House Price Crash Forum

Holyrood Given New Borrowing Powers

HOLA441

BeebNewsReport

The UK government has unveiled plans to give the Scottish Parliament more financial powers.

Holyrood will be able to borrow more money, issue bonds to access cash from capital markets and protect itself from sudden changes in spending levels.

Chancellor George Osborne said it would significantly improve the Scottish government's responsibility.

Perhaps with these powers they too can become a Celtic tiger like Ireland? (ok, a little unfair, but guess who will be called upon to help out if things go pear-shaped? )

HOLA442
HOLA443

Are they finally going to join the "Arc of prosperity"?

SNP Leader Alex Salmond has today called for Scotland to join northern Europe's arc of prosperity, with Ireland to the west, Iceland to the north and Norway to the east all small independent countries in the top six richest nations in the world. In comparison, the UK is 14th and devolved Scotland 18th

http://www.snp.org/node/10359

HOLA444

Are they finally going to join the "Arc of prosperity"?

SNP Leader Alex Salmond has today called for Scotland to join northern Europe's arc of prosperity, with Ireland to the west, Iceland to the north and Norway to the east all small independent countries in the top six richest nations in the world. In comparison, the UK is 14th and devolved Scotland 18th

http://www.snp.org/node/10359

one out of 3 isnt a bad success rate for a politician, not bad at all in fact, particularly a scottish one

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Scotland has some of the largest banks in the world that were run by Knights of the Realm, so it's only fair that they get the riches they deserve and join the wealthy countries.

I'm all for it and suspect there is more support for full Scottish independence south of the border than there is north of it.

This means no Scottish MP's at Westminster.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I'm all for it and suspect there is more support for full Scottish independence south of the border than there is north of it.

This means no Scottish MP's at Westminster.

I suspect you're right, especially in the South-East. I wonder though if parts of northern England really want to be left alone with the Tory rump...

I personally support Scottish independence, as I know there are just as many able Scots percentage wise as English in England (or other nations). But I do wonder about unintended consequences, and suspect that England will always be called upon to help out if things go belly-up - the same way George magically found billions for Ireland (well, their banks) last December.

HOLA4412