House Price Crash Forum

Deluded Landlord

HOLA441

Stupid deluded landlord wants 10k more than he said for it 2 years ago. Paid 200k, agents value it at 220 to 230. I've plotted the streets landreg sale prices and also for another local area i'm interested in and they show a flat market since 2007 with about 10% falls through 2010 and recent sales evidence from friends is there is another 5% since. On top of that he overpaid for it in 2009!

I hope there landlords rot in hell!

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You offered him £160k? Are you deluded??!

( :P Only joking, TB).

No offence to OP but I don't understand these threads.

If you really like the place and can't find any more reasonably priced alternatives, in a way you can understand why he is pricing right at the top of the market.

Time will tell whether he gets a seller, but not worth getting angry.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Why is he selling? If there is no real pressure on him to do so, then he is bound to want a high price.

If the EAs are telling him it is worth £220k+, I am surprised that he is even prepared to put it on at £210k, especially if he overpaid for it originally.

You need to find a place where the seller is motivated, then go in even lower. ;)

HOLA449

I hope there landlords rot in hell!

If he advertises, issue notice. If he insists upon offering viewings while you still live there - paint "I pity the fool buying this house <your-mobile-number>" on a huge sign in foot-high letters and pad-lock it to the living room radiators. That should do it. :)

While you live there and are paying rent, there's no motive to negotiate.

HOLA4410
  • 6 months later...
HOLA4411

Landlord didn't sell. My guess his wife kicked him out or he had a friend or family member to rent it to cos with no rental advertised or estate agent involved a single person moved in (1 toothbrush in the bathroom window and no curtains put up in the 2 other bedrooms.. We still live in the area and have to walk past it on the way back from school which is awful for my daughter. The Landlord was desparate to get us out earlier than legal (which the agent told him was not going to happen so get over it basically. We had a great property agent through the whole process, the landlord was insulting and unreasonable to him so he totally took up our side of the thing ensuring we got deposit back with no deductions despite small stain of felt pen on the stone fireplace that would not come out.

Mrs TB (who had never seen any of these postings until today)

HOLA4412

Landlord didn't sell. My guess his wife kicked him out or he had a friend or family member to rent it to cos with no rental advertised or estate agent involved a single person moved in (1 toothbrush in the bathroom window and no curtains put up in the 2 other bedrooms.. We still live in the area and have to walk past it on the way back from school which is awful for my daughter. The Landlord was desparate to get us out earlier than legal (which the agent told him was not going to happen so get over it basically. We had a great property agent through the whole process, the landlord was insulting and unreasonable to him so he totally took up our side of the thing ensuring we got deposit back with no deductions despite small stain of felt pen on the stone fireplace that would not come out.

Mrs TB (who had never seen any of these postings until today)

Brilliant detective work :lol:

HOLA4413

No offence to OP but I don't understand these threads.

If you really like the place and can't find any more reasonably priced alternatives, in a way you can understand why he is pricing right at the top of the market.

Time will tell whether he gets a seller, but not worth getting angry.

+1

Sit and wait. Ten years of missery is coming, no need to add to it with annoyance at others. Sit tight and see it all unfold, then buy the house you want at a reasonable price when it suits you.

Edited by Redcellar