House Price Crash Forum

Tin House

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Also lots in the former colonies in Southern Africa, many found in other far flung places in the UK, the so called “Tin Tabernacles

I had a look at a tin house in Scotland in my delusional must-keep-on-the-ladder days, but it turned out it was unmortgagable due to its “unconventional construction” Ironic really when you can get a mortgage on a balsa wood & glue newbuild that’ll fall down after a few years.

HOLA444

This one was in Dartford, I know of others in Crayford. It is a type known as BISF (British Iron and Steel Federation) houses. The Building Research Establishment published a detailed study of them years ago. They were designed in the 1940s as a responce to the governments request for house designs that used materials and skills not in short supply.

HOLA445

This one was in Dartford, I know of others in Crayford. It is a type known as BISF (British Iron and Steel Federation) houses. The Building Research Establishment published a detailed study of them years ago. They were designed in the 1940s as a responce to the governments request for house designs that used materials and skills not in short supply.

Tin was more plentiful than bricks, sand? Seems odd but obviously true.

Saw the prog last night, nice job when finished. I also thought prefabs unmortgageable yet she kept referring to the house as "hers" so maybe bought cheaply for cash? I can't believe they would do up a tenanted place although anything's possible where the BBC are concerned. One thing is for sure; that house would be first in the firing line of any scheme to widen the M25.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

How much do they go for? Cant imagine a surveyor looking to fondly - valued at residual land value?

At one stage in the eighties boom they were up to 80-90% of the value of a similar conventional house. At that time the Halifax was one of the few lenders who would lend on them. In the recent boom of course anything went and I saw a number of them sell well. I cant say what the current situation is as since I retired I feel my grasp of the markets fading. The critical thing would be can you get finance and I suspect at the moment you cant. If not stick it in the auction and see what the trade cash buyers make of it.