House Price Crash Forum

Paypal Introducing Fixed Fees For Personal Transaction Payments?

SHERWICK

HOLA441

Just read my amended user agreement from Paypal and saw the following hidden away carefully:

b. to introduce new Fixed Fees for Personal Transaction payments and Commercial Transaction payments received in Malaysian Ringgit and Turkish Lira;

The Personal Transaction fee will be shown at the time of payment.

Domestic Personal Transactions Activity

Fee for payment fully funded by:

- PayPal Balance

- Bank

Fee for payment fully or partially funded by

- Debit card and/or

- Credit Card

Sending or Receiving Free (when no currency conversion is involved) 3.4% + Fixed Fee (see table below)

Sneeky, very sneeky...

HOLA442

I use PayPal to pay money to a non-profit organisation (a club I am a member of) and always pay as a personal payment from an existing PayPal balance precisely to avoid the fees.

If they slap a 3.4% fee on top (after I've already paid a fee to receive the money into my PalPal account), I'll simply pay by cash or cheque... simples!

HOLA443
HOLA444

Well don't pay in Malaysian Ringgit and Turkish Lira; then?

Actually, it should read:

b. to introduce new Fixed Fees for Personal Transaction payments ; and Commercial Transaction payments received in Malaysian Ringgit and Turkish Lira;

In other words. they are introducing fixed fees for all personal transaction payments AND they are introducing fees for commercial transaction payments received in Malaysian Ringgit and Turkish Lira.

Check out the small subtext and you'll see what I mean (if you have a paypal account you would have recently received the amended user agreement).

As I said, very, very sneeky!

HOLA445
HOLA446

I have just reread it.

There is a fee for cross border transactions, 3.8% if you are sending to Northern Europe plus you will still have to accept their derisory conversion rate. In addition there there is a 3.4% transaction fee, even for domestic transaction if your account is backed by credit or debit card.

Perhaps this should be sent to the office of fair trading. They have just ruled against airlines making charges for paying by debit card.

HOLA447

I wish Paypal would crash and burn. They have way too much power over peoples money anyway. Paypal is fine, until it isnt !.......there are some bad stories about Paypal and these problems that have occured with Paypal, may be in the minority but still affect people in very negative ways...Paypal can take money from people accounts when and if they decide, in their eyes the person is at fault without any recourse to any sort of ombdusman...they do not have to conform to the usual banking rules.Due Dilligence with Paypal is well and truly recommended

HOLA448

Just read my amended user agreement from Paypal and saw the following hidden away carefully:

b. to introduce new Fixed Fees for Personal Transaction payments and Commercial Transaction payments received in Malaysian Ringgit and Turkish Lira;

The Personal Transaction fee will be shown at the time of payment.

Domestic Personal Transactions Activity

Fee for payment fully funded by:

- PayPal Balance

- Bank

Fee for payment fully or partially funded by

- Debit card and/or

- Credit Card

Sending or Receiving Free (when no currency conversion is involved) 3.4% + Fixed Fee (see table below)

Sneeky, very sneeky...

More than sneaky. If they mean what you think they mean, then:

to introduce new Fixed Fees for Personal Transaction payments and Commercial Transaction payments received in Malaysian Ringgit and Turkish Lira;

is ambiguous at best, and, at worst, doesn't mean what you think it means.

It would've been clearer to word it:

"to introduce new Fixed Fees for Personal Transaction payments, and for Commercial Transaction payments received in Malaysian Ringgit and Turkish Lira;"

The table further down does seem to indicate that your interpretation is correct -- 3.4% plus 20p (if paying in UKP) if your PayPal balance doesn't completely cover the payment amount.

HOLA449

If they are actually going to introduce these charges, then it'll destroy a good chunk of their market just like that, I'd have thought. In my case, I will stop using PP to pay for any transaction that has a fee-free credit or debit card alternative, which basically means everything except low-value goods from private sellers on Ebay.

HOLA4410

I use PayPal to pay money to a non-profit organisation (a club I am a member of) and always pay as a personal payment from an existing PayPal balance precisely to avoid the fees.

If they slap a 3.4% fee on top (after I've already paid a fee to receive the money into my PalPal account), I'll simply pay by cash or cheque... simples!

Cheque, that won't be around for long.....cash that will be the next thing they will try to do away with. :unsure:

HOLA4411

Archived