House Price Crash Forum

Riot Victims Seek More Mortgage Help

Will!

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Why does everyone always demand help when ever something goes slightly wrong? Aren't these people capable of sorting their own problems out without assistance?

We really need to remove the stabiliser wheels that the nanny state has attached to everyone's bicycles and let people fall over now and then.

HOLA445

Why does everyone always demand help when ever something goes slightly wrong? Aren't these people capable of sorting their own problems out without assistance?

We really need to remove the stabiliser wheels that the nanny state has attached to everyone's bicycles and let people fall over now and then.

I think having your appartment building burnt to the ground and finding yourself on the street qualifies as more than 'something going slightly wrong'.

HOLA446

I think having your appartment building burnt to the ground and finding yourself on the street qualifies as more than 'something going slightly wrong'.

That would be really inconvenient. Surely these people have some insurance, or is this event specifically excluded.

HOLA447
HOLA448

So do you propose that fires and flooding are also paid for by the publice purse?

They too are something going wrong and have the same result, destruction of the premises.

Edit: or was it just the phrase you were objecting to, not the argument?

Edited by Redcellar

HOLA449
HOLA4410

RIOT = government payout to cover damage. Some 1800s type legislature I believe.

Insurance typically excludes riot for this reason.

Bizarre! I thought that was what insurance was about.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

RIOT = government payout to cover damage. Some 1800s type legislature I believe.

Insurance typically excludes riot for this reason.

Insurance excludes riot, acts of god and war, because the risks cannot be calculated, and because if these events occur, many claims happen at the same time.

HOLA4413

That would be really inconvenient. Surely these people have some insurance, or is this event specifically excluded.

Damage from civil disturbances is excluded from most policies as the liability is settled by the local police authority. However, as far as I am aware the claim for compensation is still directed via your insurance company. Most of the victims lived in flats so they won't be making the building claim as they only have a lease on the property. The issue is that mortgage payments fall due far more quickly than the compensation is likely to be paid out. Those made homeless also have the problem that they have to pay rent on their temporary residence as well as the mortgage on their burnt out flats. They are in a far worse position than those in short term tenancies who suffered the same fate.

HOLA4414

So do you propose that fires and flooding are also paid for by the publice purse?

They too are something going wrong and have the same result, destruction of the premises.

Edit: or was it just the phrase you were objecting to, not the argument?

Fire and flood are covered by conventional insurance. Riot damage, war etc are not. In those circumstances the claim has always been against the publc purse.

HOLA4415

Insurance excludes riot, acts of god and war, because the risks cannot be calculated, and because if these events occur, many claims happen at the same time.

Acts of god has been dropped hasn't it?

After all, atheists would find it offensive or could argue that it covers nothing at all.

HOLA4416

Acts of god has been dropped hasn't it?

After all, atheists would find it offensive or could argue that it covers nothing at all.

:huh:

The contractual word is sometimes "force majeur".