House Price Crash Forum

Mcafee Commercial Or Avast Free?

Ologhai Jones

HOLA441

I'm a fairly long-time user of the non-commercial Avast anti-virus thingy, and I'm pretty content with it.

With a new machine I'm getting imminently, there's 15 months' subscription for McAfee SecurityCenter thrown in.

Just for consistency with other machines, I'm wondering whether to just uninstall McAfee to begin with and go with the non-commercial Avast. Does anyone think it's worth running McAfee for 15 months just because it's 'free'? Is it actually likely to be better than Avast?

HOLA442

Wouldnt touch McAfee with a barge pole, the computer manufacturers get commission for any subscription arising from a new PC hence why its installed in the first place and the amount of PC's I've had to clean Virii from which had McAfee running is in the hundreds. Same goes with Nortons Anti Virus.

You see these two decided some years ago to create two new markets, a virus market and a malware market, they are still both computer programs with malicious intent but they were greedy so coined and plugged away with some new phrases namely spyware and malware.

Also had to remove a Virus from a machine running Avast as well over a month ago. No big deal, did it all remotely and I just put MS Security Essentials (SE) on in its place but exclude any mapped drives as these will get scanned and slow up the network and exclude any file extensions to isam db files like Dbase et al.

I've seen people complain about isam db corruption caused by MS SE but thats becuase they havent setup their machines/workstations properly.

Only complaint is it doesnt do rootkits but AVG free does but I found AVG free to be quite heavy on the processor compared to MS SE.

FWIW.

Right, so out of a choice between use McAfee for 15 months, then switch to Avast OR just switch to Avast to begin with, it sounds like the latter is winning! :)

Thanks for the advice.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Avast makes computers painfully slow and mcaffee is garbage, I run avira and have no problems.

I didnt choose avira lightly, it was subject to much reading or reviews etc etc.

Yes, I still use avast on pc - it updates regularly. But I removed it from laptop because it screwed responsivity of the touchpad. Made my laptop chuck-it-out-the-window irritating.

HOLA447

Why not try AVG Free? I've been using that for the last 3 or 4 years and never had a problem. It runs silently in the background so you never get any annoying pop ups either

It sounds like I'm pretty much in the same place -- I've been using Avast (free version) for a few years and never had a problem.

Why bother with anti-virus at all? Slows system down etc etc.

This seems a bit of an odd question to me; something like 'why bother with insurance?'

You might decide not to have insurance, but it'd be with the knowledge that there's more of a risk involved without being covered.

HOLA448

Avast makes computers painfully slow and mcaffee is garbage, I run avira and have no problems.

I didnt choose avira lightly, it was subject to much reading or reviews etc etc.

Yes, I still use avast on pc - it updates regularly. But I removed it from laptop because it screwed responsivity of the touchpad. Made my laptop chuck-it-out-the-window irritating.

It's odd -- I've used Avast for quite a long time on all the machines at home (desktops and laptops), and never really noticed bad performance. It's always seemed fine to me.

I suppose it might be worth trying Avira as you've made it sound as if you've looked into it, Number79 -- but I won't know what it would've been like with Avast unless I try that too because it'll be on a new PC.

HOLA449

+1. I also found Avast slowed my computer down to painful levels, and that McAfee is a bu66er to get rid of if you want to - I ended up deleting individual files the uninstall had left behind. Very time consuming. I use Ad Aware and AVG, both free. I've used them for around 7 years and no problems. I've also had Microsoft Security Essentials for a year or two.

HOLA4410

I`m running Win 7 64 bit at the moment, Task Manager shows Avast using 0%.

You should uninstall any software that comes with a new computer.

HOLA4411

+1. I also found Avast slowed my computer down to painful levels, and that McAfee is a bu66er to get rid of if you want to - I ended up deleting individual files the uninstall had left behind. Very time consuming. I use Ad Aware and AVG, both free. I've used them for around 7 years and no problems. I've also had Microsoft Security Essentials for a year or two.

For me it was a close call between avg and avira, couldnt remember the name of the second choice (avg) or why I went for avira but I dont think that there was much in it.

What I do remember is that avast was at the bottom of a long list :)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I used AVG for years but after a major new release (can't remember the version number now) about a year ago I found all our PCs slowed down. I now use Avast and am quite happy with it. On the last couple of new PCs I've just uninstalled McAfee straight away and used the free equivalent.

I've only ever had one problem with antivirus which was a false positive on AVG. I had to download an update on another PC then take it to the problem one and update it in safe mode. Fine after that.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Right, so out of a choice between use McAfee for 15 months, then switch to Avast OR just switch to Avast to begin with, it sounds like the latter is winning! :)

Thanks for the advice.

I personally would go with Microsoft. It is free, doesn't slow the computer down, you only notice it when it finds a virus, and in independent tests it finds more viruses than just about any other anti-virus scanner.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

I personally would go with Microsoft. It is free, doesn't slow the computer down, you only notice it when it finds a virus, and in independent tests it finds more viruses than just about any other anti-virus scanner.

After doing a bit of nosing around, I'd actually begun to wonder whether it might be worthwhile giving Microsoft Security Essentials a go.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about MSE?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

After doing a bit of nosing around, I'd actually begun to wonder whether it might be worthwhile giving Microsoft Security Essentials a go.

Does anyone have anything bad to say about MSE?

Apart from the fact it's made by the biggest virus vendor of them all, Win ME, Win Vista god those virus's where awful. :lol::lol: Both slowed your PC down to a crawl. :lol:

HOLA4425

Apart from the fact it's made by the biggest virus vendor of them all, Win ME, Win Vista god those virus's where awful. :lol::lol: Both slowed your PC down to a crawl. :lol:

Agreed... although given than I'm resigned to having Windows 7 on the machine anyway, what's one more little side-virus among friends? Actually, it'd be pretty funny if MSE spotted Windows ME and Vista as being malware! ;)

From what little I've read, though, MSE compares pretty well with other anti-virus offerings -- and I was just wondering if anyone had any specific tales of woe.

Archived