House Price Crash Forum

Mew For Gold/silver

HOLA441

Serious question. Why not?

If the SHTF anyway, wouldn't it be nice to have your house value turned into gold before then?

They can reposses the house for all I care, but I'll still have my allocated account in Switzerland hopefully worth 10x what I paid for it with the useless bits of paper.....

HOLA442
Serious question. Why not?

If the SHTF anyway, wouldn't it be nice to have your house value turned into gold before then?

They can reposses the house for all I care, but I'll still have my allocated account in Switzerland hopefully worth 10x what I paid for it with the useless bits of paper.....

Tax

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
RAMP AHEAD

Gold is looking like a pretty solid play.

I wouldn't want to "bet the house" on it,but would certainly stash a reasonable percentage of your equity in it.it's always a good plan to spread risk a bit(something the propsters haven't got a clue about)

I have holdings in one of my funds and also a goldline account....but I only have about 20% of my total there,my big play is japan and I have about 50% weighting there(for growth potential and currency fluctuation reasons)

HOLA447
what tax? Say I go offshore when the SHTF... or invest in coins instead?

I am talking about a weath preservation strategy, and tax will be rather low on my list of priorities when the SHTF....

I believe you have to pay CGT on over 8.2K profit, coins.. that would be britannias that are tax exempt but thats alot of coins for an average house sale.

As a wealth preservation stratagy its cool though :)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Question?

Which of the following strategies is more likely to build wealth and ensure a prosperous retirement.

1. Increasing the mortgage on your home via MEW and buying a (car/holiday/kitchen - delete as appropriate)

2. Increasing the mortgage on your home via MEW and buying a pile of real money - gold.

Duh!!!

BAB

HOLA4411
Guest muttley
Question?

Which of the following strategies is more likely to build wealth and ensure a prosperous retirement.

1. Increasing the mortgage on your home via MEW and buying a (car/holiday/kitchen - delete as appropriate)

2. Increasing the mortgage on your home via MEW and buying a pile of real money - gold.

Duh!!!

BAB

Neither of these look like wealth building strategeies to me.Taking out a mortgage to spend on a kitchen or gamble on the price of a commodity are not investment strategies at all.

"Neither a lender nor a borrower be......" as my Dad used to say (before he got sacked from the bank).

HOLA4412
I STRed to buy gold shares, and it has worked like a dream.

But I had years of experience investing in the sector, so I had a reasonablygoodidea of where I was going to park the money. Now the trick will be getting out of the sector at the right time.

well aye, but even you had to start somewhere, right? :)