House Price Crash Forum

Mew

HOLA441

OK, I'm going to be devil's advocate for a moment.

There's a lot of talk here at HPC about how householders will have dug themselves into a huge hole by MEWing and spending the dosh on Plasma screen TVs etc.

BUT....

Round where I live it seems like every other house has been extended or had other significant improvements which will genuinely add value to the building (I'm not counting decking or other trends which will look like decayed tat in a few years time).

Could it be that a lot of the MEW has been spent in responsible ways which will not have landed the homeowner in a pile of debt?

Open for debate!! :D

HOLA442
HOLA443

Some may have been spent on improving the house which would add value in the long run but I doubt this accounts for most of the mewing (probably only a small proportion). People have been using equity in their homes to improve their general lifestyle e.g cars, holidays and paying off credit cards (consolidating debt). Of course this debt has already been spent on stuff they don;t even have anymore. I know someone who has been living off their house for years..it has been their main source of income for general living expenses.

You only have to look at the number of people on low/modest incomes who have plasma TV's, MP3 players, laptops, playstations, a TV in every room, mobiles, etc to see where all the moeny has been going.

HOLA444
HOLA445

Agreed, if you had, for example, a 50K mortgage, house now worth (apparently) 250K, and you borrowed an extra 20K to: build conservatory, create extra room in loft, have kitchen done, strip floorboards, fit fireplaces etc, and that extra loan is on a 9 year basis costing approx £200 per month, then that`s maybe not a bad spend. Not all "mewers" have messed up :)

HOLA446
Agreed, if you had, for example, a 50K mortgage, house now worth (apparently) 250K, and you borrowed an extra 20K to: build conservatory, create extra room in loft, have kitchen done, strip floorboards, fit fireplaces etc, and that extra loan is on a 9 year basis costing approx £200 per month, then that`s maybe not a bad spend. Not all "mewers" have messed up :)

I agree, but hell, if you know someone who'll do all that work for 20k, give me their contact details!! :lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I know a home owner who hasn't MEWed!!

In fact he might be in the majority.

It is wishful thinking that everyone who has not joined this forum has MEWed to buy a 4x BMW and a plasma screen.

Of course there will be plenty of examples of people who have,but there are many examples of people who haven't;and plenty of examples of people with huge,but affordable mortgages.SITKOMs (Single Income,Two Kids,Outrageous Mortgage)

We'll have our HPC.......but not just yet.

HOLA4411

A bit off topic but on the subject of markup...

Friend recently had an extension built. A relative of his is a building site manager. All of his materials came, for free, from the building sites his relly worked on, and I was told this is the done way of doing things on sites, the guys just take what they fancy. So that's why newbuilds cost so much :o

HOLA4412
Do you want to wear my dresses as well?

The whole economic argument about extensions is the additional spend versus the relevant increase in value. Thus if someone pays £30k for a loft conversion and it makes the house worth £25k more than the unconverted next door, it could be argued that they've lost £5k. So if they keep the house with loft conversion 5 years, they're effectively renting an extra bedroom for £1k per annum.

dev

HOLA4413

During boom times the money you spend on an extention might be recouped when you come to sell.....

But when property is in a slump, you could spend £30K on an extention and only add £15K to the property.

I think this is why we have seen a period of massive spending on house improvements, as they have made some financial sense for a time (plus the influence of so many TV progs).

Why spend £30K to add half as much value to your house unless you really need the space and don't want to move.

And I would wager that most MEWed money isn't finding its way into extentions or significant improvements.

I would wager that a good portion of MEWed funds is spent on Cars/Holidays/Shopping/Crap decorating etc.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

There's a lot of talk here at HPC about how householders will have dug themselves into a huge hole by MEWing and spending the dosh on Plasma screen TVs etc.

BUT....

Round where I live it seems like every other house has been extended or had other significant improvements which will genuinely add value to the building (I'm not counting decking or other trends which will look like decayed tat in a few years time).

Could it be that a lot of the MEW has been spent in responsible ways which will not have landed the homeowner in a pile of debt?

Open for debate!!  :D

But you don't always get it all back. Before the TV tart-up-your-house fad most talk was that your house had a limit to value based on size of plot, location, etc. so making your ex-LA/****-end-of-town terrrace gold-plated could make it worth little more than the plain house next door.

I'm sure with falling prices, you'll be able to get those 'had the works done' houses for little premium.