 10 rating on hot or not.

My point is the Tories have a set of policies that they are broadly speaking implementing. The fact that I don't personally agree with all of the policies is irrelevant to that point, as is the obsservation that the UK isnt very democratic. If they are going to get rid of one paradigm then they'll need another. They'll need to explain at some point how we are moving from where we are to where they want us to be. I suspect they won't do this, because they don't know. I have every sympathy for the spirit of the Occupy movement, but it is hard to support thin air. This all reminds me of that old joke about the US marine in Vietnam and the VD.

HOLA4419

My point is the Tories have a set of policies that they are broadly speaking implementing. The fact that I don't personally agree with all of the policies is irrelevant to that point, as is the obsservation that the UK isnt very democratic. If they are going to get rid of one paradigm then they'll need another. They'll need to explain at some point how we are moving from where we are to where they want us to be. I suspect they won't do this, because they don't know. I have every sympathy for the spirit of the Occupy movement, but it is hard to support thin air. This all reminds me of that old joke about the US marine in Vietnam and the VD.

Ah I see where you have gone wrong.

You think that if we remove something we need to have a replacement. Poor logic and not so.

If your house is on fire, what do you replace the fire with?

If you are a great big fat ******* and you want to replace all the lard around your midriff, what do you replace it with?

If central banking and government corruption have ******ed your economy, what do you replace it with?

Answer - nothing. You just get rid of the negatives, the fire, the lard and the theft and then carry on, problems solved.

HOLA4420

As I've already mentioned on other threads on the very same subject...

This is the first stage in a process that likely have many stages and take many years. A growing group of people can see for themselves that the current system is failing, not just them, but the majority of people. Right now, they are just angry and feel instinctively that a better solution must surely exist.

The next stages will involve stating how to change that system.

Of course, if the mass media / establishment can manage to dismiss them all as cranks, hippies and dreamers, perhaps we won't get to the next stage. Or more, likely, when we do it will be bloody and painful for all.

HOLA4421

Ah I see where you have gone wrong.

You think that if we remove something we need to have a replacement. Poor logic and not so.

If your house is on fire, what do you replace the fire with?

If you are a great big fat ******* and you want to replace all the lard around your midriff, what do you replace it with?

If central banking and government corruption have ******ed your economy, what do you replace it with?

Answer - nothing. You just get rid of the negatives, the fire, the lard and the theft and then carry on, problems solved.

Nothing is the opposite of something. It is not an absence. I find it hard to believe you haven't read any Laozi. Everything by definition must have an opposite.

HOLA4422

As I've already mentioned on other threads on the very same subject...

My apologies for not following your every utterance.

This is the first stage in a process that likely have many stages and take many years. A growing group of people can see for themselves that the current system is failing, not just them, but the majority of people. Right now, they are just angry and feel instinctively that a better solution must surely exist.

The next stages will involve stating how to change that system.

Of course, if the mass media / establishment can manage to dismiss them all as cranks, hippies and dreamers, perhaps we won't get to the next stage. Or more, likely, when we do it will be bloody and painful for all.

I agree with the above

HOLA4423

Nothing is the opposite of something. It is not an absence. I find it hard to believe you haven't read any Laozi. Everything by definition must have an opposite.

Nope. Nothing is an absence.

Baldness is not a hair colour.

There is no opposite of theft, and all that is wanted is the absence. If you aren't stealing you can be performing one of a near infinite other actions, none of which is mandatory for not stealing to occur. In fact very few things have opposites.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

My apologies for not following your every utterance.

Apology accepted. ;)

Oh and by the way, you might remember this nugget from the Conservative manifesto:

"Create a safer banking system that serves the needs of the economy"

Now, call me strange, but am I the only one who thinks it's rather odd they kicked this one into the (2015) long-grass and at the same time went full steam ahead with cutting benefits, demonising unemployment, etc. Bit of a mystery, almost as if they were in thrall to the financiers...