House Price Crash Forum

Osborne Tells Bo E They May Launch Qe2

HOLA441

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-10-08/osborne-says-he-d-approve-a-bank-of-england-request-for-monetary-stimulus.html

Osborne Says He'd Approve a Bank of England Request for Monetary Stimulus
By Gonzalo Vina - Oct 9, 2010 12:00 AM GMT+0100 Tweet (2)LinkedIn Share
Chancellor of the Exchequer George Osborne said he is prepared to give the Bank of England the green light for more monetary stimulus if the central bank judges it’s needed to keep the U.K. economy from slipping back into a recession.
Osborne said he will bow to any decision made by the central bank’s nine-member Monetary Policy Committee, led by Governor Mervyn King, to expand its 200 billion pounds ($319 billion) bond purchase program, a strategy called quantitative easing.

Was there ever any doubt that Merv would be receiving printing orders? An end to vigilance and the beginning of the end of the pound, at least for a few years? :(

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I wonder if they are just using the threat of QE to keep the pound from going ballistic ?.

By 'going ballistic' do you mean that it won't fall quite as fast as the dollar and euro (compared to the currencies of Asia etc.)

The pound is over-valued, therefore we have a massive trade deficit....is that not the case?

HOLA447

Combined with the news that they are considering backing off on the public spending cuts in view of the shaky economic outlook, doesn't seem that the Tories are anything different than Labour. Except of course that they are going to scapegoat those on Welfare.

Not really a surprise - none of the mainstream politicians are willing to take the action necessary to get us out of this mess because the public simply won't accept a cut in their standard of living. So full speed ahead for living beyond our means ... until the market tells us to eff off.

HOLA448

Combined with the news that they are considering backing off on the public spending cuts in view of the shaky economic outlook, doesn't seem that the Tories are anything different than Labour. Except of course that they are going to scapegoat those on Welfare.

Not really a surprise - none of the mainstream politicians are willing to take the action necessary to get us out of this mess because the public simply won't accept a cut in their standard of living. So full speed ahead for living beyond our means ... until the market tells us to eff off.

I'm wondering ...

By reducing the income of the poor what does that ultimately do to the income of the rich?

The poor buy stuff and they borrow stuff. Currently the government is borrowing stuff to meet the needs of the poor too. What happens to the rich when less stuff is borrowed or bought?

HOLA449

It's as simple as this, as many I know have found out.

THERE ARE NO JOBS.

No jobs, no growth. Globalisation sucks.

Merv is worried about his charges though....that'd be the private banks...his very job is to protect them.

Edited by Bloo Loo

HOLA4410

By 'going ballistic' do you mean that it won't fall quite as fast as the dollar and euro (compared to the currencies of Asia etc.)

The pound is over-valued, therefore we have a massive trade deficit....is that not the case?

I meant that the threat of QE would put a ceiling on the value of the pound since the markets have to price in the risk. In the absence of QE, the £ would quite possibly acquire "safe haven" status, I mean it does look like a pretty good bet compared to the dollar or the euro.

As for value of pound vs trade deficit that a whole other argument but in essence your right although I think these forces have a very long time horizon, who the hell knows what will happen. Having said that its one of reasons I'm currently diversifying my cash heavily in to surplus & commodity rich economies such as brazil and china - at some point their respective governments attempts to peg the currency at artificial lows to boost their trade surpluses may well fail, if they don't well I've been paid A decent amount of interest in the mean time.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4411
HOLA4412